Build you own Falcon subscription

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So this is going to be a little over $200 cheaper overall with the shipping special going on? That's very tempting.

I am very impressed with the fact that DeAg is actually reworking parts and providing them for free to us 👍👍👍

I think it sucks.
Not enough they are doing $1 shipping now, but also the parts I've already painted, assembled, and glued, are being reworked???? And how are we supposed to know which parts they will decide to rework? Or when they will include them? Should people just wait to get ALL the parts before starting on it?
They should have rolled out a perfect/tested/complete project, not a half-baked one.

Well, the instructions do say not to glue the cockpit cone together yet. Only to test fit the parts.

I think it sucks.
Not enough they are doing $1 shipping now, but also the parts I've already painted, assembled, and glued, are being reworked???? And how are we supposed to know which parts they will decide to rework? Or when they will include them? Should people just wait to get ALL the parts before starting on it?
They should have rolled out a perfect/tested/complete project, not a half-baked one.

I don't know why anyone is painting the exterior hull pieces at all yet... makes no sense. Over the course of the two years its gonna take to get all the hull pieces, it is next to impossible to maintain any kind of weathering consistancy over this many parts in that period of time. Hell... Even DeAgostini is finding it difficult to match the pre-paintedness of the hull parts. The interior... go for it... paint your little heart out, but wait til you get the entire exterior put together before painting or it's gonna come out looking like grandmas quilt and totally ruin the effect. Then you'll have to paint over it, obscuring the details with another layer or two of paint unless you strip the old layers off first, and you always end up softening the detail when stripping paint off. Best course of action to take is wait til you get all the exterior pieces together to start painting the hull parts. If you're really impatient and really got to slap down some paint, get yoruself a cheap Hasbro Falcon for $30 from Walmart to practice on. Sure the details aren't quite the same but it's not too bad for the price, a slight bit smaller (29" instead of 32") and you'll have to use a plastic automotive bumper primer on it because it's not Polystyrene... but it's cheap, and if you mess anything up, you can just strip it off and go at it again. No sense in experimenting on a $1500 model kit! Does that make any sense whatsoever?

That makes perfect sense. I was starting to wonder if i was missing something here. There is no way i am touching the exterior until i have it all. Or at the very least maybe if you have the complete top or bottom section of the hull a person could try that. I just don't want to do something that i am going to have a hard time matching up later.

Really cool video series from Model Space

Edit: It looks like they removed it for some reason, I think it was because it cut off abruptly.
He was talking about how the display model parts were made using a 3D printer and had a rushed paint job. He also talked about why they are not going to be able to match the paint or plastic on the entire run and suggested using Tamiya Insignia White (86520) in a spray can for the base coat after getting the entire model but you would not be able to see the base coat very well after all of the weathering.
It was also confirmed the new nosecone would be sent out around issue 40.

Last edited:
Here's some information regarding the Revel re-issue of Fine Molds kits. A buddy wrote to them and the following is cut and pasted from a couple of emails:

Dear Sir,
Thanks for writing to us. What you are asking is partly true. Let me explain for you. We will not be taking ownership of the molds from Fine Molds, but we will be getting kits from them to repackage. The first kits should be available in the months of Sept. and Oct. Unfortunately we do not have the prices yet. These should be available soon. Please check out our website for the latest details. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Ed Sexton
Revell Inc.

We started wondering about claims the part count had been reduced, or the kit retooled. This is a follow up email:

Hi,
I’m not sure what you saw, but it is not the number of parts or the price.
The Revell kit is the Fine Molds plastic. The Millennium Falcon is over 900 parts and the suggested retail is $299.99.
Hope that helps.

Regards,
Ed Sexton
Revell, Inc.

Bottom line - The fine Molds kits on ebay are going for this price, Revell isn't interested in lowering the going cost set by the secondary market.

Here it is...

Thanks for posting... seems like they are being pretty up front in the video about what to expect. But, they're not really advertising it as a piece that you should have to paint, but according to the video it seems like it's very necessary. That's fine since I already planned on painting it, but a bit misleading.

It is cool to see that there will be "glass" for the windows (as I've been unclear about that) and very cool to see the gunner station. I was hoping that would be included, but still haven't seen any images or hints that it was included.

I think once it's all said and done this will be one hell of a piece to own and I'm glad I'm on board.

Here's some information regarding the Revel re-issue of Fine Molds kits. A buddy wrote to them and the following is cut and pasted from a couple of emails:

We started wondering about claims the part count had been reduced, or the kit retooled. This is a follow up email:

Bottom line - The fine Molds kits on ebay are going for this price, Revell isn't interested in lowering the going cost set by the secondary market.

That's lame, I guess we can hope that retailers will be able to offer some discount over the MSRP.

What did the original kit retail for?

Oh, and I thought I'd mention I recieved a survey from DeAgostini last week. They asked a number of questions about what other kits I would like to see from them and I believe the options they asked to have ranked were X-Wing, Vader's Tie Fighter, AT-AT, Y Wing and one other vehicle, maybe the T-16 :huh

Anyway, sounds like we may see more kits from them.

And, if you guys haven't checked it out... one of the guys on YouTube is up to part 23; so nice to see what's coming. Also, in the last section you can get a sense of how the hallways will be visible through the hull.

A guy who owns a collectibles shop nearby is subscribing to this and building the Falcon in his store. I had a chance to see this up close and was very impressed by the quality. He had the cockpit completely assembled and a few parts of the hull. I was originally resistant to the idea of paying $60 a month for a 2-year commitment but after seeing this thing in person I have to admit it is extremely tempting to want to subscribe. I missed out on the Master Replicas Falcon because of financial limitations but this is actually a great way to finance a replica that is just as impressive.

IMG_8050.jpeg

If you decide to buy, either do it before June 30th, or wait for a similar deal.

$1 shipping saves about $140 over the life of the build :duff

So I got month 3 in yesterday... and I just really want the whole thing now. 2 years is so painful of a wait :lol

I'm good with POing a figure and waiting 1-2 years, but damn just getting it piece by piece is so hard :lol Not much exciting in this months kit, but you do get the box to test out the lights, so that will be fun.

It also comes with some more pieces to finish the hold, but I think I'll wait until I get at least all 4 walls before I do any customizing to it as I want to make sure my paint and weathering all matches up.

Back