DC Direct doing Batman The Animated Series figures!!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: DC Collectibles doing Batman The Animated Series figures!!!!!

Paul Dini is hosting a Batman Day event in Pasadena today and this was a pic of one of the swag bags he's handing out...interesting to see they went with Jervis Tetch on the blister. Can't wait for this figure! I've asked for some closer pics, so we'll see. jervis.jpg

Paul Dini is hosting a Batman Day event in Pasadena today and this was a pic of one of the swag bags he's handing out...interesting to see they went with Jervis Tetch on the blister. Can't wait for this figure! I've asked for some closer pics, so we'll see.View attachment 213179

Jut awesome, but... Jervis Tetch? Maybe this is a special edition.

I have a feeling the Mad Hatter name might have a copyright issue with Disney... This isn't the first time they have had to call the toy Jervis Tetch-

image.jpg

And if you notice, there is a colon after Tetch... It is possible we just can't see the Mad Hatter name after in that pic. DC did something similar on their Arkham Mad Hatter figure-

image.jpg

He looks awesome though!

Sallah

Last edited:

Yeah, I can see the words "Mad Hatter" on the new TAS figure package.

Just because it is an old story, does not mean Disney didn't acquire the rights at a later date from the author's estate. Plus, I'm pretty darn sure they do own the rights - seeing as they've made about twenty different versions of the story over the years and it wouldn't be logical to produce so many different takes on the same source material, unless you owned the rights to that source material. Otherwise, you'd have to pay royalties to the copyright holder for each and every use of that intellectual property. Also, just because the name harkens back to an old colloquial phrase, "mad as a hatter", doesn't mean you can't trade mark a derivative name. You could argue fair use, seeing as the name isn't actually ever referred to in that exact phrasing, but not when they have a trade mark on the name and especially when the trade mark's holder is Disney. Unless you have a lazy billion dollars to fight the impending legal case... so I'm not surprised DC doesn't want to *** with the big boys at Disney.

Last edited:

I pretty much doupt that disney is the "copyrighter" of Alice in Wonderland. The Story must be way older.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice's_Adventures_in_Wonderland
Okay in the original He is named The Hatter without mad, but still. Disney has no right to claim the characters as their property.

Except that they actually do... And it has everything to do with the addition of "Mad". "The Hatter" (as the character is known in the books) is in the public domain, but there are several active trademarks for different merchandise using "Mad Hatter" (what he was called in the Disney film).

Without a doubt, this is the reason DC has to be clever about how they release Mad Hatter figures. I never claimed they had a trademark on the whole story of "Alice in Wonderland". That would be silly. But on toys named "Mad Hatter" featuring this type of character? Definitely. The trademark argument would basically boil down to this- If DC released a toy simply called "Mad Hatter" that could be confused in appearance with Disney's copyrighted Mad Hatter character, Disney could sue DC (and would likely win). But with DC putting the disclaimer that this isn't just "Mad Hatter" but is distinctively the "Jervis Tetch: Mad Hatter", they have made it clear that this cannot be confused with Disney's Mad Hatter.

Sallah

Last edited:

Also, doupt, is not a word...

Well, this all got me thinking - why would DC be allowed to sell comics featuring their very own Mad Hatter character, but not be allowed to sell merchandise of that character sold under the name The Mad Hatter. Well, I assume that Disney must own a comprehensive merchandising trademark on the name " The Mad Hatter". But it would seem they don't actually own a copyright on the name itself. I just now performed a quick google search and discovered that DC's Mad Hatter first appeared in Batman #48, published in 1948, a whole 3 years prior to Disney's Alice in Wonderland cartoon. So, DC beat Disney to the punch! But it would seem they didn't have the foresight to trademark the name for merchandising. They probably thought he was going to be a more or less, a throw away character, and didn't really warrant any merchandising. But because of this, DC must have some sort of exemption granted and be allowed to continue on with the use of their own Mad Hatter character - but not market any merchandising.

Last edited:

Not entirely sure they ever refer to him as The Mad Hatter in the show.

