Batman: Arkham City - Spoilers Allowed!!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Batman: Arkham Asylum 2

Arkham Asylum Sequel Names Hinted
Warner Bros. registers 15 new domain names.
July 12, 2010

What's the name of the next Batman title from developer Rocksteady? It's probably not going to be Arkham Asylum 2, if new domain names registered by Warner Bros. mean anything.

Spotted by internet sleuth superannuation, the publisher recently registered 15 internet domain names to use for the next title. Some notable ones include: "Arkham City" "Ashes of Gotham" and "City of Arkham." Click through the link to see the rest.

Warner Bros. currently uses Arkhamhasmoved.com as its home base for the next title.

While details about Arkham Asylum 2 have been slim since its announcement earlier this year, we do know that it will be "really dark" and star villains Mr. Freeze and Talia al Ghul. Mark Hamill, who famously voices the Joker, will thankfully be returning as well.

Good point, I completely forgot about that. That could definitely be a part of it. I'm still hoping for a Nightwing cameo.

Nightwing or one of the Robins.....don't know where the game is canon wise though.

I'd rather see Nightwing than a Robin. From what little I know it seems like Batman and Nightwing have an interesting dynamic. I think it would be cool to have a bonus level playable as Nightwing too.

I may be in the minority, but I'd love to see some Bruce Wayne gameplay thrown into the mix. I loved the little set pieces as young Bruce in the original. I'd like to see that evolve and actually get to be Bruce in 2. I'd really love to be able to see Wayne Manor and his Batcave as well.

It's just been reported by the developers that AA2 will largely tone down the usage of the Detective Mode/vision. You will no longer be able to leave it on for as long as you like.

No other details.

It's just been reported by the developers that AA2 will largely tone down the usage of the Detective Mode/vision. You will no longer be able to leave it on for as long as you like.

No other details.

Arkham Asylum art director talks mistakes
By Jane Douglas, GameSpot UKPosted Jul 14, 2010 11:16 am PTDevelop 2010:

Rocksteady's David Hego bemoans detective vision, discusses uncanny valley, gameplay decisions, and how its future game will use more of "augmented reality."

At a talk at the Brighton, UK-based Develop conference, Batman: Arkham Asylum art director David Hego said he had regrets about the powerful "detective vision" mode in Rocksteady Studios' top-rated game.

Detective mode is to be toned down for the next Batman game.

Hego joked that when he would hear about people playing through the game entirely in the brightly coloured, X-ray-like mode, he would "want to cry a little bit." The Detective Vision mode, which gave the player a major advantage but obscured the game's painstakingly unique art direction, was "very powerful," but in keeping with Batman's high-technology arsenal, said Hego.

"It was a gameplay decision to make detective vision so strong…we're going to try not to do that mistake again." Hego added that Rocksteady would "make it more like augmented reality next time," shedding some light on how detective vision might be toned down and adapted for the studio's next Batman game.

In the talk on Arkham Asylum's art direction, Hego explained the game's use of light and shadow and warm and cool lighting to direct a player's attention within an environment, as well as the stylised realism used to design the characters. He called the exaggerated features and realistic textures of the character models, especially that of the Joker, a kind of hyperrealism.

That hyperrealism, said Hego, also circumvented the issue of the uncanny valley: the spooky effect produced by characters, which are very close to photorealistic but still perceptibly artificial.

"One of the big advantages of the stylised realism was we were jumping across the uncanny valley… By making [the characters] so stylised, you can forget about uncanny valley because you accept that it's not real."

I think it was perfect and should be made even a little harder but stronger too. I couldn't believe people stay it in permanently myself, but let those whacko's be, I loved dipping into it every now and again, don't take anything good away!

Good. I really hated how much of an advantage that gave you in sacrifice for the visuals.

But at least it isn't as bad as Splinter Cell: Conviction... you don't have as much control there, and you pretty much need to keep the game black and white in order to play the game like it was meant to be played. One of the worst design choices ever. /end off-topic rant

I too prefered to stay out of detective mode. The visuals were too awesome to look at. I only popped into detective mode when I needed it (ie looking for something, fighting a room full of thugs to see where they are, etc). I think a 'recharging' type of detective mode might be the way to go. You can use it as long as you want, but you just have to wait for it to recharge again after you used it up. But I don't want anything stupid like hunting for battery packs to be able to use it, know what I mean? I think the game may have been 'too easy' for some because of the over-use of detective mode. I know it made fighting a room full of guys easier when you could see through walls and know where they were.

I'd really like to hear an ETA now though.

Well, we don't know for sure it was him. Batman Begins anyone?

Plus, if you didn't notice, the body is gone when you go back!

I was the same with detective mode, I used it sparingly. I didn't like the way it looked, no way I could play the whole game like that.

Back