Alien: Isolation

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only thing I can compare it to is PT scary. I played some more last night, but still haven't gotten to where the Xeno is actually in the game, I still have a little bit more to get to that.

The PC port is pretty meh. Bare bones video options and absolutely illogical keybord config. The game uses vertical FOV which is set to 47 by default while I need 78 (in-game slider gives 75 max so I was forced to customize the config). Anything higher than 55 will make Amanda's body invisible.

Played for two hours and outside of the scary atmosphere and basic setting of Sevastopol station I can't say anything possitive. In terms of design it tries too hard to be old school yet visualls and direction are very modern. Bad facial animation is inexcusable.

I can't say anything possitive.

XIzQpNp.gif

Bringing this up in case there are anyone else on here who is currently playing this game.

This is a game I have developed a love/hate relationship with. I've been playing it for about 3 months or so and I'm about 1/3 thru the penultimate level on mission 17 and I've already probably spent several hours on it and I'm stuck. I can't evade well enough to restart that stupid generator, the alien is a MAJOR **** in this level! Arrgh!

Overall i think the look and feel is there, but sometimes it's really hard and I'm on the easy level, which cuts down on the enjoyment factor some. My main thing I hate with console games I have it on Ps3) is the inability to save anywhere. Granted it's better than having to reach save check points, but I have been killed many times trying to wait fro the thing to load the save feature! Then when it does do a successful save you breathe a sigh of relief. I too was ambivalent on the game when I heard of the release and overall story line but they did a great job with the look, feel and put JUST enough tip of the hat/homages in it. The real thing will be will I attempt it on a more difficult level once I do manage to beat it? Often I'm so flustered by the end of games like this, that their replay value is nil (pretty much any Tomb Raider game I feel this way). I guess it'll depend on how long it takes me to beat it, I know I'm close but if I have more than one big chaps to contend with the way you did in the nest, on the failing station it's gonna suck!

The end was pretty difficult at times and I felt the game could use a little better navigation systems (maybe like deadspace) but I loved the game. I actually really liked the save system too. Made you never feel safe.

Bringing this up in case there are anyone else on here who is currently playing this game.

This is a game I have developed a love/hate relationship with. I've been playing it for about 3 months or so and I'm about 1/3 thru the penultimate level on mission 17 and I've already probably spent several hours on it and I'm stuck. I can't evade well enough to restart that stupid generator, the alien is a MAJOR **** in this level! Arrgh!

Overall i think the look and feel is there, but sometimes it's really hard and I'm on the easy level, which cuts down on the enjoyment factor some. My main thing I hate with console games I have it on Ps3) is the inability to save anywhere. Granted it's better than having to reach save check points, but I have been killed many times trying to wait fro the thing to load the save feature! Then when it does do a successful save you breathe a sigh of relief. I too was ambivalent on the game when I heard of the release and overall story line but they did a great job with the look, feel and put JUST enough tip of the hat/homages in it. The real thing will be will I attempt it on a more difficult level once I do manage to beat it? Often I'm so flustered by the end of games like this, that their replay value is nil (pretty much any Tomb Raider game I feel this way). I guess it'll depend on how long it takes me to beat it, I know I'm close but if I have more than one big chaps to contend with the way you did in the nest, on the failing station it's gonna suck!

Sounds like you need to decrease the difficulty level. Make ample use of noisemakers if you have them to distract the Alien. Listen for audio cues from the vents where the alien usually lurks. If right above you don't move, don't even pull out the the motion tracker. Don't walk, don't run, crouch-walk all the time. Find the flamethrower and it'll make you feel like a god.

Last edited:
Sounds like you need to decrease the difficulty level. Make ample use of noisemakers if you have them to distract the Alien. Listen for audio cues from the vents where the alien usually lurks. If right above you don't move, don't even pull out the the motion tracker. Don't walk, don't run, crouch-walk all the time. Find the flamethrower and it'll make you feel like a god.

I'm on the easiest difficulty. Do the crouch walk which is slower but quieter, use the flamethrower but I have like 150 units left and I know I'll need them for facehuggers probably. Have like 4 rounds of shotgun one or two noisemakers IIRC. one thing I've noticed is, my flame blasts seem to not shoo Big Chap off as easily as I see him going away in the on line video walk thrus. Perhaps it's a PC/console issue. OR that on the easy level you need to use MORE flame blasts to get him to go, which goes against the 'easy' level setting. Maybe I'm too far away and the flame blast isn't hitting him as much?

Where I am in this level is about 10:40 into this video-

Just before I enter that room. Yes I can evade him there or shoo him off, but I'm trying to conserve fuel. Once i Throw the wall switch it's back track to the generator and then have to back track to this door and I'm gettin killed all the time on the way to one of these. Try not using the light but I kinda need it to see. Frustrating, but on the other hand, fun in a way!

Oh that part! It's annoying as heck for sure. The Alien will pop out more often in that section, so save your fuel and noise makers (only use them if absolutely necessary). Just use your crouch walk, and try your best to evade. It took me a few hours to get through there, if I recall correctly :slap.

