Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who - #10 David Tennant

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As for the price it is what it is but I don't believe any western company could make a high-end licensed product, in such small quantities, for any less. They certainly don't look mass produced. On top of that the company has to satisfy stipulations from the BBC about the conditions under which these are produced. Personally I feel much happier knowing that the people who made them were treated properly.

1:6 figures are BIG business, at least in the collector's world. There are loads of companies making these the same way. Many of them have a lot more sculpted parts and accessories and yet they cost only 2/3 of what these Who figures cost. Doctor Who has never been bigger, so I don't know why the runs are so limited.

Anyway, I've set my sights on the 4th Doctor. Hope to get him next week!

...Doctor Who has never been bigger, so I don't know why the runs are so limited...

Good observation.

My experience has been that - among the franchises that are enjoying a great deal of popularity - Doctor Who fans are notoriously tight fisted when it comes to forking over money for collectibles.

Good observation.

My experience has been that - among the franchises that are enjoying a great deal of popularity - Doctor Who fans are notoriously tight fisted when it comes to forking over money for collectibles.

I think Doctor Who fans generally prefer 'content' (books, magazines, audios and of course dvd's) to 'stuff' (unless its daleks or anything signed). As regards the runs, I imagine BC wanted to be sure Tennant would sell out after their Matt Smith figure took a long time to sell out of 2000 pieces; and although he's going for big bucks now Ten still took four months to sell out. But its not just Who, Sherlock hasn't sold out yet and look how iconic that franchise is.

Bottom line, the cost is what people are prepared to pay, and both 11 and 10 have sold out.

1:6 figures are BIG business, at least in the collector's world. There are loads of companies making these the same way. Many of them have a lot more sculpted parts and accessories and yet they cost only 2/3 of what these Who figures cost. Doctor Who has never been bigger, so I don't know why the runs are so limited.

Anyway, I've set my sights on the 4th Doctor. Hope to get him next week!

Yes its true ....Hot Toys, Enterbay and now Blitzway produce superior figures for much less.
It is what is is. BCS are fans of the shows and actively convinced BBC to let them do these licenses in 1/6 scale.
They don't have the cash, contacts or production facilities of the more established companies.
These are smaller licenses and (I think) have very little popularity if any in Asia where most of the 1/6 companies and the owners are based.

I can't see any of the Asian 1/6 companies doing Dr Who figures, and does anyone believe they'd ever touch Sherlock?
(And yeah, I'm down for the eye wateringly expensive signed numbered pairs of the Sherlock figures)

....and I'm still crossing my fingers hard that we could possibly see a BCS Luther figure :pray:

I can't see any of the Asian 1/6 companies doing Dr Who figures, and does anyone believe they'd ever touch Sherlock?

I heard rumors of a Sherlock manga... In fact, I'm fairly certain one exists. I think Benedict is popular in Japan. So I suppose it's not entirely impossible.

I heard rumors of a Sherlock manga... In fact, I'm fairly certain one exists. I think Benedict is popular in Japan. So I suppose it's not entirely impossible.

ha ha thats great!
Just googled it. Would not have picked that in a million years! :D

Yes its true ....Hot Toys, Enterbay and now Blitzway produce superior figures for much less.
It is what is is. BCS are fans of the shows and actively convinced BBC to let them do these licenses in 1/6 scale.
They don't have the cash, contacts or production facilities of the more established companies.
These are smaller licenses and (I think) have very little popularity if any in Asia where most of the 1/6 companies and the owners are based.

(And yeah, I'm down for the eye wateringly expensive signed numbered pairs of the Sherlock figures)

....and I'm still crossing my fingers hard that we could possibly see a BCS Luther figure :pray:

Great post. The bit in bold says it all - by fans, for fans. In the six years of NuWho until BCS got the licence I didn't see anyone else being prepared to risk making high end Doctor Who figures.

The sign up page for winning a spot to buy the 10th doctor is still active.
I hope they announce the results pretty soon, I want a 10th doctor action figure!

The sign up page for winning a spot to buy the 10th doctor is still active.
I hope they announce the results pretty soon, I want a 10th doctor action figure!

Me too, although I already have a Ten that will go to my kid if I win one of these. I feel like Charlie, waiting to see if I've won a golden ticket!

ha ha thats great!
Just googled it. Would not have picked that in a million years! :D

i tweeted chris ryall and idw about how great a IDW Sherlcok series would be and he favorited the tweet.... so likes the idea. im desperate for a series of books or comics for the modern bbc Sherlock, needs more!!!!

Let's see who gets the 25 10s.
If I get one then he goes with these guys:
162abfp.jpg

This is the CO with the BC coat.
jf9so7.jpg

ok so to get a replacement part for anything that arrived damaged on your figure requires you to send the damaged part back to BCS? thoughts?

i think its some b.s IMO. you pay alot for a high end figure it arrives damaged, now you have to spend more money? so if it arrives with scuffs on the chin and a broken hair piece you end with a headless figure and losing more money out of pocket while you wait for god knows how long to get a new head in the mail?

sorry for the whine, just dissapointed. i dont care if it would only cost me 1.00 to ship the head back, i shouldn't have to take the time or spend the money to do so, its there fault so they correct it 100%. again IMO.

They're making you pay shipping charges to replace damaged parts? I had to replace a screwed up head on a Sideshow figure once, they just had me destroy the faulty one and shipped me a new one free of charge. No ****ing way would I eat the shipping charges on a faulty product.

They're making you pay shipping charges to replace damaged parts? I had to replace a screwed up head on a Sideshow figure once, they just had me destroy the faulty one and shipped me a new one free of charge. No ****ing way would I eat the shipping charges on a faulty product.

agreed! also for those with a issue as big as faults on the head, the figure is then useless until BCS get the return head and send the new head, and again who knows how long that will be.

this is what they said, i think if they intend to pay for shipping they would have for sure said so.

"The first order of business this week is to organise shipping out the replacement parts. Please note that if your figure arrived with a damaged head or faulty base, we will require the faulty part to be returned to us. We have a return address is the US for customers. So if you will be returning a faulty part in the US, please email us for our US address."-BCS

I would feel less annoyed if they had expressed this as their intent clear back in December. But to ask this now is pretty annoying and to ask us to pay for shipping on top of that is almost adding insult to injury.

Way to reward the loyal for their patience; to bull a bait and switch on us like this. :(

I love Big Chief's work but I agree with the comments here; I think they'd be well advised to follow Sideshow's lead, saving themselves the trouble of receiving incoming packages and saving the customers the trouble of posting them. But while I understand the anger - when you've paid a lot of money for something you want it to be perfect - BCS have a good record of listening and responding to their customers. I expect the policy will change once they've taken a look at all the feedback. Also, remember that it's now late in the evening here in the UK, so if it does change you may not hear anything until tomorrow.

Got mine yesterday...the base doesn't seem to light up properly, and cuts out if you move it. Is this a known problem, or will a new battery solve this?

So almost 1500 people signed up for a chance to buy the last 25 10 figures. I really hope I am one of them. The waiting is killing me. I hope they tell us who soon.

Back