Build you own Falcon subscription

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been so tempted by this many times, but the price really puts me off. Do you guys who have started the collection think it's worth the £8.99 fee?

I believe we're paying a bit more in the US, and I still think it's worth it.

I've said it before, but I think the kit is probably a bit high for the finished product if you just built it as-is. However, when you consider that a MR Falcon cost more when it was first released ($2,200, now on eBay more like $5,000) even there the cost is probably fair. I'm not sure what a MR level Falcon would cost at retail now, but I'd guess minimum retail of $3,500. And the Artisan pieces from QMX sell for between $5 and $10K.

And if you enjoy putting a bit (up to a lot) of work into the model you could come away with an incredible Studio Scale replica for well under $2,000.

BTW, here's the lights installed... they look pretty good. I'm definitely going to tint the panel though to get some more color variation in the panels. And I'm seriously considering trying my hand at installing fiber optic lights in the cockpit and hold area. Although most of that will wait until much later in the project 1) so I know what lighting would work with the finished model and 2) so I can practice on some other kits first.

290a8c7f-3276-41e2-a879-cf419a1cfd8d_zps6ebwfoqp.jpg

Here's something interesting I found... I've never owned or seen the MR Falcon in person, but since starting this project I've often wondered how the two compare.

So in seeing a few images of the internals of the cockpit I was pleasantly surprised to see how they appear nearly identical, and then seeing this image where I guys was opening his up I can see that the DeAg at least has more details when it comes to the back wall. Anyway, just something I found interesting, you can follow the link here to see the images, start at the 3rd image : Cracking Open the MR Falcon - Resin Illuminati

And here's two nice pics of the cockpit from RS:

IMG_0903.JPG

IMG_0914.JPG

Obviously the console looks cooler as it's not just a sticker, but the paint work is really sloppy. I'm actually a bit surprised by that and figured it would be cleaner.

Still looks good to me. I can't paint anywhere near close to that. :lol

Anyone willing to sell their MR Falcon can PM me. :wave

Yes, sorry... don't get me wrong it's more than fine, especially for the scale. But I figured it would be very uniform and clean; so just an interesting thing to me and seeing how the DeAg has more going on for the back of the cockpit makes me a little more excited.

I'd love to see some direct comparisons between the parts, I've heard the MR has crisper details on the hull so far, so it will be interesting to see how the final product looks. If Steve Dymszo only has upt o set 35, it seems we may still be at least a year out from seeing a completed set built from the manufactured kit.

sorry to intrude, but I have a brand new MR falcon for trade - I am looking for an MR at-at (either) or efx xwing - plus cash.

If would have to be someone "near" Toronto. I would be willing to drive up to 5hrs to meet and do the trade in person. Shoot me a pm if interested.

Are you guys going to be buying airbrush kits when painting this ?

Just feel it'll be nigh on impossible to paint all the fine detail without one. :gah:

Last edited:
Are you guys going to be buying airbrush kits when painting this ?

Just feel it'll be nigh on impossible to paint all the fine detail without one. :gah:

Nope, thought about it but I'll mainly be doing washes for the exterior so won't bother.

Finally managed a bit more over the last couple of days
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435760086.338707.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1435760099.939250.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1435760118.575159.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1435760139.694597.jpg

Looking great Inked! What did you do for the walls, they have a nice look to them.

Cheers, dry brushed the walls and floor with Leadbelcher, wiped of the excess and then gave them a couple of washes with Nuln Oil. For the oily rusty patches on the floors I dabbed on some Typhus Corrosion (all paints by Citadel)

And month 4 has arrived... seems like this will complete the hold (for the most part) and got some parts for the hallways and more outer hull and frames.

Still going with the plan of holding off on building these parts until I get the next few months in so I can be sure all the interior match.

And month 4 has arrived... seems like this will complete the hold (for the most part) and got some parts for the hallways and more outer hull and frames.

Still going with the plan of holding off on building these parts until I get the next few months in so I can be sure all the interior match.
That's a good idea. Looking forward to your build.

BTW, here's the lights installed... they look pretty good. I'm definitely going to tint the panel though to get some more color variation in the panels. And I'm seriously considering trying my hand at installing fiber optic lights in the cockpit and hold area. Although most of that will wait until much later in the project 1) so I know what lighting would work with the finished model and 2) so I can practice on some other kits first.

290a8c7f-3276-41e2-a879-cf419a1cfd8d_zps6ebwfoqp.jpg

Galactiboy, are you considering getting any 3D printed upgrades?
The canopy window transoms look very thick compared to the original filming model.

Looks like there's upgraded (though very expensive) parts on Shapeways: Millennium Falcon Nose Cone DeAg Studio Scale (Q3QFQ4SJ3) by SpaceInScale

Back