1:9 Scale - The Sweet Spot Between 1:12 & 1:6

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally, I really like the 1/9 Beast Kingdom figures for the most part. The Dark knight Joker and Batman are really amazing. The 89 Batman, I really liked for a bit until I got the Mezco 89. Which blew the Beast Kingdom out of the water with all the QC issues of the BK 89 Batman. I will be purchasing the 66 Batman and Robin. With my interest more into props and prop replicas, I would rather dedicate space to those than 1/6 figures. I am still buying 1/6th scale figures, but I am just being more selective.
I was really curious about the Ledger Jokers they did! I’m happy to hear they are good & so is their Bale Batman. I just went for the ‘89 Batman on eBay and got him for less than market price so I was like that’s fair. Lol I’ll see what I can do with him when he gets here. I’m at the same stage as you though in terms of still doing some 1/6 but being super selective. I’m curious because I don’t see a lot about prop collecting, what’s your favorite prop in your collection?!

I have several. Maybe my favorite might be the stunt suit from John wick 3 or the Henley from John Wick 2 (which is just a J Crew Henley… surprisingly). I also collect watches, etc…

Attachments

• 461707D5-E124-498C-BFD6-33DBDCCE2981.jpeg
    461707D5-E124-498C-BFD6-33DBDCCE2981.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 76065440-BAA1-487B-BEC9-D29B0587C826.jpeg
    76065440-BAA1-487B-BEC9-D29B0587C826.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
I've never gone for the 1/9 scale. I started at 1/12 and then moved to 1/6 scale. I do have a few Anime/Manga statues at 1/8 scale though.
It does seem to be a good size though, but nothing I collect is released in this scale, and I would prefer 1/9 over 1/12 scale if they offered the same figures.

I have several. Maybe my favorite might be the stunt suit from John wick 3 or the Henley from John Wick 2 (which is just a J Crew Henley… surprisingly). I also collect watches, etc…
Wow! Especially impressed with the Suit with the faux blood on it! That’s so cool!

I've never gone for the 1/9 scale. I started at 1/12 and then moved to 1/6 scale. I do have a few Anime/Manga statues at 1/8 scale though.
It does seem to be a good size though, but nothing I collect is released in this scale, and I would prefer 1/9 over 1/12 scale if they offered the same figures.
Seriously this is true I feel like that is the only thing keeping it from being a preferred scale is the sort of lack of diversity in the scale. It’s kind of a lose/lose too because if collector don’t buy from say Beast Kingdom…because they don’t do some franchise or they only do limited characters…while you have the 6” scale 3.75” offering tons of options…It doesn’t incentivize the business or the collector. I’m really hoping some brave company hits a stride in the 1/9 scale and we’ll see if it’s viable. Until then it’s always one shortcoming feeding the other.

Quiet on the 1/9th front at the moment. A bunch of preorders still that have been previously posted. I’m looking to NECA to roll out another new Retro figure or 2 before the year is over. Beast Kingdom looks like they will be dropping another new Batman (Affleck) figure preorder for his appearance in the recent Flash film.

I post that when it comes out, but I don’t think many of us were too impressed with that newer suit. What was your opinion on the suit?

In between figures I do some photography to keep the collection bug busy. I revamped NECA’s 8” New Nightmare Freddy. I wanted the hat to be more of an olive color but couldn’t find anything I was happy with so made it a lot darker. Great figure!

Attachments

• IMG_0142.jpeg
    IMG_0142.jpeg
    681.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9857.jpeg
    IMG_9857.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Beast Kingdom looks like they will be dropping another new Batman (Affleck) figure preorder for his appearance in the recent Flash film.

I post that when it comes out, but I don’t think many of us were too impressed with that newer suit. What was your opinion on the suit?

Here is the preview of the new Affleck figure from BK’s Instagram page.

Attachments

• IMG_9858.jpeg
    IMG_9858.jpeg
    281.3 KB · Views: 0
The Beast Kingdom Jack Sparrow is like a mini-Hot Toys. The level of attention to detail is amazing.
It's a shame the Davy Jones isn't up to the same standard.
I usually reserve the 1/9 and 1/8 scales for my vintage collections like Mego and Fighting Furies, though but I do have some of the NECA releases and the Biff Bang Pow Venture Bros. line.

The 1:9 or 1:10 is a nice sweet spot of a scale that I actually preferred at one time. The size had a nicer presence than 1:12, more weight and detail, and was less cumbersome than 1:6, with an overall substantialness that felt just right for action figures. The scale actually has quite a long history that dates well back before our current 1:6 and 1:12 lines. We often mistake it for the Mego figures, but there have been many others in this scale. ...

My little nephew loves the Sigma Six guys I got him. I basically bought an entire collection loose and complete. Close to maybe 100 figures total. Didn't pay much to be honest, the guy seemed like he really wanted them gone for space. I'd wager they are about 1/9th. The mix of cloth in the line raised some interesting questions about having the choice to use cloth or plastic in some cases. These were super durable.

Hell, I loved this line too. Just sorting them for my nephew was an interesting experience. The design and modularity was super creative. The added size also allowed more detail.

The potential is there, the big question though is always how much "support" a new scale would get from the entire hobby.

