eBay Make Best Offer Etiquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been having some good success listing with Best offer lately. I've used the automatic decline and the automatic accept features with appropriate amounts and everything has been running smoothly for the most part.

Unrelated, but today I have to deal with a common issue when people sell toys. A stupid person who thought they were buying a 1:1 item. I say stupid because of the following:

The auction listed in toys > action figures category.
"1/6 scale" in the listing title
"1/6 scale" in HUGE bold letters in the header title of the HTML of my listing - white letters on a black background header bar
A prominent warning in the body of the listing that this is a 1/6 scale item for action figures/toys and not a 1:1 item for a human to wear
Mentioned that the part is new and just pulled from the box of a toy/action figure

Of course the buyer has 0 feedback, something I missed when the auction closed. From now on, no shipping anything to 0-feedback buyers unless they contact me first (as instructed in the listing). Fsking idiots.

I'll be waiting until the item gets back to me to let them know I'm going to keep $5 - the listing was free shipping, but shipping/effort does cost me money. If I can't get the eBay final value fee back I'm going to have to keep more.

Ive never had a good transaction with someone with 0 feddback. Never. When i see their bid i void it at least a day before the auction close. When they win with a snipe at the end and i see the 0, i already plan on relisting.

My listings are all Buy it Now, so I don't have the chance to void before they end. :(

I've just sold a bunch of stuff all with buy it now as I find it easier then standard auctions.

If I don't have an idea of what I want (but definitely want it gone) I'll go with the auction and watch it move.
The funny part sometimes is to watch bidding activity / watchers, you can almost see the mentality behind the bidding.

My listings are all Buy it Now, so I don't have the chance to void before they end. :(

I wish eBay gave you the option to block 0 feedback bidders, but they only do -1 I think. Same thing happened to me before selling 1/6 parts and I had all those warnings too. It is unreal. Probably not worth the negative you will get if you withhold the $5, just eat it and move on IMO.

I've already written them an email letting them know that I'll be holding back $5 to cover shipping, so we'll see what happens. I also told them to make sure to use a tracked parcel and insure it because if it's damaged or lost on the way back they don't get any refund at all. The auction was listed with a "no refunds" property set, so I'm being a pretty good sport about the whole thing I'd say.

I've already written them an email letting them know that I'll be holding back $5 to cover shipping, so we'll see what happens. I also told them to make sure to use a tracked parcel and insure it because if it's damaged or lost on the way back they don't get any refund at all. The auction was listed with a "no refunds" property set, so I'm being a pretty good sport about the whole thing I'd say.

Good luck sir. I used to work for ebay in the resolution center. Sounds like the buyer is clueless so I doubt they'd even know they can open a dispute, but if they did and they won the dispute, you'd have to give all the money back. Then again, I worked for ebay in America and I see you live in Canada. I don't even know if ebay has a Canadian site, but if they do and that's what you used, it might be different. Sounds like you gave a clear description of what you were selling though, so even if the buyer opened a dispute, you'd probably win it. How much did you sell it for?

The just filed a return request - which I'm surprised eBay let them do since I turned on the "no returns" option. I agreed to the return and then sent them the email. If it turns out I have to return the full proceeds then I'll file a dispute myself. And I'll stop offering free shipping and instead add that on separately, as it's totally unreasonable that the seller eat the original shipping charge because a buyer wants to make a return simply because they don't know how to read.

I'm selling on eBay's US site and it was an item around $35.

I also want to get my final value fees back - but I can't even see the refund request in the resolution center - trying to cancel that transaction claims a case is opened though. Argh, I've been on eBay since 1999 and their web site has sucked the entire time.

Last edited:
The just filed a return request - which I'm surprised eBay let them do since I turned on the "no returns" option. I agreed to the return and then sent them the email. If it turns out I have to return the full proceeds then I'll file a dispute myself. And I'll stop offering free shipping and instead add that on separately, as it's totally unreasonable that the seller eat the original shipping charge because a buyer wants to make a return simply because they don't know how to read.

I'm selling on eBay's US site and it was an item around $35.

Why not just say to bad and don't take it back? Not your mistake.

you may state no returns on your eBay listing, but the buyer protection clause trumps it always. if the buyer is not satisfied with the purchase due to what they might claim be item not described or damaged, ect ect... you'll be refunding them upon return of the merchandise. Now buyers remorse is a different issue which goes in favor of the seller if proven the buyer is doing such.

I didn't write "no returns" in my listing however, I used an ebay preference setting when listing - that option shouldn't really be there if it allows this kind of return. This isn't a dispute, this is "buyer mistake" the specific reason is "wrong size or doesn't fit" - which again, I ask, why is that an option in the action figures category?

