Asmus Toys : Legolas (wip thread)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Asmus: no one had mentioned the eyes in the initial photo being too close together, but that's what I saw first and your second version, the Photoshop alteration for the sculptor, corrected it. It's looking very good now. Thank you!

Too bad about the hair. I think real hair would look phenomenal, but not a deal breaker. Just want to see the likeness nailed. If it turns out well I'd try to pick up another head to have modded into Will Turner.

Too bad about the hair. I think real hair would look phenomenal, but not a deal breaker. Just want to see the likeness nailed. If it turns out well I'd try to pick up another head to have modded into Will Turner.

I agree. After Eowyn, it would have been perfect to have Legolas with rooted hair

More and more I'm getting the vibe that Asmus is startup company who tries to please but just can't get the sculpting right.

Well, they all start out that way. 'member HT's early marines and aliens and predators? Kind of hard to tell from WitchKing and Gothmog and one human likeness. I'm admittedly disappointed with Gandalf so far. But they aren't HT clearly, nor do they claim to be or even in their league, and their prices reflect where they believe they are. Only time will tell. I do feel their unnamed horses are overpriced.

That said, I feel ACI fancies itself too much and has priced themselves beyond Hot Toys. We'll have to see if their product can support that claim.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, they all start out that way. 'member HT's early marines and aliens and predators? Kind of hard to tell from WitchKing and Gothmog and one human likeness. I'm admittedly disappointed with Gandalf so far. But they aren't HT clearly, nor do they claim to be or even in their league, and their prices reflect where they believe they are. Only time will tell. I do feel their unnamed horses are overpriced.

That said, I feel ACI fancies itself too much and has priced themselves beyond Hot Toys. We'll have to see if their product can support that claim.

They should cut their teeth small instead of jumping into an enormously big license such as LOTR with expectations higher than what Sideshow gave us and churning out products sub-par to Hot Toys at Hot Toys prices.

They should cut their teeth small instead of jumping into an enormously big license such as LOTR with expectations higher than what Sideshow gave us and churning out products sub-par to Hot Toys at Hot Toys prices.

I don't know. I think Lord of the Rings isn't a bad license to start with. I don't think the Lord of the Rings license is as hot as you think it is so they don't have much competition in the Lord of the Rings market (except ACI which may or may not have the ability to make more figures). Obviously Sideshow and others no longer saw a value in it so I would expect whatever fee they paid for the license reflects that. On top of that with characters like Witch King, Ringwraiths, Gothmog, Gurtiz they don't have to really match actor likenesses so they can cut their teeth on doing high quality 1/6 before having to bank on the sculptors. Overall I am extremely happy so far. In my opinion they are still moving forward in quality and haven't stalled or gone backwards.

Something to think about with the pricing too, the fewer made the higher the cost per item it is to produce. At bbts Gandalf is in between Sideshow's Drake and Batman prices and there is a good chance that both were made in higher quantities than Gandalf.

Last edited:
More and more I'm getting the vibe that Asmus is a very amateur startup company who tries to please but just can't get the sculpting right.

Wow, so much negativity. And directed at a company willing to listen to feedback and trying to deliver.

Wow, so much negativity. And directed at a company willing to listen to feedback and trying to deliver.

Well he is right that they are trying to please and they have tweaked Aragorn's sculpt and Gandalf's to try to make it more accurate which is great as far as the end of his statement a lot of that depends on individual opinion which will be different for everyone. For me personally I am more forgiving of a small company starting out than a company that has been around for a long time like a Sideshow or Hot Toys. To me the way SS' Drake head sculpt turned out is much more of an issue than Gandalf. Thankfully I am not familiar with that property so it doesn't effect me though.

Well he is right that they are trying to please and they have tweaked Aragorn's sculpt and Gandalf's to try to make it more accurate which is great as far as the end of his statement a lot of that depends on individual opinion which will be different for everyone. For me personally I am more forgiving of a small company starting out than a company that has been around for a long time like a Sideshow or Hot Toys. To me the way SS' Drake head sculpt turned out is much more of an issue than Gandalf. Thankfully I am not familiar with that property so it doesn't effect me though.
You're being way to nice. That poster has been busting on Asmus for awhile now. Nothing constructive just rude comments. Nothing he posted in that statement was meant to be helpful in anyway.

Just give me my damn Gimli, Merry and Pippin already! Haha I want to finish the fellowship so badly. That should be top priority ;)
The PS image shows a definite improvement. Follow that and you will be on the right track! I look forward to seeing what you bring back to us Asmus!

Would love to hear some feedback on this. The hair detail is still a work in progress.

LKbvFL.jpg

qsKD6T.jpg

Very impressive! Are you involved with Asmus?

The sculpt on page 1 is mine. This is the revised version with feedback from asmus, you guys and the members in the customer creations section. Still more to do but if you have any feedback, let me know. I appreciate any feedback good or bad. :)

He seriously looks amazing! Is this LOTR or Hobbit Legolas?

Thanks zombieshane, a lot of revisions went into this sculpt so I appreciate the good feedback. Your question is not so easy to answer as I'm not sure which license they hold. I'll leave the production and license questions to them. Thanks again for the feedback.

Mike

Looks amazing Mike! Very excited for this release! Saw your sculpt without knowing it was for Asmus and thought "well when I get the Asmus figure ill get that sculpt because its spot on and can't be beat" haha.

Back