Coolest Prequel Character?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coolest prequel character

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If you're trying to say Kenobi made the connection "ok so, Jango is with the Seps and is bad, so the clones came from Jango, so the clones are bad", that is also irrelevant.

I just don't see what you're trying to say. :confused:

that IS what i'm trying to say, young padawan.

but that's not my initial point. my initial point was that if this jango fella is so "smart" he'd have been a lot more careful showing off his face (esp to guys like obi-wan kenobi). if you're doing something ppl suspect as illegal activity, esp if said illegal activity points all fingers to YOU, u would take greater care to hide your idenity, not be so casual about it. in that, it was a stupid move. if u still don't get my point, please do not hesitate to ask yourself why you're so dense. just kidding. :D

You need to cap your paints when you're not using them man, you're not making any sense. Maul was menacing. He would lead with fear, and those who were under him would obey not wanting to be in his presence because he's terrifically horrific. As for him being the master to Palpatine, I didn't say that so you invented that. And as to being young, inexperienced, and intellectually weak, no. He gave a seasoned veteran Jedi a run for his money and killed him. Obi Wan lost in the straight-up confrontation to Maul (or did you forget), winning through luck. If Qui Gon's saber hadn't been there... no more Obi. Maul was cold and calculated and very much the strategist to be able to confront two Jedi with higher saber skill sets at the same time.

Lightsaber fighting has absolutely nothing to do with intellect or leadership ability. Maul is one of my fav characters, but does not seem to be anything more than a Jedi-hating errand boy. A really physically fit, cool looking, badass alien with great lighstaber fighting skills, but he shows no signs of being intelligent enough to be a leader. He is entirely obedient to Palpatine, which leads me to believe he is more of a "follower" type from what I see in the movie. If there was some sort of power struggle between Palps and Maul anywhere, it would lend credibility to his intelligence. I.E. Palps: "You will attack the Jedi on Naboo tomorrow" Maul: "No master, that would be unwise! The Jedi would see it coming" etc. I don't care what his argument would be, but if he ever argued at all, it shows that he's thinking about it more deeply than just the sort of "Yes, my master" stuff we see from Anakin a lot. There's just nothing I can see in the entire movie that suggest Maul has a brain. Maybe there were some scenes in there that got cut, but ultimately the feeling I was left with was that Maul could never be one of the higher ups.

that IS what i'm trying to say, young padawan.

but that's not my initial point. my initial point was that if this jango fella is so "smart" he'd have been a lot more careful showing off his face (esp to guys like obi-wan kenobi). if you're doing something ppl suspect as illegal activity, esp if said illegal activity points all fingers to YOU, u would take greater care to hide your idenity, not be so casual about it. in that, it was a stupid move. if u still don't get my point, please do not hesitate to ask yourself why you're so dense. just kidding. :D

I agree that it wasn't a good move in general, but nobody's perfect.

I mean if Maul was so smart, he would have force pushed Kenobi into the reactor pit as soon as possible, but he just stood there, and, if I remember correctly, struck the ground to no effect with his lightsaber, giving Kenobi enough time to jump up and slice him in half.

Boba's stupid move was carrying around a rocket strapped to his back. But who could have forseen that it would end up getting him stuck inside the Sarlaac?

It's just one of those things where you might not think of the repercussions right away. Doesn't mean Jango's an idiot like you are suggesting.

news flash maul is a fictional character and can't be smart or dumb because he doesn't really have a brain. 1000 times out of 1000 his character will make the same choices because thats how it was written, filmed and edited onto the reel and dvd.

Lightsaber fighting has absolutely nothing to do with intellect or leadership ability. Maul is one of my fav characters, but does not seem to be anything more than a Jedi-hating errand boy. A really physically fit, cool looking, badass alien with great lighstaber fighting skills, but he shows no signs of being intelligent enough to be a leader. He is entirely obedient to Palpatine, which leads me to believe he is more of a "follower" type from what I see in the movie. If there was some sort of power struggle between Palps and Maul anywhere, it would lend credibility to his intelligence. I.E. Palps: "You will attack the Jedi on Naboo tomorrow" Maul: "No master, that would be unwise! The Jedi would see it coming" etc. I don't care what his argument would be, but if he ever argued at all, it shows that he's thinking about it more deeply than just the sort of "Yes, my master" stuff we see from Anakin a lot. There's just nothing I can see in the entire movie that suggest Maul has a brain. Maybe there were some scenes in there that got cut, but ultimately the feeling I was left with was that Maul could never be one of the higher ups.

Your post screams ignorance.

Have you ever fenced? Despite the grunting screamfest you see in the olympics, real fencing is more like Chess than checkers, or the Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots you'd have everybody think swordfighting is. Now elevate it one step. Take it from someone with some experience in the matter. You'd hardly want to get into a Boken fight with a Kendo or Kenjutsu Sensei let alone two. It takes a high level of experience and quick thinking just to defend yourself let alone be on the offensive.

As for leadership, that doesn't mean ****. Great leaders listen to commands from officers and generals all the time. As a matter of fact, most NCOs are more capable of leading men than the higher-up officers but they still listen to orders, which is exactly what Maul did. Did that mean he was a horrible leader? No, it just meant that he followed orders.

I agree that it wasn't a good move in general, but nobody's perfect.

I mean if Maul was so smart, he would have force pushed Kenobi into the reactor pit as soon as possible, but he just stood there, and, if I remember correctly, struck the ground to no effect with his lightsaber, giving Kenobi enough time to jump up and slice him in half.

Boba's stupid move was carrying around a rocket strapped to his back. But who could have forseen that it would end up getting him stuck inside the Sarlaac?