Yes, they did. Several times.
Off the top of my head, I remember precisely Batman saying "this is beginning to point to our old friend, The Mad Hatter" on the episode "Make 'Em Laugh".

In the context of the show, the name can be used. Same as with the comics... Because you are watching it in action and it is obviously not the Disney version. This is likely the loophole that allows it to exist without Disney going crazy.

But as a packaged physical item labeled as Mad Hatter, Disney has grounds to pursue legal action unless it is differentiated on the product as specifically not being the Disney version. Regardless of the Batman name being on the package, you are still just looking at a plastic figure labeled "Mad Hatter" that could be argued as being close in appearance to the Disney copyrighted version. The books/ cartoon have story presented with the character showing it is Jervis Tetch. This is why they add that to the package... To show it is not Disney's version.

Here is more proof that Disney has a trademark on at least some merchandise labeled with the "Mad Hatter" name-

Disney Mellows Out in Fight over Marijuana Farmer's "Mad Hatter" - Pirated Thoughts

Now in that case, it is related to "herbal" paraphernalia... and Disney still at least started to pursue legal action. An action figure that somewhat resembles their version without a disclaimer noting that it isn't? Yeah, you can be sure they would go after it.

Sallah

How do you guys plan on displaying your Mad Hatter figure?

As much as he does use that "axe", I still don't see that as his classic accessory. I'd rather have his cards and a teacup.
I'm thinking of making a trio of paper cards for him and giving Penguin's teacup/spoon to him.

How do you guys plan on displaying your Mad Hatter figure?

As much as he does use that "axe", I still don't see that as his classic accessory. I'd rather have his cards and a teacup.
I'm thinking of making a trio of paper cards for him and giving Penguin's teacup/spoon to him.

So far, I have been treating these like "mini-Hot Toys" since they are so loaded with stuff. :) Vanilla pose, with the accessories/ extra hands neatly laid out in front and around them.

Sallah

Oh I am PRETTY sorry to be GERMAN and have my issues with english language. Any PROBLEMS with THAT?!

Keine angst, dein Englisch ist sehr schön. Meine Freundin komme aus Deutschland, deshalb bin ich lerne Deutsch... aber ich bin ein schlechter Schüler. :p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Im seriously looking forward to getting Penguin and Ivy when they arrive here in the UK. :D

One thing I can't wait for though is these lines to actually get on track!! It's crazy trying to keep up with what's due out when now, and even DCC can't keep to their newly revised schedule. It seems we may have Bane and Hatter coming out before they're due now, and others like Harley and Robin being pushed back. I'd just love to get one full wave in one go for a change rather than random single figures here and there.

Im seriously looking forward to getting Penguin and Ivy when they arrive here in the UK. :D

One thing I can't wait for though is these lines to actually get on track!! It's crazy trying to keep up with what's due out when now, and even DCC can't keep to their newly revised schedule. It seems we may have Bane and Hatter coming out before they're due now, and others like Harley and Robin being pushed back. I'd just love to get one full wave in one go for a change rather than random single figures here and there.

Sadly, I am not sure they ever will get to a point of full complete waves on one date. In my experience, DCC has a habit of trickling out waves of figures across multiple dates...

Would love to be proven wrong though!

Sallah

It seems to be more of a recent thing with DCC to me. They used to be very good at getting all the figures in one wave out together at the same time, although not always on the originally scheduled date.
Hopefully it will improve in the future, but they've got a lot of catching up to do though.

It seems to be more of a recent thing with DCC to me. They used to be very good at getting all the figures in one wave out together at the same time, although not always on the originally scheduled date.
Hopefully it will improve in the future, but they've got a lot of catching up to do though.

Yeah... Back when they were "DC Direct", it seemed stuff arrived together in full waves. But over the last few years, they have seemingly switched to "ship them as they are ready" mentality.

Sallah

Honestly, I prefer it this way. We get the figures as they arrive and it gives our wallets a little breathing room in between.

Honestly, I prefer it this way. We get the figures as they arrive and it gives our wallets a little breathing room in between.

Same here. Especially since this last quarter of the year is hopefully going to see the release of so many figures.

Back