Please ignore thread. Went ahead and preordered

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Should I preorder the In Art GTG

• Yes, you will hate yourself for letting this slip by.

Votes: 13 100.0%
  • No, the Asmus one is close enough and not worth spending more money for another.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

hoodonit00

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Opinions please. I have the Asmus GTG. Is the quality of the InArt one going to be that much better than the Asmus one to offset the cost. Am I going to hate myself if I don’t order it? Vote please.

Only you can make this decision. Aside from the monetary investment, here are some things to consider for yourself, though:
If you have a history of hating yourself when you pass on something nice or some upgrade of sorts, chances are likely that you will for this too. When everyone is getting their figure and posting nice pictures, you’ll probably be kicking yourself. Conversely, you might not like it as much particularly because you’ll be comparing everything to what you already have/had… but you could always sell one or the other down the road. Community hype is one of the driving catalysts for FOMO—if you’re already happy with what you have, hopefully it will stay that way.

Only you can make this decision. Aside from the monetary investment, here are some things to consider for yourself, though:
If you have a history of hating yourself when you pass on something nice or some upgrade of sorts, chances are likely that you will for this too. When everyone is getting their figure and posting nice pictures, you’ll probably be kicking yourself. Conversely, you might not like it as much particularly because you’ll be comparing everything to what you already have/had… but you could always sell one or the other down the road. Community hype is one of the driving catalysts for FOMO—if you’re already happy with what you have, hopefully it will stay that way.
Thanks so much for the answer. Makes a lot of sense. I’ve regretted missing Neo and The Last Samurai figures. Throw in Darryl from TWD as well

I would also factor in how you've felt when viewing the latest production pics that InArt posted to how you decide. When you look at those pics, do you feel like your Asmus is enough or that the InArt makes more sense in your collection? How important of a character is Gandalf to you? Are you a big LOTR fan or someone who just likes the movies enough to have some sort of representation? Did you see those pics and think "wow, I can't believe I missed out on ordering. This is what I wished my Asmus was like! Is there anywhere left to order?"

I understand not wanting to fall into the hype for InArt that this community creates, so you have to truly ask yourself, "is this a character I love enough to have the current absolutely best offering available regardless of what's been previously available?" A lot of ppl are asking themselves this same question now that BvS Superman has been teased. Do they sell their HT version for the InArt? Is it really going to be that much better?

At the end of the day, there will more than likely always been upgraded versions down the line. Whether or not we'll be alive and/or still collecting when those upgraded versions is unknown. Most of us will more than likely at one point or another say "I'm good. The one by ____ still holds up for me. I don't need to buy the new one." That is, unless you're a TDK Joker or Indy collector who will eternally be upgrading every little piece for the next new and improved artist iteration that comes along :lol

I would also factor in how you've felt when viewing the latest production pics that InArt posted to how you decide. When you look at those pics, do you feel like your Asmus is enough or that the InArt makes more sense in your collection? How important of a character is Gandalf to you? Are you a big LOTR fan or someone who just likes the movies enough to have some sort of representation? Did you see those pics and think "wow, I can't believe I missed out on ordering. This is what I wished my Asmus was like! Is there anywhere left to order?"

I understand not wanting to fall into the hype for InArt that this community creates, so you have to truly ask yourself, "is this a character I love enough to have the current absolutely best offering available regardless of what's been previously available?" A lot of ppl are asking themselves this same question now that BvS Superman has been teased. Do they sell their HT version for the InArt? Is it really going to be that much better?

At the end of the day, there will more than likely always been upgraded versions down the line. Whether or not we'll be alive and/or still collecting when those upgraded versions is unknown. Most of us will more than likely at one point or another say "I'm good. The one by ____ still holds up for me. I don't need to buy the new one." That is, unless you're a TDK Joker or Indy collector who will eternally be upgrading every little piece for the next new and improved artist iteration that comes along :lol
I was ok with the Asmus Aragorn until I saw the In Art one. It made me so disappointed in Asmus attempt that I had to preorder. To clarify it all it boils down to the sculpt. I’m happy with everything but the sculpt. Although Asmus GTG is pretty good, it honestly is not as good as the In Art one. But it is cheaper. Just trying to figure out if I want to spend another 500 dollars ona figure that I have a pretty good representation of.

I was ok with the Asmus Aragorn until I saw the In Art one. It made me so disappointed in Asmus attempt that I had to preorder. To clarify it all it boils down to the sculpt. I’m happy with everything but the sculpt. Although Asmus GTG is pretty good, it honestly is not as good as the In Art one. But it is cheaper. Just trying to figure out if I want to spend another 500 dollars on a figure that I have a pretty good representation of.
Well, if you sell your Asmus, you could at least recoup some of the cost you'll be spending on the InArt. A quick look on ebay sold listings and the Asmus is selling between $200-$300; so, while not getting back your total initial investment, you could still get a decent amount for it.

But, maybe you answered your own question there with what you said, "a figure I already have a pretty good representation of."

Typically, one of the main ways I decide about upgrading is if I'm looking at the one I have on my shelf thinking "well maybe I'll just buy the _____ if it's parted out?" But that normally turns into wanting another and another piece from the better figure to the point to where I realize I should just go ahead and by the better figure outright. For example, I had the sideshow deluxe ROTJ Luke Skywalker that I heavily modified from retailoring the outfit, dremeling away areas of the body for more accurate shape, repainting the headsculpt and lightsabers, getting a better cloak; but, no matter what I did, it wasn't the HT figure. So, I eventually go the HT and sold the Sideshow figure. I honestly don't even think about the money that I spent on the HT b/c to me, that was a worth while purchase for my favorite version of Luke. And I've gone and spent more money recently upgrading it with the new DX23 head and new hands.

All that to say, if you're going to be looking at the Asmus Gandalf on your shelf wishing it was the InArt instead, it's probably best to go ahead and order it while you still can from OSK since they recently reopened POs. You'd probably be able to sell your Asmus Gandalf well before the InArt even ships.

Last edited:
My two cents, but looking at the latest production pics of the InArt GTG I would not hesitate to pull the trigger even if I had previously bought the Asmus version. The difference is tangible. If we had to compare the Asmus prototype with the InArt prototype/production, it would be certainly harder to decide. However, unfortunately, the Asmus final product did not deliver at all. Those eyes alone are sincerely terrible and ruin an overall good figure. Also, the mustache looks like some bristles from a toothbrush. On the other hand, not only can I see Gandalf the Grey when I look at the InArt pics, but I can also recognize an almost perfect McKellen, and this does not simply happen with the Asmus one.

Back