Aliens Colonial Marines

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gears of war 2 will be amazing !.
I can't see how they will make it better than this one but knowing epic they will ! :rock:rock

Un-F'n-Believable!!! Thanks for posting those pics. That looks completely insane. Now I have to get me a PS3!!! What magazine were those pic from, by the way? I'd like to read that article too. :monkey5

INFO COURTESY OF SABRES AND MY COPY AND PASTE TECHNIQUES

Here's some interesting tidbits by one of the games producers...

"For example, you might find yourself in a hangar bay with only two exits and hostiles on all sides. Before you are completely overwhelmed, you will have a few precious seconds to increase your odds of survival. You may send one team member to reactivate a gun turret in the corner, order another to close the metal shielding over the windows, and personally seal one of the doors yourself. Then the onslaught begins, and you and your team will have to fight back a stream of aliens while securing the remaining entry points in the room, like ventilation shafts and maintenance hatches. "

"It makes sense to shoot aliens when they are at a distance, but considering their acid blood, spiked tails, and second mouths, confronting them in melee range is a deadly proposition. In order to communicate the sheer power and ferocity of the xenomorphs , the team is implementing a mechanic it is calling "close encounters." There are scripted sequences that allow players to witness an alien that the regular gameplay wouldn't otherwise accommodate.

Similar in concept to the button-press minigames popularized by God of War, close encounters will differ in execution. For example, one close encounter we witnessed from a first-person perspective was the player character getting grabbed by an alien from above, and then dragged through a vertical ventilation shaft. After firing a few rounds from his pulse rifle, the marine briefly scared off the creature, then he began to kick out a nearby grate to escape. After getting halfway out, there was a tug at his leg, and he was pulled back inside the vent, frantically shooting and pleading for rescue.

"Close encounters are almost unlimited in their ability to let us do what we want to do," elaborates Schuler. "Aliens can interact with the world -- it isn't just a bunch of button presses until it's over. The alien could leap back onto a cabinet, or another one of your squadmates. He could leap back and through a duct and out of sight."

Since these sequences are intended to be a cinematic way to showcase the aliens and their tactics, it doesn't do much good if a big button prompt pops up in the middle of the screen. The marine's actions described in the ventilation shaft example are initiated by the player by responding to less intrusive instructions. A subtle flash of green on the right side of the screen tells you to move the analog stick in that directions, whereas one in the upper-left corner could be a prompt to pull the left trigger. By briefly abandoning the game's usual control scheme, close encounters make it possible for the team to create those one-of-a-kind combat situations that capture the flavor of the most iconic moments in Aliens. "If we were to recreate the power-loader battle against the queen, that would be a close encounter." Schuler concludes."

gameinformer

Thanks, I'll pick one up. Those screens looked sick. And GOW 2 will definitely be on my list too. :D

PLEASE GOD I BEG U TO NOT LET THIS BE A FLOP.

I second that motion. It appears it'll have both single-player and four-player coop mode, like SOCOM: Combined Assault. I have a feeling this game is gonna kick major ass!!!

Last edited:
INFO COURTESY OF SABRES AND MY COPY AND PASTE TECHNIQUES

Here's some interesting tidbits by one of the games producers...

"For example, you might find yourself in a hangar bay with only two exits and hostiles on all sides. Before you are completely overwhelmed, you will have a few precious seconds to increase your odds of survival. You may send one team member to reactivate a gun turret in the corner, order another to close the metal shielding over the windows, and personally seal one of the doors yourself. Then the onslaught begins, and you and your team will have to fight back a stream of aliens while securing the remaining entry points in the room, like ventilation shafts and maintenance hatches. "

"It makes sense to shoot aliens when they are at a distance, but considering their acid blood, spiked tails, and second mouths, confronting them in melee range is a deadly proposition. In order to communicate the sheer power and ferocity of the xenomorphs , the team is implementing a mechanic it is calling "close encounters." There are scripted sequences that allow players to witness an alien that the regular gameplay wouldn't otherwise accommodate.

Similar in concept to the button-press minigames popularized by God of War, close encounters will differ in execution. For example, one close encounter we witnessed from a first-person perspective was the player character getting grabbed by an alien from above, and then dragged through a vertical ventilation shaft. After firing a few rounds from his pulse rifle, the marine briefly scared off the creature, then he began to kick out a nearby grate to escape. After getting halfway out, there was a tug at his leg, and he was pulled back inside the vent, frantically shooting and pleading for rescue.

"Close encounters are almost unlimited in their ability to let us do what we want to do," elaborates Schuler. "Aliens can interact with the world -- it isn't just a bunch of button presses until it's over. The alien could leap back onto a cabinet, or another one of your squadmates. He could leap back and through a duct and out of sight."

Since these sequences are intended to be a cinematic way to showcase the aliens and their tactics, it doesn't do much good if a big button prompt pops up in the middle of the screen. The marine's actions described in the ventilation shaft example are initiated by the player by responding to less intrusive instructions. A subtle flash of green on the right side of the screen tells you to move the analog stick in that directions, whereas one in the upper-left corner could be a prompt to pull the left trigger. By briefly abandoning the game's usual control scheme, close encounters make it possible for the team to create those one-of-a-kind combat situations that capture the flavor of the most iconic moments in Aliens. "If we were to recreate the power-loader battle against the queen, that would be a close encounter." Schuler concludes."

sounds like it will have resident evil change your pants type moments :lol:chew

WOW! :monkey5

Those pictures look amazing! I really can't wait for this! :chew

PsychoCenobite :monkey5

PS. Does anyone remember the Aliens game on the Atari Jaguar?

If they can bring state-of-the-art AI to the xenomorphs so that they behave like real creatures instead of just scripted video game monsters, you can bet keeping a few pairs of clean skivvies on hand will become SOP. :monkey4 :rotfl

Yeah, this will be another one of those great Freaks multiplayer games. I can't wait! Same for Gears 2, I'll make sure I buy that one and get to playing with you guys.

Still can't find Gears for less than $40. :monkey4

I have a question for any online players. I've been dyin' to play online but just haven't been able to yet. Being in a different part of the world is part of the reason. Can anyone tell me if the PS3's online setup will enable me to play online with people in other parts of the world?

I'd love to be able to play coop games like Aliens Colonial Marines with my fellow Freaks. Otherwise, it looks like I'll be playing this one in single player mode only. :monkey2

I heard that if you create a new online account and put your region as the US, it should enable you to play on the US servers. I know that's how people were downloading new stuff off the Japanese servers,like games and demos.

But don't take my word as gospel, that's just what I heard. That's one of the things I don't like about PSN, they separate out their servers by world region.

I have a friend at the GDC right now and hes going to bring more info on this game and GOW2 :rock and free **** for me!!!!:chew:chew:chew

Back