DC Direct doing Batman The Animated Series figures!!!!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: DC Collectibles doing Batman The Animated Series figures!!!!!

Looking DC Collectibles from outside I see a lot of confusion during last 2 years.

This line was under Kevin Kiniry supervision, then he left DC in Sept 2017.
After that there was a clear empty space that Jim Fletches tried to partially fill it.

So for months customers were left alone (no one answered anymore to [email protected]. Time ago was Kevin Kiniry himself to hear customers request/suggestions).

There was a lot of confusion internally in DC, and Jim Flecther saying that DC would quit from figures an stay only on statues.

After few months they finally announced few new figures for Batman TAS line.

As you remember this line was full of troubles since the beginnin:

• The first 4 figures had visible pegs on legs, and they got broken easily (fixed with a reissue on year later)
  • A lot of delay, release date was never respected.
  • Batman eyes too small (Fixed with expressions pack)
  • Penguin really not similar (glass, face, no cigarette)
  • Batmobile (scratches on poor finish surface, and wheels rubber will got damaged in few weeks)
  • Joker (really not similar) (fixed with expressions pack)
  • Christmas Joker (face not similar)
  • Zatanna (not removable hat)
  • Man bat (too dark)
  • Bruce Wayne head from Expressions Pack (really horrible)
  • Talia really not similar (Face, suit color, holster placed wrongly, different from solicits pic)
  • Clayface (out of scale)
  • Joker Expressions pack (missing Joker cards)
  • Mad Love Pack (they showed solicits pic for Mad Love pack with a BLACK TUXEDO Joker,then solicited again but with METALLIC Purple suit, and finally released it as the regular Joker, with people basically preordered a different looking item from what they got in hand)
  • Batgirl (ridicoulus hair, missing her typical accessories as Grappling Gun and Bolas)
  • Poison Ivy really not similar (Face, wrong color of the suit, and green arm cuff instead of grey)
  • Mr freeze (Wrong colors for Cylinders and gun, missing color on Nora snowglobe as shown in preoders pic)

Cancelled items after solicits like:
  • Batman MOTP cape
  • Joker's car

Masterpiece with Batmobile:
They released the regular Batmobile, then after just 3 months from the original release, DC announced the Deluxe version: with shiny finish + 2 characters with soft clothes and the bat signal (In January).
So everyone who had the regular Batmobile had to sell it to get the new one with extras.
So we all go with the preorders of the Deluxe batmobile. Is it ended? Obiously not, so after people preordered the Deluxe one, DC announced 3 months later (In May) that the extra (batisgnal + 2 chars) will be sold even separately.
So customers made an "useless" preorder in January thinking that was the Deluxe Batmobile set was the only way to get the Batsignal and Soft clothes.

So no respect at all for customers.

Figures from Animated JL only avaiable via DC Universe subscription, only in US, and came with ANY accessories at all!

Last but not the least the GCPD set! It was sold out really in about 3 months, when almost all items of this line were avaiable for years.
Even the expensive sets (Batmobile Deluxe, Batwings, Batcave) are almost all still avaiable after years from original release.

This set was released in really few units, but it wasn't announced like extra limited, or as a special edition. People thought it would be avaiable, or reissued for at least 1 year from original release. A lot of collectors have all the characters of this line and just miss this set.

No one from DC Collectibles was really in touch with customers. On FB page you CAN'T send a message. Via email no one will answer.
This is really sad in 2019.
We are in the sea with DC leading the boat, but no one knows where we are going.

As a loyal collectors of DC Animated line, I feel really abandoned. It's not fair for customers which spent a lot of money for this line (about 1300/1400 $ just for the TAS line, excluding TNBA). We deserve respect. We still don't know if there will be a plan for a re release of GCPD set, if the line will continue after August releases. Nothing and nothing.

Sorry for the outburst.

I totally agree with every single point of your message. At this point I just hope they don't cancel what's been already announced. If Scarecrow and TwoFace came out I will be very satisfied with my idea of "completed line". But I will never, ever collect nothing from DCC again. Difference with companies like NECA or imported ones like Mafex (DAMN! the new Wolverine looks amazing!) or Bandai is embarassing... Yeah, mostly they have different price points but the experience is totally different IMHO. Anyway I'm crossing my fingers to see the wave we wait at ToyFair in February, that would be a good start from here to the distribution time.

Looking DC Collectibles from outside I see a lot of confusion during last 2 years.

After that there was a clear empty space that Jim Fletches tried to partially fill it.

