eBay Make Best Offer Etiquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always reply with a penny less when someone sends me a ridiculous lowball offer. I just had someone offer $100 for a statue that routinely sells for $450-500. Why even waste people's time with that garbage?

That is just as bad as a lowball or worse IMO. Set the auto decline for offers below your range next time.

I don't see how answering a ridiculous offer is worse...

A $100 offer is still a good chunk of money and shows the buyer is serious and ready to spend. Coming back at 1 penny below asking shows that a seller doesn't know what "best offer" means and is an example they're not willing to negotiate in good faith. It's bad form and if you're serious about selling you should avoid doing it. Set your limits in the listing and use only features you're prepared to deal with seriously.

A $100 offer is still a good chunk of money and shows the buyer is serious and ready to spend. Coming back at 1 penny below asking shows that a seller doesn't know what "best offer" means and is an example they're not willing to negotiate in good faith. It's bad form and if you're serious about selling you should avoid doing it. Set your limits in the listing and use only features you're prepared to deal with seriously.

If you're offering 20% of what an item is actually selling for, regardless of the amount, you're not a serious buyer though.
If you offer $100,000 on a house listed for $500,000, would you consider that to be a serious offer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're offering 20% of what an item is actually selling for, regardless of the amount, you're not a serious buyer though.

But the issue is that the item was listed for "OR BEST OFFER" - the person making any one offer doesn't know what other offers are on the table. And some sellers, believe it or not, will let items go for far less than 20% of the asking price.

If you offer $100,000 on a house listed for $500,000, would you consider that to be a serious offer?

I'd never specify "or best offer" on house sale, even if to some people it's implied. But by the same token, if the buying agent had the balls to take that offer from their client to present to the selling agent/broker, that agent/broker has to present it to their client. And sure, just send it back with the original asking price, because it's totally valid for a price to be "firm." On eBay, that would be the BIN price without any OBO option - AKA a "fixed price listing."

For every person asking a fair price, there are two or three others asking ridiculous prices. So if you're serious about selling, especially long term, don't make a habit of treating people poorly, even those you may feel are wasting your time. Use the technology available to mitigate those potential issues.

I'd never specify "or best offer" on house sale, even if to some people it's implied. But by the same token, if the buying agent had the balls to take that offer from their client to present to the selling agent/broker, that agent/broker has to present it to their client. And sure, just send it back with the original asking price, because it's totally valid for a price to be "firm."

That's what I do for a living and when you get buyers like that I just tell them they need to find someone else to work with because I'm not ruining my reputation to present such nonsense.

Someone doesnt just simply start buying Sideshow / Hoy Toys (could keep going with manufactures) without knowing what they are and how much it costs. if you have an item that is £/$100 and someone offers £/$50 then fair enough you can go back with a counter offer.

What irks me is that when you have an item at £/$375 and an offer comes in for under £/$200. The counter offer seems pointless, i still throw one out there but why should I take the time to give a realistic offer back

If the item is only worth £/$200 then ok you should expect an offer of that amount.

When it works the other way. somethings listed at £/$ 210 I offered £/$180 which is reasonable enough. I didn't even get a counter offer back.

I would only put a best offer option if I had some wiggle room or wanted to clear something quick and would consider a lower price.

why should I take the time to give a realistic offer back

Because you're a business person and trying to make sales. When it comes down to it, I don't care how much someone first offers if in the end I get something I'm happy with. If they pay and have no issues doing so, it's money in the bank. There are all kinds of customers to run away from and be paranoid about.

I would only put a best offer option if I had some wiggle room or wanted to clear something quick and would consider a lower price.

That's definitely the way to do it, a lot of sellers don't understand that and use it strictly as a baiting tactic though they have no intention of selling for under the asking price.

An item is only worth what someone is prepared to pay.
That $375 item could be very unpopular making it only worth $200.

It's like expecting retail for a Bucky Barnes PF when they regularly sell for way below.

It's like expecting retail for a Bucky Barnes PF when they regularly sell for way below.

That's exactly what just happened with my Cinemaquette Alien sale.

borat-not-jb.jpg

Because you're a business person and trying to make sales. When it comes down to it, I don't care how much someone first offers if in the end I get something I'm happy with. If they pay and have no issues doing so, it's money in the bank. There are all kinds of customers to run away from and be paranoid about.

That's definitely the way to do it, a lot of sellers don't understand that and use it strictly as a baiting tactic though they have no intention of selling for under the asking price.

I very rarely put a best offer option on my business account simply because I put it as low as I possible can do ;)

If I have some wiggle room because the next items I want more is coming out and I need to free up some cash the least wanted on goes.

You are totally right, it is as much as as someone is willing to pay. Good luck to them if they find it at the price they want

Someone offered me €10 for something I have listed with a BIN price of over €100, it's worth it and collectors know that, I didn't even bother to make a counter offer. Another offered €20 for something I had listed for €40, made a counter offer for €30 and they made another counter offer for €20 again. Both ended up on my block list as this is the kind of buyer who will make trouble if you deal with them. If they're unreasonable when it comes to offers they'll be unreasonable in all parts of a transaction. Also they might buy the item for BIN price only to claim the item was faulty or whatnot and make PayPal give them a refund just so they can still save money. I've had enough trouble with buyers on ebay when I still used the auction format, no need to risk any hassle if I can prevent it before it might happen.

