DC Direct doing Batman The Animated Series figures!!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: DC Collectibles doing Batman The Animated Series figures!!!!!

Wow, DCBS has already filled my Harley Quinn for next week.

Ahh..... I definitely must've imagined that then!

[/URL]

Yes, I also though it was sculpted so I ask her what type of material does she use and she said it's digital.

Just did a quick mock up with hair too :)

Please, send them this image, sfa!
She looks just perfect.

Even if they don't add more hair to her, she'll be a gorgeous figure, regardless. Her face is simply beautiful.

Actually you can already do it, the head is the same of the Mad Love 2 pack :D I think the body is too small for that head so probably TNBA Harley will have a brand new body sculpt :)

My idea is to use BTAS Harley's head on TNBA Harley's body.

This digital head sculpt is great and all but...
Am It he only one concerned about her body sculpt from the shoulders down? It still may put a whole different angle on whether she looks proper or not.

Oh that looks great with more hair added too! The hair on this figure really makes a difference. I really hope they fix that going forward.

Please, send them this image, sfa!
She looks just perfect.

Even if they don't add more hair to her, she'll be a gorgeous figure, regardless. Her face is simply beautiful.

My idea is to use BTAS Harley's head on TNBA Harley's body.

I was considering sending it to them actually. I might just do that, and the one with Zelu's additions too :)

I'm sorry, but are you guys even serious?

View attachment 311712View attachment 311713View attachment 311711

Sometimes I can't believe what I read here.......

I loved the work Kenner did on all of their action figures when I was a kid, but yeah, no way are their sculpts better than DCC with the exception of Combat Belt Batman. But you did cheat a little WGD... Showing old played with figures with paint rubs on the left and your paint customized new figures on the right :nono
Reminds me of those acne or wrinkle cream ads where the before picture always has the person with acne or wrinkles frowning and with no make up on and the after they have no acne or wrinkles but always have great big toothy smiles with super white teeth and their make up is professionally done lol.

I loved the work Kenner did on all of their action figures when I was a kid, but yeah, no way are their sculpts better than DCC with the exception of Combat Belt Batman. But you did cheat a little WGD... Showing old played with figures with paint rubs on the left and your paint customized new figures on the right :nono
Reminds me of those acne or wrinkle cream ads where the before picture always has the person with acne or wrinkles frowning and with no make up on and the after they have no acne or wrinkles but always have great big toothy smiles with super white teeth and their make up is professionally done lol.

LMAO! I did not!

The Kenner figures' pictures I got from this review site: https://www.cooltoyreview.com/BMTAS-Joker.asp
They were, at the time of the reviews, brand new, as per the website

But, yes, the DCC ones have some paint tweaks/fixups to them. :monkey3
Penguin and Joker are mine, and Catwoman is Zelu's.

Oh that looks great with more hair added too! The hair on this figure really makes a difference. I really hope they fix that going forward.

I was considering sending it to them actually. I might just do that, and the one with Zelu's additions too :)

Looks fabulous with more hair.
Please, do send them your mock ups. Any additional hair, especially on her left side, does make a difference.

This digital head sculpt is great and all but...
Am It he only one concerned about her body sculpt from the shoulders down? It still may put a whole different angle on whether she looks proper or not.

I'm quite fine with the body shown on the promo image.
As long as she is as tall as Robin, which appears to be the case (they are both 5.3", as per the solicit list), I'm good.

Now that we know her neck is smaller, thanks to the digital sculpt, she'll be more proportional.
I think you photoshopped her with the head lowered, and she looked quite good.

I'll give you Creeper, Batman, Penguin, and Catwoman, but as much as I dislike the DCC Joker sculpt...

View attachment 311703

View attachment 311704

nsr.gif
I appreciate all the feedback, guys, even if it's mocking my opinions a bit. :)

I won't deny that the DC Collectibles figures have much better detail and paint and I'm a little biased due to nostalgia. At the same time, I do think some of these new figures get less criticism than they deserve. My biggest problem with figures like Joker and Penguin is proportion. Look how small and narrow Joker's eyes are proportionate to his face. There's much more space compared to the Kenner figures due to a massive leap in size, yet they don't use enough of his face for those eyes. I always remember Joker having huge, expressive eyes on the show, whereas in this figure they're almost...beady. I think his eyes look less undersized on the old figure.