So for months customers were left alone (no one answered anymore to [email protected]. Time ago was Kevin Kiniry himself to hear customers request/suggestions).

There was a lot of confusion internally in DC, and Jim Flecther saying that DC would quit from figures an stay only on statues.

As you remember this line was full of troubles from the beginning:

• The first 4 figures had visible pegs on legs, and they got broken easily (fixed with a reissue on year later)
  • Penguin really not similar (Eyeglass, face, no cigarette)
  • Batmobile (scratches on poor finish surface, and wheels rubber will got damaged in few weeks)
  • Joker (really not similar) (fixed with Expressions pack)
  • Man bat (too dark)
  • Talia really not similar (Face, suit color, holster placed wrongly, different from solicits pic)
  • Mad Love Pack (they showed solicits pic for Mad Love pack with a BLACK TUXEDO Joker,then solicited again but with METALLIC Purple suit, and finally released it as the regular Joker, with people basically preordered a different looking item from what they got in hand)
  • Batgirl (ridicoulus hair, missing her typical accessories as Grappling Gun and Bolas)
  • Poison Ivy really not similar (Face, wrong color of the suit, and green arm cuff instead of grey)
  • Mr Freeze (Wrong colors for cylinders and gun, missing color on Nora snowglobe as shown in preorders pic)

• Batman MOTP cape
  • Joker's car

They released the regular Batmobile, then after just 3 months from the original release, DC announced the Deluxe version: with shiny finish + 2 characters with soft clothes and the bat signal (In January).
So everyone who had the regular Batmobile had to sell it to get the new one with extras.
So we all go with the preorders of the Deluxe Batmobile. Is it ended? Obviously not. So after people preordered the Deluxe one, DC announced 3 months later (in May) that the extras (batsignal + 2 chars) will be sold even separately.
So customers made an "useless" preorder in January thinking that the Deluxe Batmobile set was the only way to get the Batsignal and Soft clothes characters.

Figures from Animated JL only avaiable via DC Universe subscription, only in US, and came with ANY accessories at all!

Last but not the least the GCPD set! It was sold out really in about 3 months, when almost all items of this line were avaiable for years.
Even the expensive sets (Batmobile Deluxe, Batwings, Batcave) are almost all still avaiable after years from original release.

This set was released in really few units, but it wasn't announced like extra limited, or as a special edition. People thought it would be avaiable, or reissued for at least 1 year from original release. A lot of collectors have all the characters of this line and just miss this set.

No one from DC Collectibles was really in touch with customers. On FB page you CAN'T send a message. Via email no one will answer.
We are in the sea with DC leading the boat, but no one knows where we are going.

As a loyal collectors of DC Animated line, I feel really abandoned. It's not fair for customers which spent a lot of money for this line (about 1300/1400 $ just for the TAS line, excluding TNBA). We deserve respect. We still don't know if there will be a plan for a re release of GCPD set, if the line will continue after August releases. Nothing and nothing.

Sorry for the outburst.

Agree in almost everything, but not gonna lie, I'm so happy with how this line designs look, I think they are spot on, few 1/12 lines have that kind of visual impact in my opinion. But companies sometimes have their own times and schedules so maybe if we are patient, some things(as the GCPD set re-release ) are done :pray:.

Well, the ankle joints in my Penguin figure weakened and he decided to take a shelf dive last night. Fortunately no damage.

Ankles are so weak that just standing a neutral position he falls over. And of course the stand is of no help.

Ended up taking some blu tak and shoving it into the joint under the leg with a toothpick to gum the joints into place. Seems to be working.

Too many shelf dives and his nose will start to resemble that of joe bugner. Had to buy another.

One of my favorite figures in the line.

Agree in almost everything, but not gonna lie, I'm so happy with how this line designs look, I think they are spot on,

Except for the ones that are embarrassingly off-model.

Like Clayface, Penguin, Joker, Lois Lane, Poison Ivy among others.

Now that you are talking about that, what the sculptors take as guide in order to compare the sizes of one figure regarding the others. I was happy when I saw NBA Harley was bigger than the previous one but when I compared with other NBA figures like Catwoman, Batgirl, Supergirl, she's taller than those other characters. Even she's taller than Zatanna. It's a shame they look like they're from different collections.

Now that you are talking about that, what the sculptors take as guide in order to compare the sizes of one figure regarding the others. I was happy when I saw NBA Harley was bigger than the previous one but when I compared with other NBA figures like Catwoman, Batgirl, Supergirl, she's taller than those other characters. Even she's taller than Zatanna. It's a shame they look like they're from different collections.

