DC Joker Movie (Non-DCEU)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
source.gif

Ehhhhh

I don?t want to know lol

I often like to think of that one quote attributed to Alfred Hitchcock: "A great film must have at least three great scenes and no bad ones."

Most of my favorite films fit that criteria and this new Joker certainly does.

Maybe I was being too generous with 7 because some of those scenes I mentioned are part of the same sequence of events.

Maybe a better word would?ve been snippets.

Snippets NOT Snikts lol

Cap wielding hammer and also saying assemble are sequences far enough apart that I could probably get away with labeling them as 2 separate scenes.

Did they had metal detectors back in the early 80s? You'd think a tv show would have some kind of security to make sure someone doesn't sneak in a gun, especially in Gotham with all the political/economical issues and crime.

Nope easy peasy.

I rather watch this sad depressed man put on clown makeup and put on a blood smeared smile in the theater 50 times over than the crap adventures of rey and her forgettable pals.

You can dislike joker all you want but to say the ST is better is absolutely hilarious. Don?t make me get Rixx lmao

:lol :lol :lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still don't buy the lack of security on the Murray show considering all the protests, people in clown masks getting arrested, 3 guys killed by a clown and two cops on life support after getting attacked by clowns. Then Arthur shows up to the building where they film the show wearing clown make up and not one security guard stops him to check him, knowing the climate is so tense and violent? That's bull#####.

I still don't buy the lack of security on the Murray show considering all the protests, people in clown masks getting arrested, 3 guys killed by a clown and two cops on life support after getting attacked by clowns. Then Arthur shows up to the building where they film the show wearing clown make up and not one security guard stops him to check him, knowing the climate is so tense and violent? That's bull#####.

I'm with you. Here, in the future, with 20 years of madmen with guns, I'm glad we have sophisticated methods of detection at movie theaters and schools so I feel safe.

:)

At least they are sophisticated enough to have video taken from an obscure stand-up comedy bar (at an era where video cameras were very expensive). :rotfl

This movie had an unbelievable central performance (JP's body is a character in and of itself in this movie) and was amazingly well shot but has to be one of the bleakest movies I've seen in a long time. And I get what people said when they say it might "inspire" something. When he says nobody knew him before he killed and now they do it was kind of chilling.

I also didn't have a clue what everyone on the streets was so angry about - there was a garbage strike but I didn't get why everyone wanted to murder the rich (other than the obvious) and Arthur's mental illness was created by his mother's mental illness (whether she had an affair with Wayne Sr or not was unclear.) Even the funding cutbacks didn't contribute because Arthur's meds had no effect and his therapist didn't listen and asked the same questions every week regardless. So cutting both had no effect. And while he killed the wall street execs, he could just as easily have killed the teens who steal his sign, who did the exact same thing.

But jeez that murder in his apartment is just brutal. Most of the movie felt and looked like a serial killer movie. You could have removed the words "Wayne" "Gotham" and "Arkham" and just named the movie "Clown" and it would have been a brutal period indie film.

Interesting to see how the last comic book attributes are being stripped away from these characters (Joker 1989 was in a realsitically realized gritty comic book world, Joker in 2008 was closer to reality but still had comic-y elements - I get this is non-DCU but this had basically no comic book aspects ) IN the sequel, I imagine Batman will simply be a guy with a bat tattoo on his chest and driving a black classic car and that's it.

This movie did reinforce what towering achievements Taxi Driver and King of Comedy were - movies about something, major themes of their time. This is the second movie that felt like a blending of two classic films where the new film pales in comparison to the other two (the other one was "Ad Astra" with "2001" and "Apocalypse Now.)

You could have removed the words "Wayne" "Gotham" and "Arkham" and just named the movie "Clown" and it would have been a brutal period indie film.

Ha!

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=186633&p=10198471&viewfull=1#post10198471

Like if the movie was titled "Clown" and was not a DC flick? I'd still think it was great. And would probably be saying "This non-Joker Joker is better than the real one!" lol

It almost didn't feel like a DC film anyway and more like an M. Night Shyamalan or A24 flick.

:hi5:

I'm about to go deep. Do the cops chasing Joker mean or symbolize something? Maybe Arthur's conscience.