For the flame blast, you'll need to be at just the right distance, not to far, but not too close either. Keep the flames going in short but continuous bursts and walk towards him as you're blasting away. Don't get too close though, or else he'll knock you to the ground as he runs off.

Last edited:
Took me about another 2.5hrs but I made it thru there and to the end! Oddly once you're done there, I managed to do almost 3/4 of the next level with NO INTERACTION from Big Chap. Well once I figured don't mess with the android who is lying on the ground and shoot him as a preemptive strike, that'll bring them real fast. Ignore the droid, and don't wake him up, I didn't have to contend with BC until I had to open the door to go down the stairs.

Picked up the "100 Times too Many" trophy! Big Chap(s) got me over 100x in the game! I think the reactor/hive level and level 17 were the hardest. 18 isn't that bad really I only was killed once because I missed a face hugger in the vent shaft or else I wold have made it thru that final level without getting killed once on the first time playing it.

Wonder if a sequel is in the works?

Took me about another 2.5hrs but I made it thru there and to the end! Oddly once you're done there, I managed to do almost 3/4 of the next level with NO INTERACTION from Big Chap. Well once I figured don't mess with the android who is lying on the ground and shoot him as a preemptive strike, that'll bring them real fast. Ignore the droid, and don't wake him up, I didn't have to contend with BC until I had to open the door to go down the stairs.

Picked up the "100 Times too Many" trophy! Big Chap(s) got me over 100x in the game! I think the reactor/hive level and level 17 were the hardest. 18 isn't that bad really I only was killed once because I missed a face hugger in the vent shaft or else I wold have made it thru that final level without getting killed once on the first time playing it.

Wonder if a sequel is in the works?

They shot down the idea of a sequel before since Sega seemed not happy with the sales, but with the recent announcement of a VR treatment maybe we can get a boost in sales from that so we may indeed get an Isolation part two.

Yeah this game kinda got screwed. After Colonial Marines people were just looking for a reason to hate it so with IGN giving it a stupid low score for no real reason and a couple others making a big deal about the small issues the game has it was doomed.

Bringing up an old thread sorry but I am loving this game. It’s absolutely impossible and I haven’t got far but I’ve never been more excited just sitting in a closet doing absolutely nothing! It is just nerve wracking anxiety inducing fun lol! The look of the game is incredible and overall the interface, saving, map etc is better than typical for a game like this. Trying real hard not to give up and go to a walkthrough but at least I got a couple of pointers from this thread.

Picked it up for $15AU off the PS store.

Bringing up an old thread sorry but I am loving this game. It’s absolutely impossible and I haven’t got far but I’ve never been more excited just sitting in a closet doing absolutely nothing! It is just nerve wracking anxiety inducing fun lol! The look of the game is incredible and overall the interface, saving, map etc is better than typical for a game like this. Trying real hard not to give up and go to a walkthrough but at least I got a couple of pointers from this thread.

Picked it up for $15AU off the PS store.
The game has a dynamic difficulty where it know where to cool off when things get too hot for you and when to crank up the challenge when you're getting too comfortable so I'd say you're probably doing just fine. The Xenomorph will learn from your tricks if you keep doing them (hide too many times in lockers and it will start busting trough locker doors for example).

What I love (and some people don't) about this game is how it maintains that tension all the way to the end enough to make you snap. I remember when I was almost at the end and went "Enough of this BS already!!" but in retrospect that's what I love about it so much. Unlike games like Resident Evil where you get to be the baddass eventually, this is the reverse where you NEVER get a break. It's unapologetic, uncompromising and dead set on making you miserable.

The game has a dynamic difficulty where it know where to cool off when things get too hot for you and when to crank up the challenge when you're getting too comfortable so I'd say you're probably doing just fine. The Xenomorph will learn from your tricks if you keep doing them (hide too many times in lockers and it will start busting trough locker doors for example).

What I love (and some people don't) about this game is how it maintains that tension all the way to the end enough to make you snap. I remember when I was almost at the end and went "Enough of this BS already!!" but in retrospect that's what I love about it so much. Unlike games like Resident Evil where you get to be the baddass eventually, this is the reverse where you NEVER get a break. It's unapologetic, uncompromising and dead set on making you miserable.
Yes, the more I play the more I notice how clever the game system is it’s not a simple repetitive cycling of the aliens movements. And yes I spent a lot of time hiding under tables which was going super well until suddenly it wasn’t so you have to mix it up. But I’ve also noticed changing the difficulty is mostly irrelevant I’m on an easier setting and have been trying to find a trauma kit for 4 days now I think lol.

Yes, the more I play the more I notice how clever the game system is it’s not a simple repetitive cycling of the aliens movements. And yes I spent a lot of time hiding under tables which was going super well until suddenly it wasn’t so you have to mix it up. But I’ve also noticed changing the difficulty is mostly irrelevant I’m on an easier setting and have been trying to find a trauma kit for 4 days now I think lol.
metal gear solid 2 was 1 of the earlier games with such ai.

i think there was another horror game that if you kept hiding under the table eventually the ai will look under.

Back