eBay Make Best Offer Etiquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think you can still block bidders with non payment strikes, poor feedback etc...

I hate eBay sometimes.
Just received an item shipped, from an eBay seller, in its picture box with tape lashed around it and postage labels stuck to it.
Not surprisingly it arrived battered, scuffed and ripped.
Only a box, I know, but if I ever decide to sell I will have to explain the box condition to potential purchasers :(

Anyway...
Makes me laugh when sellers put 'Buyer assumes all responsibility for potential transit damage'.

Yup, those are useful warning signs.. I tend to check in advance with the Seller that the parcel will be double boxed, if the figure has a retail box I want to arrive undamaged..and that its trackable and insured, especially if the shipping is free or very cheap, after a bad experience in the past.. Nothing worse than finally tracking down a figure you want and then it getting trashed by cheap shipping.. I am happy to pay a bit extra to get the shipping I want, negotiated with the Seller.

Think you can still block bidders with non payment strikes, poor feedback etc...

I hate eBay sometimes.
Just received an item shipped, from an eBay seller, in its picture box with tape lashed around it and postage labels stuck to it.
Only a box, I know, but if I ever decide to sell I will have to explain the box condition to potential purchasers :(

Anyway...
Makes me laugh when sellers put 'Buyer assumes all responsibility for potential transit damage'.

What a scumbag.

Did eBay change their T&Cs?.. I know it used to be possible to prevent Buyers with less than 10 (think this was also an editable number ie. you could choose the minimum number)) feedback from bidding on your auctions.. or have the BIN sales terms always been different?

It's been YEARS since sellers have been able to use any meaningful restrictions. You can restrict by feedback total but the 'highest' you can set is -1, which is pointless considering buyers can't receive negative feedback.

They don't prevent people from registering new accounts if their previous buying account is restricted, so apart from setting your items as BIN and requiring immediate payment, there's nothing you can do to weed out the riff-raff.

I also enjoy people who think that because they're buying two statues you can sell each of them for 50% of the going rate. Not sure how that logic works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hate eBay sometimes.

Anyway...

Feel for you there!

I try to box as much as I can, failing that brown paper (as long as it's in a 'shipper' box) and failing that (because let's face it, no one will brown paper a life size bust [emoji23]) then a shipping label goes on the shipper box.

It really sucks that someone would do that

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here's a feature I wish eBay would add. Automatic positive feedback for sellers a couple of weeks after a transaction's tracking number has been confirmed delivered. In other words, if a buyer is too lazy to leave feedback, it's automatically done by eBay with a positive and a generic message like "Purchase delivered YYYY/MM/DD"

Last edited:
Here's a feature I with eBay would add. Automatic positive feedback for sellers a couple of weeks after a transaction's tracking number has been confirmed delivered. In other words, if a buyer is too lazy to leave feedback, it's automatically done by eBay with a positive and a generic message like "Purchase delivered YYYY/MM/DD"

You have my vote!

I also enjoy people who think that because they're buying two statues you can sell each of them for 50% of the going rate. Not sure how that logic works

Funnier is the people that buy the 2 statues and ask for a discounted combined shipping.
These are 1/4 statues and their individual boxes are massive... you can't just throw them in the same box and even if you could find a box big enough to house both individual boxes, you're going to go miles over any size and weight restrictions of standard postal surfaces.

I just offered someone $5 for a Hot Toys Millennium Falcon cockpit that have posted for $1600 OBO. They turned it down, but I think I have a shot if I offer $10 next.

Funnier is the people that buy the 2 statues and ask for a discounted combined shipping.
These are 1/4 statues and their individual boxes are massive... you can't just throw them in the same box and even if you could find a box big enough to house both individual boxes, you're going to go miles over any size and weight restrictions of standard postal surfaces.
Depends. Something like a JSC MJ & Gwen could easily be boxed up together.
As you said, two 1:4 Statues might be a challange.

Depends. Something like a JSC MJ & Gwen could easily be boxed up together.
As you said, two 1:4 Statues might be a challange.

Yea, with USPS instituting a ballon charge for anything over I think 70" combined, you don't really save much when you ship out two statues at once...unless they're small.

I use the ebay global shipping program and it's amazing how many people complain to you about the cost and then expect that you should eat the cost because their country has huge import fees.

There isn't a single ''ebay'' thread that doesn't put me off trying to sell my stuff on there....but on the other hand I've encountered similar annoying stuff selling on this forum so maybe it doesn't matter.

I just had an auction that was buy it now (only) for $350 for the last 3 months. Watchers on it came and went. Just re-posted it with obo and got a hit, lower than I wanted ($235) and countered @ $300 and sold with me covering freight. As long as both buyer and seller are realistic in their expectations it's very easy. All others just decline at the click of a button and move on.

Someone wants $60 and free shipping. I offered $50. Even if he does not counter, I will end up just buying it now. Usually I just try to knock off $10 if there is a best offer option. Seems fair to me. :dunno

There isn't a single ''ebay'' thread that doesn't put me off trying to sell my stuff on there....but on the other hand I've encountered similar annoying stuff selling on this forum so maybe it doesn't matter.

Maybe it's just me but selling on any of the forums or Facebook groups is a million times worse than eBay. At least with eBay you aren't sent dozens of messages asking what the lowest you'll take for the statue is.

It's now the deadline date for the return to be sent back from my buyer and still nothing. No response to my message from last week and no tracking information from them submitted to eBay. Does anyone know if eBay will automatically close/cancel this return?

Maybe it's just me but selling on any of the forums or Facebook groups is a million times worse than eBay. At least with eBay you aren't sent dozens of messages asking what the lowest you'll take for the statue is.

From what I'm hearing that still happens, though perhaps as an exception rather than the rule. I think, maybe once or twice in over 70 transactions on the forum someone just paid what I was asking straight up.

Back