DX vs MMS /// Which do you prefer?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love them all...DX or MMS is only a name....marketing strategy. They could make it XX too if they want. Like dragon ball and dragon ball Z.....what the?

DX is working for me... have every DX... damn them.

And DX = deluxe... MMS = Movie Master Series. Most DX are MMS also... so it's technically DXMMS/MMSDX.

I love them all...DX or MMS is only a name....marketing strategy. They could make it XX too if they want. Like dragon ball and dragon ball Z.....what the?

I think this thread needs to be renamed because it's not about whether you like DX or MMS. It's about whether you prefer plastic eyes over painted ones.

I C.

Then it depends, which I'll guess has been mentioned here a lot.

Jack Sparrow looks much better with PERS.

I just read your last couple of posts Darkavatar, and you're right on the money. I don't know why nobody thought about a thread re-name earlier.

I just read your last couple of posts Darkavatar, and you're right on the money. I don't know why nobody thought about a thread re-name earlier.

Thanks Lejuan, really appreciate your support. :1-1:

Maybe someone here should PM Skull to see if he change the name of the thread. :dunno

Ok so I see this thread has got off track a bit, and the name of the thread and my original argument has got lost by some so I thought I would repost my first post to clear it up:wave

Ok so I have been thinking about this topic lately, and have come to the conclusion that I prefer the MMS line over the DX line.

Heres my reasoning,

Looking at the quality of the head sculpts coming from both lines to me the soild sculpted mms line wins hands down. For instance the dx12 batman figure, you get a pers sculpt and a soild sculpt, the pers head with the cowl comes off looking kinda goofy and undersized, you can pose the pers to look better but in the end does not compare the the wayne head included in the set, people have done mod after mod to make the cowled head look better and yet the wayne head is untouched, except to cut it up the put into the cowl by some:lol

Sure you could say the dx set bought that head to release but I'm really trying to point out pers sculpts verse soild sculpts.

Then I look at the dx10 t-800, the sculpt it self is better than the mms117 t-800 in terms of more acturate to arnold, however the thick eyelids and ugly seam tend to ruin the look abit, I still like the figure overall but wonder how much better it would have came out without pers added.

I look at the continueing line of mms figures like bane and solid snake, those head sculpts are F'ing sick, the bane figure esspecially looks to be one of the most photo realistic figures ever produced by hot toys.

Not to say every dx pers head is bad cause thats not the case, but from where I am standing I will always prefer the soild sculpt over the gimic that tends to always detract from the overall realism of any head. Sure pers gives you a few more ways to pose a figure but the trade off is a ugly seam, and a less lifelike figure.

I always see alot of people saying that I wish this figure was a dx, or I hope they make a dx of that figure and all I keep thinking is I hope not. Theres some people for instance that wish the bane was a dx so they could get a few more accessoires, That would have been a tragidy if that were the case, the figure would be 275.00 instead of 190ish and would have a ugly seam and wonky eyes:monkey4

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Ok so I see this thread has got off track a bit, and the name of the thread and my original argument has got lost by some so I thought I would repost my first post to clear it up:wave

I agree with you now I think you should change the name of the thread but that is just a suggestion. :lol

Otherwise your post will get buried and people will just see the name and think you just mean if MMS is better than DX in general. Some MMS figures now have moveable eyes like the Hulk. So maybe all MMS figures will eventually have plastic moveable eyes and look less realistic and less accurate. Therefore, the new MMS will just be the same as the DX figures now.

Last edited:
I agree with you now I think you should change the name of the thread but that is just a suggestion. :lol

Otherwise your post will get buried and people will just see the name and think you just mean if MMS is better than DX in general. Some MMS figures now have moveable eyes like the Hulk. So maybe all MMS figures will eventually have plastic moveable eyes and look less realistic and less accurate. Therefore, the new MMS will just be the same as the DX figures now.

I certainly hope not:panic: I think hulk is a one off kinda thing, they just added it cause they could do to the size of the figure.

As for re-naming the thread not sure its needed, dx has and always will simply stand for a figure with the pers system, it does not mean more accessoires or extra outfits that some seem to thing it implies. There's plenty of examples this is true, there is no argument to be made otherwise.

The only fail this thread has is the fact that I forgot to add a pole to it so we could keep track of the votes:slap

The only fail this thread has is the fact that I forgot to add a pole to it so we could keep track of the votes:slap

stainless_bricks.jpg

Ok, we're all set! :hi5:

I certainly hope not:panic: I think hulk is a one off kinda thing, they just added it cause they could do to the size of the figure.

Yeah I hope they don't either, just imagine how those great Lee So Young sculpts would of looked with PERS or plastic eyes. :yuck

As for re-naming the thread not sure its needed, dx has and always will simply stand for a figure with the pers system, it does not mean more accessoires or extra outfits that some seem to thing it implies. There's plenty of examples this is true, there is no argument to be made otherwise.

Well it's your thread and your choice but it seems most people are confused.

Have you read the latest post in the last few days? This thread was dead for a long time then people started saying DX is better because of the accessories, people don't see it as PERS vs painted eyes. They generally think you mean is DX as a package better than the older MMS versions or current ones. That's why they say look at the head sculpts on the first Joker MMS the DX head sculpts are clearly better than the older TDK line for example. If you don't rename the thread, people like this will continue to pop up and say the same stuff. Then you get the other people who say both lines are good and can't understand why there is even a discussion about this, since to them DX is just a name.

Anyway the choice is yours. :peace

Something that will just never look right about PERS is the fact that the eyelids cannot move, and the eyes cannot change shape. When we look down for example our eyelids move with our eyes. As a result there will be no white showing above the iris. Unfortunately a figure like DX10 cannot replicate this. Having him look down makes it look like he is deliberately doing a manic eyes-wide open expression. Jack Nicholson's Joker gets away with this because I'm pretty sure he did make exactly those faces in Batman 89. But with the T-800 only left and right eye directions work. It really becomes a ''did we need this'' question.

Something that will just never look right about PERS is the fact that the eyelids cannot move, and the eyes cannot change shape. When we look down for example our eyelids move with our eyes. As a result there will be no white showing above the iris. Unfortunately a figure like DX10 cannot replicate this. Having him look down makes it look like he is deliberately doing a manic eyes-wide open expression. Jack Nicholson's Joker gets away with this because I'm pretty sure he did make exactly those faces in Batman 89. But with the T-800 only left and right eye directions work. It really becomes a ''did we need this'' question.
Well said. :)

Then you have the other end of the spectrum - HT HULK.

His eyes are barely open, yet you get PERS. It's almost useless in that instance.

I'm starting to wonder the same thing. While I think PERS has gotten better since it's initial releases.

What if this is as good as it gets????
ScreenShot369.png

Back