I remember getting some beat up like 5th hand Micronauts as a kid. I thought they were pretty awesome, but vintage Star Wars basically reshifted the entire toy industry and while Micronauts were cool, it's not like, AFAIK, there wasn't much support around the scale.

I hate to say this, but the Mego body type is a classic for a reason. Extremely robust. I had mostly LionRock knockoffs of Megos, but I'm not seeing why to reinvent the wheel here. If it's going to be standard human figures, we wouldn't see the bodies underneath the clothes and gear most of the time anyway. I'd say for production cost savings, just reboot the core Mego body type with some improvements.

My little nephew loves the Sigma Six guys I got him. I basically bought an entire collection loose and complete. Close to maybe 100 figures total. Didn't pay much to be honest, the guy seemed like he really wanted them gone for space. I'd wager they are about 1/9th. The mix of cloth in the line raised some interesting questions about having the choice to use cloth or plastic in some cases. These were super durable.

Hell, I loved this line too. Just sorting them for my nephew was an interesting experience. The design and modularity was super creative. The added size also allowed more detail.

The potential is there, the big question though is always how much "support" a new scale would get from the entire hobby.

I remember getting some beat up like 5th hand Micronauts as a kid. I thought they were pretty awesome, but vintage Star Wars basically reshifted the entire toy industry and while Micronauts were cool, it's not like, AFAIK, there wasn't much support around the scale.

I hate to say this, but the Mego body type is a classic for a reason. Extremely robust. I had mostly LionRock knockoffs of Megos, but I'm not seeing why to reinvent the wheel here. If it's going to be standard human figures, we wouldn't see the bodies underneath the clothes and gear most of the time anyway. I'd say for production cost savings, just reboot the core Mego body type with some improvements.

It's been done, with Type S bodies...But I like how Beast Kingdom has expanded the body type. I like the Superman body design. The new Super Joe bodies are a similar build to the Type S/Mego body but taller.

Attachments

• Type S.jpg
    Type S.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 131625565_393173585237761_3385511663128116843_n.jpg
    131625565_393173585237761_3385511663128116843_n.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 0
The Beast Kingdom Jack Sparrow is like a mini-Hot Toys. The level of attention to detail is amazing.
It's a shame the Davy Jones isn't up to the same standard.
I usually reserve the 1/9 and 1/8 scales for my vintage collections like Mego and Fighting Furies, though but I do have some of the NECA releases and the Biff Bang Pow Venture Bros. line.
The Jack Sparrow is definitely on the list at some point! Still probably going to pick up Davey Jones too even though I’ve been hearing the same sentiment about him. What do you think it is about the DJ figure that brings it down a step? Is it the paint app? As a future purchaser I want to know what I’m getting into there 🤣

The Jack Sparrow is definitely on the list at some point! Still probably going to pick up Davey Jones too even though I’ve been hearing the same sentiment about him. What do you think it is about the DJ figure that brings it down a step? Is it the paint app? As a future purchaser I want to know what I’m getting into there 🤣

The Davy Jones is just really uninspiring. No cloth clothing, highly limited articulation. It was an opportunity to do something really special and deserving of this fantastic character design and they just dropped the ball, it was delayed by nearly a year too, so expectations were very high from me. I actually got the Jack Sparrow on the promise of the Davy Jones.. so I was more than a little disappointed..

Oh, and talk of Micronauts! Always been a favourite toy line since I was a kid.

The lion's share of my collection is a permanent display.. other figures, ships, carded ones are displayed elsewhere.

1691307340809.png

The Davy Jones is just really uninspiring. No cloth clothing, highly limited articulation. It was an opportunity to do something really special and deserving of this fantastic character design and they just dropped the ball, it was delayed by nearly a year too, so expectations were very high from me. I actually got the Jack Sparrow on the promise of the Davy Jones.. so I was more than a little disappointed..

Oh, and talk of Micronauts! Always been a favourite toy line since I was a kid.

The lion's share of my collection is a permanent display.. other figures, ships, carded ones are displayed elsewhere.

View attachment 654373
Micronauts are the best! I still have most of my childhood ones...You've got some sweet Takara Micromen mixed in there!

No news on 1/9th figs in the past month. I know NECA’s retooled Captain Spaulding will be coming out shortly, which I look forward to!
Presently just slowly building up my Horror Icons! Recently grabbed the Neca 8” Candyman.
Best version of Tony Todd out there, especially with the fur coat. It’s a shame there aren’t more iterations out there of Tony Todd’s portrayal of the hook-hand boogeyman! And I mean that in ANY scale.

Attachments

• IMG_9975.jpeg
    IMG_9975.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
This is so cool! But I’m a bit pissed as well. I’d love a Dr. Challis figure but I live on the East Coast (and I doubt I’ll get cleared for vacation time if I tried lol!). It’s frustrating when this is so limited & exclusive when this would be an excellent new figure. Idc if it used the same headsculpt from the Night of the Creeps release. Considering we have barely had any new 8” RC figures from NECA this year. This would have been awesome for EVERYONE come Spooky Season…not just those who can make it to the convention 🥺 Great figure though!

Attachments

• IMG_0097.jpeg
    IMG_0097.jpeg
    740.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0098.png
    IMG_0098.png
    10.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0099.png
    IMG_0099.png
    6.3 MB · Views: 0
Back