eBay Make Best Offer Etiquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a guy send me 8 messages this weekend about a figure. He ended up buying it, but instead of writing one message with everything he wanted to ask he waited until I answered one question then sent another...and another...and another...

I had a guy send me 8 messages this weekend about a figure. He ended up buying it, but instead of writing one message with everything he wanted to ask he waited until I answered one question then sent another...and another...and another...

I've had that on here. Hyperactive PMing. I've had a guy send me an offer, then a lower offer shortly after, like as though the second PM would cancel out and erase the first PM.

How about a week+ after an auction ends you send the buyer a polite note thanking them for their purchase and wishing them well while at the same time asking if they would kindly leave feedback for the sale (don't even write the word positive in the message). And a week later no reply and still no feedback left. Now multiply that by 4.

I block those people haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm probably guilty of asking too many questions sometimes, not eight messages though.
I like to be sure what I'm buying.

Look what happened when I trusted the 'Brand New' description recently :(

I don't mind questions--I ask them myself when I'm interested in an auction. I think it was just the constant barrage of message popping up that bugged me. At least he bought it after all that.

are we venting here? good lol. Guy on another board today posts for sale an extremely hard to find piece that would complete a set for me at the first great price I've seen it for. Things are a bit tight at the moment but I jump on it anyway. He tells me 5 minutes later he has to rethink the price, he just went on ebay and saw one selling for twice as much.
:slap :gah: :banghead

In the end he didn't bump up the price that much really but just enough to squeeze me a little more than I can afford to be squeezed atm

are we venting here? good lol. Guy on another board today posts for sale an extremely hard to find piece that would complete a set for me at the first great price I've seen it for. Things are a bit tight at the moment but I jump on it anyway. He tells me 5 minutes later he has to rethink the price, he just went on ebay and saw one selling for twice as much.
:slap :gah: :banghead

In the end he didn't bump up the price that much really but just enough to squeeze me a little more than I can afford to be squeezed atm

What a D. I would have paid more elsewhere and not bought from him, then told him what I did. I'd like to pretend that I don't do that all the time.

My buyer shipped the item back and provided tracking number via eBay's returns console. I can't believe they waiting until (literally) the 11th hour (yes, it came in just before midnight). I wonder if they thought the eBay instructions meant they should ship on the 19th and didn't understand that they MUST ship *BY* the 19th. :slap A whole week wasted where I can't resell the item because I'm still waiting.

Definitely keeping a closer eye from now on and if a 0 feedback buyer doesn't contact me before the purchase, I'm cancelling the sale.

Got the return back yesterday and refunded the original purchase minus $5. Unfortunately the eBay site only treats that as a partial refund and didn't automatically close the return.

So I filed a case as "other" and explained that even though the buyer screwed my clear auction, I refunded the majority of their purchase, minus a small amount to cover my shipping/packing expenses. 8 hours later eBay has already replied with an apology and assurance they value me as a member and closed the return and marked the case in my favor.

From the text they included it looks like I could have filed the case initially and not have refunded any money at all instead of accepting the return, but I didn't want to screw over the buyer for what could have just been their own stupidity.

I think in those rare cases both parties are refunded and eBay covers the 2nd amount themselves to keep both parties happy. It happened to me once before.

Does anyone have any experience setting a return policy on an auction with a restocking fee?

Does anyone have any experience setting a return policy on an auction with a restocking fee?

You can set whatever you want, but once eBay gets involved(when buyers don't want to be out any money), that trumps everything. Some buyers may be ok with it, but if they were stupid enough to buy the wrong item in the first place good luck, they are probably going to be a hassle right to the end. Not worth a negative or other BS form them over a few dollars IMO.

You can set whatever you want, but once eBay gets involved(when buyers don't want to be out any money), that trumps everything.

Yes, a buyer is always able to file SNAD (Significantly Not as Described), but I've now checked out eBay's policy on returns and they cover the rest of it, like buyer's remorse, don't want it anymore/changed their minds, etc. Basically if you're an honest seller, the return policy will cover honest returns. Having to deal with dishonest returns will always be a case-by-case basis.

To that end, I'm following eBay's best practises for accepting returns now as well as describing everything as accurately as possible, posting detailed high res photos and further taking photos of packing and shipping, plus of course sending everything with delivery confirmation.

I don't think there's anything truly risk free in sales, even if only accepting cash in person.

That's the thing though, if you describe what you sell well enough you should not have any returns. I put in my listings returns for seller error only, nothing else. I am not messing with "buyers remorse, changed mind" or any of that BS. I am not a retail store. If you don't want it, resell it yourself IMO. It is not my problem unless it WAS my problem which in that case I cover everything anyway. I know for a fact people will still lie and claim whatever to get all their money back even when they got exactly what they ordered. Does not happen often, but when it does not much you can do about it. The worst is when you need them for help with an insurance claim and they don't, opting to file a claim instead that way and you lose the item and the money.

That's the thing though, if you describe what you sell well enough you should not have any returns. I put in my listings returns for seller error only, nothing else. I am not messing with "buyers remorse, changed mind" or any of that BS. I am not a retail store. If you don't want it, resell it yourself IMO. It is not my problem unless it WAS my problem which in that case I cover everything anyway. I know for a fact people will still lie and claim whatever to get all their money back even when they got exactly what they ordered. Does not happen often, but when it does not much you can do about it. The worst is when you need them for help with an insurance claim and they don't, opting to file a claim instead that way and you lose the item and the money.

Scary stuff man. That's why I'm trying to keep my sales exclusive to forum members, if possible.

Made an eBay sale a couple of weeks ago and shipped, now having this interesting issue with USPS on a package destined for the UK. Everyone see the issue here?

September 11, 2015 , 6:04 am
Arrived at USPS Facility
ROCHESTER, NY 14606

September 10, 2015 , 9:23 am
Arrived at USPS Facility
NIAGARA FALLS, NY 14301

September 10, 2015 , 7:31 am
Arrived at Unit
NIAGARA FALLS, NY 14301

September 9, 2015 , 11:00 am
Departed USPS Facility
ROCHESTER, NY 14606