I didn't write "no returns" in my listing however, I used an ebay preference setting when listing - that option shouldn't really be there if it allows this kind of return. This isn't a dispute, this is "buyer mistake" the specific reason is "wrong size or doesn't fit" - which again, I ask, why is that an option in the action figures category?

The buyer will flat out lie and claim not as described either way and win, it does not matter what you write or option you select. Happened to me on many occasions. I just had a guy say I misrepresented an item's color when I clearly had a pic of the actual item right on the page and never claimed it was the color he was looking for. You can only hope they don't leave a negative even when you give them their money back.

I'd like to help you.

Honestly, the best thing you could do is call eBay's resolution center and speak to someone. Explain to them what you've explained to us. Being completely honest, when I worked there a few years ago, I got a few cases like this for 1/6 items and I almost always closed the case in favor of the seller, so long as the description clearly states it's not for a human to wear.

You'll get your final value fee back if a refund is given. The "no returns" option only covers buyer's remorse. I'm not saying you're a scammer, but I used to speak to sellers nearly EVERY DAY who would list an item, put no returns, and then put something completely different to what they listed in a box and send it to the buyer. Then they'd expect ebay to be powerless because they said no returns in the listing. If the buyer claims it's not what was advertised, then ebay can step in and force a return. I do agree with you that ebay shouldn't even have the option on there if it can be overidden with the buyer opening a case.

If the case is closed in the buyer's favor, you could always make an appeal, although you'll probably be told that the buyer is sending the item back and you're having to give a refund to get everyone back to square one. Worth a shot, though. The best thing you can do is just use the resolution center to communicate to both ebay and the buyer. Ignoring them, or being rude, won't help. But yes, as I said above, you should really give the resolution center a call before they make a decision on the case. Speaking to someone directly is the most effective way of dealing with a case. I hope this all helps, and I hope I am not coming across as a know-it-all. It's just that I am a buyer and seller on ebay as well, and I know sometimes transactions can go poorly, so I like to use my (admittedly dated by a few years) knowledge of working for the company to help other people, especially 1/6 collectors. :)

Thanks for the info and advice, it's appreciated. At the moment there doesn't appear to be anything else I can do via the web site, so a call might be the way to go - I just need to find a number.

There is nothing in Resolution center and I can start a case for this listing because a return is under way (I agreed to the return). I finally found a separate "Returns Panel" where it comes up but nothing else can be edited/changed there right now either - basically the buyer has until August 19th to send the item back, at which point I'm supposed to inspect it and then refund the purchase.

If my understanding is correct, once the return has been initiated and I agree to a return - and the item shipped, it won't be possible for the buyer to open a "Item not as described" case - they've already specified the reason for the return as "doesn't fit" which isn't a claim against the contents of the listing.

At the end of the day I just want things to be fair for everyone. I'm happy to take a return so long as it's a standard and equitable arrangement. In any other business, a seller is typically not to refund original postage they've incurred and selling fees imposed by a site like eBay should of course be reversed because the transaction has essentially been nullified. I do wish eBay also supported nominal restocking fees, but I'm not concerned with that for this transaction.

Did eBay change their T&Cs?.. I know it used to be possible to prevent Buyers with less than 10 (think this was also an editable number ie. you could choose the minimum number)) feedback from bidding on your auctions.. or have the BIN sales terms always been different?

As others have said, many countries 'distance selling' consumer laws are slightly tilted in the Buyers favor (since most of those laws were enacted after problems with Sellers) and the initial cost of postage is refundable, because generally the buyer will have to pay a (non refundable) trackable courier charge, to return the goods for a refund.
Generally speaking if you want to put a disclaimer on items you are advertising to sell, you need to check the applicable consumer law first.. because if your disclaimer is in contravention of consumer law, you are wasting your time including it in the advert, it will have no legal standing.

Unfortunately, even making your advert 'idiot proof' as possible, is no guarantee you will not occasionally encounter an individual, with webbed feet and a banjo..

Think you can still block bidders with non payment strikes, poor feedback etc...

I hate eBay sometimes.
Just received an item shipped, from an eBay seller, in its picture box with tape lashed around it and postage labels stuck to it.
Not surprisingly it arrived battered, scuffed and ripped.
Only a box, I know, but if I ever decide to sell I will have to explain the box condition to potential purchasers :(

Anyway...
Makes me laugh when sellers put 'Buyer assumes all responsibility for potential transit damage'.

Back