After Arthur kills his mother, co worker, and makes fun of the midget we see him dancing on the steps, finally free and happy. His clown makeup is flawless. Then as he is happily dancing, the two cops show up, calling him by his name and chasing him. Arthur does his best to out run them. To outrun his conscience

Then, Arthur gets in the train full of clowns and the place becomes chaotic, almost like the train and the clowns represent him internally, thus the turmoil. The clowns or his mind end up crushing the cops (conscience). And the final shot is Joker walking in slow motion but his makeup is different, he now has a large single blue teardrop on his face, like he's crying because there's no hope for him anymore.

Does that make sense or do I need to go to bed? :lol

Arthur's meds had no effect

I got the impression the meds were keeping him in a stupor and once he stopped taking them his more confident (and violent) true self emerged.

I get this is non-DCU but this had basically no comic book aspects

It actually reminded me of The Killing Joke. That's my favourite Joker origin story and this is the closest anything theatrical has come to it.

All evidence is really pointing more and more to this movie being mostly in his head as Clown so eloquently analyzed there and If that turns out to be the case regardless of how well executed that would pretty much ruin the narrative side of the movie, no.

Remember 2003 Identity directed by Mangold.

I mean it seems like people always turn on movies like this when it becomes clear that it?s all a fantasy regardless if even a well crafted one as this one is and also Identity.

Oops did I just ruin Identity lol

Last edited:

This cannot be. The thought was mine and mine alone!:lol

ThornyOrdinaryHare-size_restricted.gif

I got the impression the meds were keeping him in a stupor and once he stopped taking them his more confident (and violent) true self emerged.

It actually reminded me of The Killing Joke. That's my favourite Joker origin story and this is the closest anything theatrical has come to it.

I dunno - when he talks to the social worker he says the multiple medications don't help. I got the sense it was the events that were occurring that changed his mindset, nit the denial of meds.

As I said, I get the "occupy wall street" type rage but in the movie (which is Gotham, not NY) they didn't provide much of a picture of why everyone was so angry, and the way Joker is at the start and at the end seems to be linked solely to his mother's mental illness decades earlier, not really to the actions of "rich people."

With no context of social tension, you have to wonder how things would have played out if he had killed the gang of youths who steal his sign - who do to Joker exactly the same thing that the wall street guys on the train.

All evidence is really pointy more and more to this movie being mostly in his head as Clown so eloquently analyzed there and If that turns out to be the case regardless of how well executed that would pretty much ruin the narrative side of the movie, no.

Remember 2003 Identity directed by Mangold.

I mean it seems like people always turn on movies like this when it becomes clear that it?s all a fantasy regardless if even a well crafted one as this one is and also Identity.

Oops did I just ruin Identity lol

Yeah, I didn't get why the neighbor woman relationship was all in his head - yet could have easily been believable (in that Cybil/Taxi Driver way) - yet the Rupert Pupkin-like TV appearance on De Niro's show seemed so unbelievable (for many reasons - security questions, the idea someone videoed a comic bombing at a dive club in the 1970s, and show like De Niro's would actually use it, that people would call in about it, that it followed so closely his earlier fantasy about the show, how it plays out was so surreal) but seemingly actually happened.

I had kind of guessed the neighbor was a fantasy because they never show them having sex when - obvioulsy - they would have (to show Arthur's reaction) had it been real.

Would be funny once word gets out that some other guy killed Thomas Wayne the face of the 1% while Joker only killed 3 drunk schmucks on a train and everyone switches their allegiance to Joe Chill lol

I mean does killing three drunk schmucks on the train really impress that much they were just drunk *******s afterall.

I would worship the guy who took out the sober boss.

Last edited:

I like this idea better than them having no affect.

I also don't like the "its all in his head" idea. LOST and Jacob's Ladder were consequently a waste of time. Then again, Wizard of Oz was also a lie.

Also someone pointed out that the trash in Gotham was high due to a strike and people were mad about that. Thomas Wayne was going to clean the trash in gotham. So the people were angry that the trash people were on strike. So maybe joker imagined people thinking that protest was about him and he see?s the city of gotham as clowns who love him

Also someone pointed out that the trash in Gotham was high due to a strike and people were mad about that. Thomas Wayne was going to clean the trash in gotham. So the people were angry that the trash people were on strike. So maybe joker imagined people thinking that protest was about him and he see?s the city of gotham as clowns who love him

:lol:lol:rotfl

So the 11:11 is simply a symbol or calling for Arthur to "awaken"...?

Also someone pointed out that the trash in Gotham was high due to a strike and people were mad about that. Thomas Wayne was going to clean the trash in gotham.

Symbolism: trash = low people

I like this movie (game) more and more.

Back