DX vs MMS /// Which do you prefer?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LoL yeah I think difabio's statement kinda sums up why people still love Ironman figures no matter how many variations came out.

Good post Di.

Sorry but I'm not down for the whining about iron man thing. "They haven't made my toy but they make another Iron Man?! Boo hoo." I don't own one and don't have the desire to. They can make an Iron Man for every day of the week and a super dooper special edition for the holidays and it wouldn't make no difference to me.

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

Sorry for dragging up old post, but I just thought I would give my opinion this matter.

My problems with PERS

-Thick eyelids creating shadow that shouldn't be there
-Eyes have tendency to be too big
-Translucent Irises look cartoony
-Access Panels can be unsightly

If these things could be addressed I'd be cool with keeping it. Trouble is does HT even see a problem?

No because most collectors of Hot Toys are not so much into accuracy as much as they are into moveable eyes so they can have multiple display options.

I think this is a sculpting problem rather than a problem with the eyeballs themselves.

It's the whole dam system! :gah:

I think all these figures would suffer without PERS. You just couldnt get that final 10% of their personality without pers and non pers would cut posing options in half. These are just a few examples from forum users and there are many many more. Aside from slight accuracy issues these are 3 of the best sculpts Ive ever seen and all are DX. I say bring on more DX just more perfect like these figures.

8545728646_8aedfd72e1_b.jpg

IMG_1012.jpg

2-42.jpg

IMG_0533.jpg

ygxj7kmb.jpg

Hot_Toys_215.jpg

d8e782fa.jpg

b9824240.jpg

photo255.jpg

Sorry, all those figures look like plastic toys to me because of those obvious stupid plastic eyeballs with sun pattern design in the iris that even a 5 year old kid could draw. Meanwhile Enterbay produces head sculpts that look like they jumped out of the screen!

On paper, having PERS that works and looks great is far better than having sculpted painted eyes.

The problem is at this point in time as many of you have said, is that it's 50/50 as to whether it's going to ruin the figure. They should really not have introduced it until they got better at it, but we as consumers accepted and bought the sub-par PERS heads for whatever reasons, which allowed hot toys to continue the PERS on with figures still 'not quite there'

In a couple of years time i'm sure a lot of you (not all) will have changed your opinions on PERS when hot toys actually nails the PERS. It's a gimmick that should really not have the problems it does but alas, it's still WIP and eventually they will nail it and everyone will love to PERS

Just look at the difference in quality of the figures over the past couple of years. It's inevitable PERS will eventually be far superior to painted eyes

They may be able to fix the sculpting process to make the eyes look smaller, but if they continue to use plastic eyes instead of glass eyes their figures will always look like kids toys, so I disagree it is not inevitable. Enterbay scrapped it because plastic eyes lack realism as painted eyes and glass eyes. If they make glass eyes than than PERS will be superior, provided the other issues are fixed.

I prefer MMS, regular old plastic MMS figures.

DX figures tend to be ruined by pers, i'd prefer if DX's were figures that came with an extra outfit instead of pers then they'd have the deluxe feel instead of an MMS with annoying eyes.

Die-cast MMS figure look terrible so far, soft detail, round edges everywhere and huge gaps around joints to prevent chipping, Play Imaginatives Die-cast figures look miles better cause they don't have huge gaps around joints and have nice crisp detail and sharper edges.

I'd still much rather have a standard MMS than a DX or Die-cast MMS, Loki is like the perfect MMS release imo and i think the MK VII will join Loki in those ranks. Some others i'd add to the perfect MMS list would be CR Superman, Iron Monger, Jake Sully and maybe the MK VI, MK I 2.0 & MK II AU

I prefer MMS, regular old plastic MMS figures.

DX figures tend to be ruined by pers, i'd prefer if DX's were figures that came with an extra outfit instead of pers then they'd have the deluxe feel instead of an MMS with annoying eyes.

:exactly:

All of them do IMO regardless if some look fine with it, if they didn't have it they would look more realistic and most likely better likeness. I to would also much rather have another outfit than PERS. DXs should be called DXs not because of PERS but because of extra stuff like you said extra outfit or head sculpt. :wink1:

Die-cast MMS figure look terrible so far, soft detail, round edges everywhere and huge gaps around joints to prevent chipping, Play Imaginatives Die-cast figures look miles better cause they don't have huge gaps around joints and have nice crisp detail and sharper edges

Do you have any comparison pictures between Play Imaginatives and Hot Toys ? I am not really into Iron man so I can't tell what the problems are exactly. :dunno

:exactly:

All of them do IMO regardless if some look fine with it, if they didn't have it they would look more realistic and most likely better likeness. I to would also much rather have another outfit than PERS. DXs should be called DXs not because of PERS but because of extra stuff like you said extra outfit or head sculpt. :wink1:

Do you have any comparison pictures between Play Imaginatives and Hot Toys ? I am not really into Iron man so I can't tell what the problems are exactly. :dunno

Here you go:
attachment.php

Here you go:
attachment.php

Oh I see what you mean, Hot Toys looks awful, I thought since it was die-cast it would look less like a toy but this not only looks inaccurate but very toy like. Oh well at least it will feel heavy like an Iron man suit of armor right? :huh

Power Pose Series only for me, please. DX is so two years ago.

:rotfl :rotfl :rotfl :rotfl

DX hands down! Look at the Joker head sculpts! The DX11 is insane, the Wayne head for the DX12, and a few others. To me there's it's really no contest lol

Err...the Wayne head didn't have PERS to my knowledge. Correct me if I'm wrong. And the batman headsculpt which did have PERS was awful.

Nah, MMS all the way. DX was fun for awhile but PERS is ****ing up (or at least hampering) too many headsculpts, making them too toy-like.

Last edited:
Err...the Wayne head didn't have PERS to my knowledge. Correct me if I'm wrong. And the batman headsculpt which did have PERS was awful.

Yes most people think that hence, why they fixed the moveable eye system on the QS001 and have abandoned PERS, since the eyes now move independently.

Nah, MMS all the way. DX was fun for awhile but PERS is ****ing up (or at least hampering) too many headsculpts.

Not to mention that it is fragile and thus can break easy.:horror

What do you think of the independently moveable eyes? I have Hulk and his eyes look great but he's not exactly a human sculpt. You can't really judge what that same system would look like on a small human headsculpt. Obviously you'd still have annoying, ugly access panels but I wonder would the frontal view of the eyes be any better. I'm thinking not. Least I don't see why the aesthetics would be improved.

What do you think of the independently moveable eyes? I have Hulk and his eyes look great but he's not exactly a human sculpt. You can't really judge what that same system would look like on a small human headsculpt. Obviously you'd still have annoying, ugly access panels but I wonder would the frontal view of the eyes be any better. I'm thinking not. Least I don't see why the aesthetics would be improved.

TBH I don't even like the moveable eyes on the QS001, they look really fake looking as they are plastic and make the cowl look more toyish compared to EBs. Unless the eyes look real like glass eyes some customs have, painted eyes will always look better than plastic eyes IMO, especially when it comes to mimicking Bale's squinty eyes. As for Hulk I have still confused why Hot Toys put the moveable eye system in there in the first place since you can't see his eyes.:cuckoo:

Yeah it is difficult to see his eyes, let alone capture them in a photograph. Most people didn't even know the eyes could move till he started showing up in hand.

Back