Beauty and the Beast (live action) - starring Emma Watson

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got back from a 7:30 showing. My girlfriend really wanted to see this so it was a part of her birthday gift. I thought it was well done and it stayed pretty faithful to the original cartoon film but also took new steps. All the actors were very solid and loved the design and feel of the film. Also this is basically a musical film just a heads up lots of breaking into songs like the cartoon. I recommend it not bad at all and my girlfriend was super happy.

I enjoyed it as well. I knew I would though since I enjoy the cartoon. I thought Luke Evans was fantastic lol

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Got back from a 7:30 showing. My girlfriend really wanted to see this so it was a part of her birthday gift. I thought it was well done and it stayed pretty faithful to the original cartoon film but also took new steps. All the actors were very solid and loved the design and feel of the film. Also this is basically a musical film just a heads up lots of breaking into songs like the cartoon. I recommend it not bad at all and my girlfriend was super happy.

I took my girlfriend tonight also because she was very excited to see it. We watched the 6PM Imax 3D show and i have not watched the original in probably 10 or 15 years but i remember liking it. I went for her but i'm happy i did go. We both really enjoyed it. funny, great performances, very enjoyable film, girlfriend was all smiles. i would watch it again and i'm not a big fan of musicals. I would also recommend it.

Yep definitely a recommend I saw the cartoon long ago but still remembered it through my head quite a bit during watching the film but also appreciated the added stuff to make it different. I honestly didn't think i'd like it that much and it's not because I don't watch Disney movies but just because Beauty and the Beast isn't one I think of most of the time or watch but it was really great.

Is it weird that I enjoyed it more than my wife? :lol

It was my favorite Disney cartoon when I was little and I must say this ver is pretty good. I had my doubts bout Emma as belle, but after seeing the movie, I'm sold.

took my niece's 10 & 13.They loved it.In fact the whole theater Clapped.

I really thought La La Land was a joke for all the accolades it received.I'M a fan of real Musicals Meet me in St Louis,Yankee Doodle Dandy,American in Paris,Singing in the Rain,Carmen Jones and thats not including some Fred Astaire greats.

Anyway just wanted to say this was a real Musical.Excellent film.

Last edited:
I saw this last night and I LOVED it. The cast was perfect. I take back every negative thing I said about Luke Evans as Gaston (which you can still read my rant about his casting a few pages back :lol); he was very funny to watch and did the character justice IMO.

Visually, it looked incredible. The "Be Our Guest" sequence is definitely my favorite scene in any musical.

The music was phenomenal. It was just...hnnng

Overall, I loved this. I can't wait to see it again Sunday night.

Saw it today, and honestly I thought that it was just slightly above average.

It was good on the surface. The actors were all well chosen and brought their A-game. The singing was top notch as well. I never knew how talented of a singer Emma Watson was. And most of the designs were pretty good as well.

But dear god, this film needed to learn the fine art of subtlety. Moments that should have been drawn out for tension, like the Beast's first full reveal, the reveal of the talking decorations, the end transformation, and other certain character building moments were rushed and presented matter-of-factly instead of slowly drawn out for a reveal. What's weird was that the cartoon 30 years ago nailed a lot of these moments, where as this one missed the mark time and time again.

A great example is when Belle's father is fleeing the castle and stops to pick a rose. Was it really necessary to have him literally say "Hey, a rose. I promised Belle id get one for her. I should stop and pick one"? Couldn't it have been enough for him just to see one, hesitate and then decide to go for it?

Another being the first time we see the decorations talk. Instead of slowly hearing voices and seeing the objects from the back, building up to the eventual reveal that its they are actually alive, we go straight to seeing them bounce around and talk from the first time they appear in frame. It totally cuts the surprise out of the moment when Maurice discovers that they are alive.

And of course
Spoiler Spoiler:

I also felt that they changed the characters of Belle and The Beast too much. Belle; in what's no doubt an attempt to make her seem stronger and more modern, never once seems overwhelmed or frightened by her experience of being kidnapped by the Beast, instead simply resilient and problem solving. I get what they were going for, but it just made the peril of her situation fall flat when we can't see her suffering.

The Beast also suffered from this. In the cartoon when we find him he is barely one step above animal, and is not afraid to go full on rage mode when people anger him. Screaming at Belle when she refuses to eat with him or when she accidentally disturbs the rose. In here he is merely sullen and grumpy. But what's strange is that he stays this way even when falls in love with Belle. The carton shows him being genuinely happy when Belle starts to fall for him, like when he gives her the library, when they play in the snow, or the iconic scene where they dance. In here he remains in a constant state of brooding that never changes.

Also while the musical numbers lifted from the original are more or less done well, they add a bunch of their own songs here, and every single song that they wrote for this falls completely flat and is largely unnecessary. The fact that Disney can't seem to write a decent song for their movies these days makes me very scared for the Mary Poppins sequel.

Last edited:
A firm no to the woman.

After you forced her to sit through Kong?

okp66FD.gif

What's with *****es and 50 shades of Beauty and the Beast?

Must be that stockholm syndrome scenario.

Back