Someone offered me €10 for something I have listed with a BIN price of over €100, it's worth it and collectors know that, I didn't even bother to make a counter offer. Another offered €20 for something I had listed for €40, made a counter offer for €30 and they made another counter offer for €20 again. Both ended up on my block list as this is the kind of buyer who will make trouble if you deal with them. If they're unreasonable when it comes to offers they'll be unreasonable in all parts of a transaction. Also they might buy the item for BIN price only to claim the item was faulty or whatnot and make PayPal give them a refund just so they can still save money. I've had enough trouble with buyers on ebay when I still used the auction format, no need to risk any hassle if I can prevent it before it might happen.

I do the same thing, especially if someone starts asking a million questions, asking for a ridiculous amount of pictures or asking me to confirm that something is "mint" when it's been on retail shelves for years. This is just a buyer that will create nothing but hassles and with ebay, you have no protection as the seller.
I ship everything out the next day, am honest about condition issues when there are any and I pack things better than anyone. It's sad that we now need to take pictures of items as they're packed away and the item in the box to have any protection.

I'm dealing with the opposite right now with a bunch of auctions listed with a low starting bid. (On average less than half of similar auctions....)
People just keep asking me if I'll close the auction at starting price if they pay cash 'cause I'll save on fees'

Seriously? **** off

I actually replied to one with a very fair offer for 'a buy it now' (still much lower than other auctions).
And he replied asking 'why should i pay more than opening bid!?'

I worry the younger generation is actually mentally disabled sometimes.

I always list my items as 'buy it now' with no best offer, yet I continually get people asking "Will you accept a best offer of blah blah for it?", "Will you sell for x amount if I pay straight away?", "I offer you FIVE whole English pounds...provided you bring it round my house in person and wash the pots for me while you're there". If there's no 'best offer' listed, don't make an offer. Either pay the asking price or p**s off. Seriously winds me up. It's not like I even list things at an extortionate mark up or anything. I generally look to recoup what I paid out myself and that's it.

I always list my items as 'buy it now' with no best offer, yet I continually get people asking "Will you accept a best offer of blah blah for it?", "Will you sell for x amount if I pay straight away?", "I offer you FIVE whole English pounds...provided you bring it round my house in person and wash the pots for me while you're there". If there's no 'best offer' listed, don't make an offer. Either pay the asking price or p**s off. Seriously winds me up. It's not like I even list things at an extortionate mark up or anything. I generally look to recoup what I paid out myself and that's it.

Me too, which includes a 10% markup to break even on ebay.

eBay fees are a nightmare plus pay pal fees too. people do forget that eBay takes 10% out of their stupid bid

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sellers who want a minimum of original RRP plus 10% for fees regardless, on everything they sell.. are imho, as unrealistic as Buyers expecting to snag a MIB figure, that regularly sells on eBay for £300+, with a 'best offer' of £30.. Let's not forget, secondary prices can go a long way down from RRP, as well as up.. eg. the usual 'very rare and collectible' description applied to a Hot Toys Tonto, or New Goblin figure.

Lets face it, virtually everything on eBay seems to be described as 'very rare and collectible' by some Sellers, ignoring the fact the Buyer may be looking at three pages of entries for the same item, many of which are much cheaper and in better condition.

I regularly see collectibles grossly overpriced by Sellers in the hope of snagging a noob, 'price no object' Buyer.. those figures get re-listed for 9 months, yet the Seller still acts all butt-hurt, if I have the temerity to offer a genuine market price as a best offer.. stuff that noise.

As others have said, collectibles are worth what a Buyer is willing to pay, if the Seller believes he can get more from another Buyer, fair enough.. but it is not the Buyer's job to shower every Seller with cash, particularly if the Seller has inflated the price.. because you can bet your bottom dollar, the Seller would be haggling for a better price, if the situation was reversed and that Seller was buying!

Imho, a good sale, is one where the Buyer is happy with the collectible plus the price paid, and the Seller is happy with the price received.

Also keep in mind that high-volume sellers are not a single person, you'll likely end up communicating with an employee when you submit a query/offer.

Unrelated to Best Offer but frustrating nonetheless, I just wasted a week of communicating and a month's worth of patience on a seller account. It was a seller I'd bought one item from last year and who has at least a handful of this particular item listed al the time. I write to them letting them know that the current stock level is "last one" and that I want to buy multiple plus some additional of another color and if they're willing to give me a discount for the volume. They come back with "we don't have this product in different colors" - that should have been the clue for me to forget about it right there because not only do they have multiple auctions with multiple colors available, they also have the product listed in their eBay store in non-auction format. So I reply again and tell them they have them listed and even include links to the listings. Next reply comes back saying I can just buy them and select the quantity on the listing page. Really getting frustrated now. Tell them again that the listings need to be updated to add more stock. Reply asking for item numbers - which were already in the previous reply and which is in the subject of the message. I bite my lip and reply saying I only want the one color, increase my quantity and include the auction number - I also let them know that I just tried making a purchase for the one they had listed and eBay blocked the transaction. Their next reply? Just select the quantity in the auction and something something Canada. What? Were they trying to tell me they don't ship to Canada? Auction lists GLOBAL and provides 'Canada' in the drop down list with FREE shipping.

Finally I just had to reply to tell them they're the most useless seller I've had the displeasure of dealing with and thanked them for wasting so much of my time. I handled it pretty cool considering I was just absolutely furious.

Back