DC Direct doing Batman The Animated Series figures!!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: DC Collectibles doing Batman The Animated Series figures!!!!!

Super excited about this series. It doesn't bother me at all that they're doing both New Batman Adventures and Batman: The Animated Series. If these things sell like the Arkham line, we should get plenty of both. For the most part, I like the original designs best, but the animation was much smoother in the later show, and those designs translate very nicely in 3D. I have several awesome WB Store cookie jars, Christmas ornaments and an amazing bust that prove that point. I honestly won't consider my collection complete until DCC does both versions of at least every major character. Wouldn't kick the minor ones off the shelf, either...

I had a feeling we might see something like this from DCC as their Arkham line is dying down. I like some of the New Adventures designs, but I wasn't really watching at that point so I'll skip them. I'm really looking forward to Killer Croc, Clayface and Man Bat. I'm sure we will get a hell of a lot of figures from this line, but it will require patience.

Would prefer if they mainly stick with BTAS over TNAB (though I guess with characters like Two-Face the designs are simply streamlined in the latter). That's not to say TNAB had worse designs, heck I would definitely want TNAB Scarecrow, he looked like a beast in that show (just hoping they'd cherry-pick the best designs is all I'm saying). While I'd settle for BTAS Joker, I personally preferred his design in the JLU and Batman Beyond format. It was a perfect mix of the BTAS design with the streamlined look and colors from TNAB, and I thought Hamill absolutely killed it in the role at the time that design was being used. Here's hoping they extend this line up to Batman Beyond though, I'd love to get Terry as Batman and finally, his nemesis Blight especially (I absolutely loved how he just hated his powers as a "supervillain" and actually preferred being a shady businessman in the shadows, brought more problems to him than actual benefits which was oh-so fitting for a Batman villain).

I don't have many 6" figures but I'm going to have to at least get bats and joker.

I like that they started with TNBA for Batman, to warm things up, the redesign was cool, but when they announce TAS Batman, I will go nuts.

Between this line, the black series, TMNT Classics, SH Figuarts super Mario line and the occasional HT, I have no idea where I'm going to put all this figures :gah: Too much awesomeness!!:lol

LOL Look at Joker

I collected the hell out of the original B:TAS line in the early '90s. I'll be tempted by these, but I have no place for 6"ish plastic toys in my collection anymore, so I. . .must. . .resist. . .they'll just sit in a box if I end up buying.

Who says you have to get them all?

Get a Batman, get a Joker, get a Robin and call it a day. That's the mistake I used to make, I'd feel compelled to buy them all. Years later, I'd look back at what I amassed and didn't feel very good at all. Action figure lines that seem infinite are always the culprit, especially Star Wars. I did keep my Kenner lines though. I have all the early Batman, Batman Returns and BTAS stuff, carded/boxed and loose.

This is turning out to be a hell of an anniversary. Less than two months into the year and we've seen an announcement for the 60's show on home video, casting announcements for a new TV Series, and a line of action figures for TAS.

I'd also buy a HARDAC Batman from "His Silicon Soul", that'd be cool in 6" form while making use of the body tool.

BTASHARDAC.jpg
A HARDAC Batman variant would be amazing!! Hopefully they'd give us a couple of display options though, maybe the red eyes cowl but also an alternate head that showed the HARDAC endoskeleton.

Wow this is incredible news. I'll end up buying every single figure in this line. Hardac batman is a must.

I stopped collecting little plastic figures...but this is just too awesome. I'm glad they're doing both versions. If they look as good as the proto pics, I'll be hooked.

They seem a little pricey...
They aren't even up for order yet. I think their MSRP is $24.95 or something but a lot of places will probably mark them down a bit. Most DC Collectibles figures I've got I usually paid between $15 and $20ish which I don't think is bad.

They aren't even up for order yet. I think their MSRP is $24.95 or something but a lot of places will probably mark them down a bit. Most DC Collectibles figures I've got I usually paid between $15 and $20ish which I don't think is bad.

The quality of the figures since DC Direct became DC Collectibles has been pretty impressive too, and now they are adding more articulation on a consistent basis as well as introducing deluxe figures. I'm excited to see where DCC is a year from now.

I wish Hot Toys had the license to do BTAS. I'd love that version of the batmobile.

I hope they make The Phantasm.

I love the larger scale, but I'm not so sure it's really THAT much of an upgrade from what we got from Kenner/Hasbro all those years ago.

The Timm designs are just so smooth with an economy of lines....the added articulation, particularly in the crotch, really takes away from that.

It's damn cool looking and I love that they are bigger and the first true action figures from the property meant for adults and not cheap kids' playthings, but it's a shame there really is no way to preserve the simplicity of the artwork and have meaningful articulation.

Guess it's the age old dilemma....statues vs toys?

I love the larger scale, but I'm not so sure it's really THAT much of an upgrade from what we got from Kenner/Hasbro all those years ago.

The Timm designs are just so smooth with an economy of lines....the added articulation, particularly in the crotch, really takes away from that.

It's damn cool looking and I love that they are bigger and the first true action figures from the property meant for adults and not cheap kids' playthings, but it's a shame there really is no way to preserve the simplicity of the artwork and have meaningful articulation.

Guess it's the age old dilemma....statues vs toys?
I don't think the articulation on these figures takes away that much from the designs. I mean you can say that about any figure really that the joints make it look less real or not as good but that's just part of action figures. If you don't want that I guess statues may be for you more. Personally I always like figures way more though as I like to be able to pose figures how I want them and be able to change things up once in a while rather than just in a static pose like a statue is.

I wish Hot Toys had the license to do BTAS. I'd love that version of the batmobile.
I'll be honest, I love Hot Toys but for a show like Batman: The Animated Series/The New Adventures of Batman their style doesn't seem like it would really work that well. Maybe I'm wrong but I just don't know how well real clothing and detailed head sculpts and whatnot would translate to figures from an animated show.

I definitely think it could work. Look at their Anime figures like City Hunter and Golgo 13:

g0332ec15.jpg

They keep the high quality bodies, paintwork, clothing, and accessories, while appropriately conveying the simplified style of the anime characters. The real clothing would mean few joints, which would help to retain the aesthetic appeal of these designs more than the plastic toys can. But would Hot Toys do it? Probably not.

Back