I still think Kenner Joker looks cooler and while he may not be as technically accurate and detailed as the DC Collectibles one, he captures the character's spirit more. And that new Penguin is a disaster. I know he's a tricky design to capture in action figure form due to being an odd forcing of Tim Burton's design into the animated series aesthetic. Still, in my opinion, old Kenner Penguin gets much closer to it.

The new Catwoman design is disappointing because she looks so mannequin-like, especially compared to great female figures like Roxy and Zatanna, who each beautifully re-create an attractive character's distinct personality and facial features with gorgeous accuracy.

Don't me wrong, I don't hate this line. I just have high expectations for it, because when its products are good, they're some of the greatest action figures I've ever seen. I know the sculptors have potential to create superlative work like Roxy, Zatanna, Mad Hatter, and The Riddler, which are a dream come true for me as someone who loves "Batman: The Animated Series" more than any other show and is really picky about detail/accuracy in action figure facial sculpts. Knowing they can make figures like those just makes it a baffling let down when I see something like their Joker, Penguin, or New Batman Adventures Scarecrow.

Obviously the Kenner Joker and Penguin were light years away from being perfect translations of the original designs. I still think, given their limited resources (compared to today), Kenner sculptors did a better job of translating those character designs to plastic with some accuracy. Same goes for Mattel's New Batman Adventures Scarecrow, maybe their finest achievement.

Captain Clown: Kudos on the Larry David GIF, by the way. If I'm going to get my opinion criticized, I'm glad it's at least with reference to another show I like. I'm grateful for all the love Combat Belt Batman is getting too. It may be my favourite action figure ever, influenced by nostalgia, of course.

I hope Batgirl will turn out great - maybe even better than Catwoman whom I love!20161211_083356-1.jpg20161211_083538-1.jpg20161211_083458-1.jpg

I had a basically full set of the old Kenner BTAS and TNBA and STAS figs in unplayed with condition. They were my first foray into action figure collecting (done a lot more since then). I packed them away for a couple of years due to space issues and when I pulled them out I was hit with not seeing through the eyes of nostalgia.

I was stunned how my memory had played tricks on me. I used to think they were amazing and the likenesses were perfect. How wrong I was. This was as this current DCC line was starting and I ended up selling the lot of them in preference to these. Can't say I regret the decision.

I found the improved Catwoman at Comic Cave, but the eye paint of all figures they had there unfortunally sucked. :/

I think that DCC have better sculpts than Kenner but there are kenner toys that are fantastic like Riddler/Creeper/Freeze from the TNBA, Joker/HArley from B&RA, Freeze and scarecrow from BTAS.

I had a basically full set of the old Kenner BTAS and TNBA and STAS figs in unplayed with condition. They were my first foray into action figure collecting (done a lot more since then). I packed them away for a couple of years due to space issues and when I pulled them out I was hit with not seeing through the eyes of nostalgia.

I was stunned how my memory had played tricks on me. I used to think they were amazing and the likenesses were perfect. How wrong I was. This was as this current DCC line was starting and I ended up selling the lot of them in preference to these. Can't say I regret the decision.

As nostalgic as I am (trust me, I am), I never threw or gave away any of my most beloved figures and toys.
And I thank God my parents never forced me to do so, as I know some parents do when their kids are going to college and such.

Like many people here, the Kenner BTAS figure line was my first foray into collecting, too. I love them due to nostalgia. That's why they are still displayed to this day, rather than thrown inside a bag or anything.

This is a sample of my childhood figures (I have more in another closet) mixed with some collector figures.
Here you can see my Kenner BTAS figures.

IMG_2297.jpg

Haha, cute display. Thanks for sharing. I love seeing Buzz Lightyear's 'dad' in the background. :lol

I have separate shelves for the DC Collectibles and Kenner lines now and appreciate both. Got about 8 of the new ones and over 20 of those Kenner characters. I'd sooner be buried with them than sell any off. :lecture

I would be tempted if all the DC Collectibles ones were huge improvements (like Mad Hatter), but they aren't all like that.

Some of those Kenner figures totally hold up. Just saw the new Clayface in store for the first time this week and I still like Kenner's Clayface better. :pfft:

^ Nice! That thing must be huge to accommodate the Batmobile like that. Hope you're planning to have Man-Bat suspended from the top somehow, that would look awesome!

Back