It's just one of those things where you might not think of the repercussions right away. Doesn't mean Jango's an idiot like you are suggesting.

i never suggested jango fett's an idiot. i was referring specifically to his slip-up of blowing his cover. that was a pretty stupid move, but that doesn't necessarily make him an idiot.

as for maul taunting obi-wan when he should've finished him off immediately, personally i felt that was a pretty nice character moment, and true to the sith traits. arrogance. hubris. trying to torment his enemy who was already hanging on for dear life was a very sith thing to do. prolonging his victim's agony and savouring it. that is not stupidity at work, it is malicious overconfidence--- though they often are lumped into the same category. that's what led to the downfall of palpatine too. he was so damned cocksure he had won, he failed to consider that the very act he was doing (force-lightning luke's a$$ to a crisp) might cause his own apprentice vader to turn on him. i mean, he already knew vader had conflicted feelings for his son. but he disregarded it to his own doom. wouldn't say that's stupidity, just overconfidence.

and fett's rocket pack served him well on so many occasions. so why wouldn't he continue using it? it was sheer bad luck (han accidentally activating it) rather than stupidity that got him screwed.

Have you ever fenced? Despite the grunting screamfest you see in the olympics, real fencing is more like Chess than checkers, or the Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots you'd have everybody think swordfighting is. Now elevate it one step. Take it from someone with some experience in the matter. You'd hardly want to get into a Boken fight with a Kendo or Kenjutsu Sensei let alone two. It takes a high level of experience and quick thinking just to defend yourself let alone be on the offensive.

i've been in real fights, so i can vouch for that. it's not just all-out brainless brawling. when your opponent's bigger and stronger than u, you've gotta be smarter than him. in fact, i'd say speed and smarts (esp keeping a cool head) wins fights more than anything.

i never suggested jango fett's an idiot. i was referring specifically to his slip-up of blowing his cover. that was a pretty stupid move, but that doesn't necessarily make him an idiot.

as for maul taunting obi-wan when he should've finished him off immediately, personally i felt that was a pretty nice character moment, and true to the sith traits. arrogance. hubris. trying to torment his enemy who was already hanging on for dear life was a very sith thing to do. prolonging his victim's agony and savouring it. that is not stupidity at work, it is malicious overconfidence--- though they often are lumped into the same category. that's what led to the downfall of palpatine too. he was so damned cocksure he had won, he failed to consider that the very act he was doing (force-lightning luke's a$$ to a crisp) might cause his own apprentice vader to turn on him. i mean, he already knew vader had conflicted feelings for his son. but he disregarded it to his own doom. wouldn't say that's stupidity, just overconfidence.

As well as the hobbling and beheading of Dooku and the dismemberment of Anakin...TWICE! Hell, ironically, it also cost Luke his hand. :lol

do you include badass double lightsabre in "look". How about awesome choreographed moves?

Yes, because that's all just physical stuff. It is cool... but that's all it is. There isn't anything to that character in TPM at all. He's just an evil looking dude who hates Jedi, knows jujitsu moves and has a double-bladed lightsaber. Obviously, that's enough for him to be many's favorite character.

Here's a little exercise: Pretend someone who knows nothing about TPM asked you to describe the character of Darth Maul. Now, try doing it without resorting to simple physical descriptions. See... there's nothing there.

news flash maul is a fictional character and can't be smart or dumb because he doesn't really have a brain. 1000 times out of 1000 his character will make the same choices because thats how it was written, filmed and edited onto the reel and dvd.
Exactly. It's pointless and futile to argue anything about a character that isn't right there on the screen in image or spoken word. Unless this is an EU argument, which is a whole different story...

Well, like I said, if this is a "Coolest Prequel Character" that includes all of that era (canon and non-canon EU included) then yeah... there is a ton of material to cull from. But if this poll deals with characters from the PT movies themselves only... well, Maul is as hollow as the Boba Fett PF. :lol

Yes, because that's all just physical stuff. It is cool... but that's all it is. There isn't anything to that character in TPM at all.

Here's a little exercise: Pretend someone who knows nothing about TPM asked you to describe the character of Darth Maul. Now, try doing it without resorting to simple physical descriptions. See... there's nothing there.

nope, disagree there. i CAN describe his character: loyal, ruthlessly focussed, permanently pi$$ed off, enjoys taunting his enemies, has a swagger of someone who knows he's damned good at what he does... all those were apparent (at least to me) on screen. and those are defining character attributes. so i won't say there's "nothing" to maul's character.

I can understand you thinking Commanders Cody and Gree are evil (they tried to kill Yoda/Kenobi when order 66 was issued)

...but Mace Windu? Come on.

Oops. Missed that one.

I'm with IJ on Maul. Just thought he was a mindless thug, right from the start. I can agree that he was convincing, but I don't think that makes him special.

Still very much happy with the fate he was dealt. :duff

His ending was awsome, gimped by a Padawan.

That's lame. Bruce Lee was once a padawan as well...nobody ever questioned his ability for kicking butt. Obi Wan became a Jedi Master on the council who ultimately handed the Darth Vader his arse resulting him to have a snorkel plugged in to help with his asthma.

Honestly thought Jango would have more votes than he does. I had a feeling Maul would win, but not OWN.

nope, disagree there. i CAN describe his character: loyal, ruthlessly focussed, permanently pi$$ed off, enjoys taunting his enemies, has a swagger of someone who knows he's damned good at what he does... all those were apparent (at least to me) on screen. and those are defining character attributes. so i won't say there's "nothing" to maul's character.

Maul showed more character then most of the jedi on the list!

Honestly thought Jango would have more votes than he does. I had a feeling Maul would win, but not OWN.

It's not surprising at all to me. The younger generation of SW fans are easily pleased and love all this stuff. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Maul own a popularity poll against OT Vader. :lol

Back