And Livewire is the second shortest female figure in the line, even though she was shown on screen to be taller than Harley, Ivy, Batgirl, and Supergirl. And she has weird stubby-ass forearms. She's got the exact opposite problems the Talia figure has.

You guys are all complaining so much it is almost ridiculous ..

f60630e078e229b2764859a632d5a70a.jpg

Back in the 90s we could have complained but we were happy .. look at this figure doesn’t even look like the actor .. no expression in the face ... no nothing ... and we were happy.

Be happy the we got a second generation of this line .. out and bigger .. even better than the first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DC Collectibles doing Batman The Animated Series figures!!!!!

Back in the 90s we could have complained but we were happy .. look at this figure doesn’t even look like the actor .. no expression in the face ... no nothing ... and we were happy.

Be happy the we got a second generation of this line .. out and bigger .. even better than the first.

“Love that Joker!”
https://i.gifer.com/SxeX.gif

The difference is that this line isn't for kids... and that was 30 years ago.

I don't want something I'm paying for to be ******.

As I recall, the Toy Biz DC figures recycled Kenner's Super Powers sculpts... and poorly. Those were dark times. Kids just don't know how good they have it today.

The difference is that this line isn't for kids... and that was 30 years ago.

I don't want something I'm paying for to be ******.

And in that 30 years, toymaking technology has improved dramatically. I was told that not a single figure in this line was sculpted by hand the old fashioned way, but were all 3d modeled. There's absolutely no reason and no excuse for some of them to have been as off-model as they were.

When I shell out $40 odd a figure I have a right to complain. And I also had that Joker 25 years ago. And thought it was garbage.

• Man bat (too dark)
  • Mr Freeze (Wrong colors for cylinders and gun, missing color on Nora snowglobe as shown in preorders pic)
  • To get Livewire and Supergirl you have to buy a 5-Pack with 3 figures you already have bought (Batgirl, Poison Ivy, Harley Quinn)
  • They raised the prices of single release (from 24.95 to 28$ per each figure), and cut back on accessories and ankle articulation

• Batman MOTP cape
  • Joker's car

So we all go with the preorders of the Deluxe Batmobile. Is it ended? Obviously not. So after people preordered the Deluxe one, DC announced 3 months later (in May) that the extras (batsignal + 2 chars) will be sold even separately.
So customers made an "useless" preorder in January thinking that the Deluxe Batmobile set was the only way to get the Batsignal and Soft clothes characters.

Sorry for the outburst.

As you can read, I'm not complaining just about figures sculpting. I'am complaining about the whole DC Collectibles policy with customers (no communication, bad decisions, price increase, and so on. And obviously figures sculpting too because they are not a giveaway, we pay for them)

And it's a lot easier to look at that Joker figure from a childrens toyline which sold for $4 in 1989 and have no complaints than to look at the Animated Clayface figure from a grown-up collectors line which sold for $40 in 2016 and not talk about his weird pointy head.

Last edited:

Ahhh... Good old Super Powers figures. Those Kenner figures were spot on back in 1984 and then came Toy Biz’s Batman and DC Super Heroes lines in 1989 :/
Yeah they did recycle many Super Powers’ sculpts and found a way to ruin every one that they used lol. In Toy Biz’s defense, it was really their first big toy line(s) and they improved leaps and bounds with their later X-Men and Marvel lines in the mid 90s.

Has anyone with both TNBA and BTAS Jokers tried putting the BTAS head on the TNBA body to see how close it looks like a JL or ROTJ Joker?

Has anyone with both TNBA and BTAS Jokers tried putting the BTAS head on the TNBA body to see how close it looks like a JL or ROTJ Joker?

Seen it several times. Doesn't look bad, but the body seems a bit out of proportion to the head. For it to be a JL or ROTJ accurate figure the color scheme needs to be a tad different and upper body (shoulder girth) needs to be a bit wider IMHO.

• Man bat (too dark)
  • To get Livewire and Supergirl you have to buy a 5-Pack with 3 figures you already have bought (Batgirl, Poison Ivy, Harley Quinn)
  • They raised the prices of single release (from 24.95 to 28$ per each figure), and cut back on accessories and ankle articulation

• Batman MOTP cape
  • Joker's car

Sorry for the outburst.

Oh I SO wished this page had a like-feature for postings.

Back