Alien Giger Maquette Inside Look

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like SS dropped the ball again. That pose does indeed look like he's getting ready to do the moonwalk. Or SS was trying to give a classic Universal monsters' pose, ala Dracula or Wolfman, to the Alien. If that's the case, they failed. What makes Giger's Alien so unique (and I don't have to explain this to the Alien fans here) is that it was the complete antithesis of those classic monsters and was, and still is, something so far out of left field, that it cannot be compared or copied. It was and still is wholly original. It is the very definition of alien. Hell, that pose is an injustice. It's like he's saying, "I want to suck your blood" or getting ready to do that jig that Alien-like puppet did in the last part of Spaceballs. That's out and out parody people. For $800 you don't want parody. You want something that screams brilliance, originality and dare I say, absolute terror from this piece. The way it stands now, this is an out and out travesty. Interesting that in another year or so we'll have a prequel to the original Alien film in theatres. Just because of this, I thought SS would have pulled out all the stops for this piece. Wrong again. I'll keep my Cinemaquette Alien, warts and all. Even with the way CM sculpted it, missing the mark on what it should have been, it puts this SS piece to shame.

Looks great - I'm still in. The pose doesn't bother me at all.

I do like the top half...If the legs were crouched low like a catcher behind the plate with the tail getting ready to strike I think it would be better....The one thing I have to say about this creature it was different from the very beginning when it was created 32 years ago...not just looks...but poses, the way it moved...everything...only thing normal about it is it had 2 legs, 2 arms, a head and tail.....THIS IS ONE CREATURE I COULD SEE STANDING AND LOOKING LIKE THIS!...Giger and Scott's treatment of this creature was so original that this would work...look at all the ways Scott made this guy attack, walk and behave on video(including deleted scenes)...Nothing like it was out there in looks and behavior or movement...Amazing......I like this even more...In person when this comes out folks will love it...The height itself will be amazing...My only hope is ES is 500 or less...This is really starting to grow on me

I'm pretty disappointed in the way this came out. I had this on my to-buy list this year, but not I'm not convinced that I should be spending $800 on it. The detail and sculpt are fantastic, but there isn't anything overall about it that says 'Alien' to me. Perhaps he'll look good next to the other Alien maquettes, but as a standalone piece, to me, he just looks awkward. I think I like the Alien Warrior piece better. I'm going to wait on this one and decide at a later date.

Well I can't remember such a bi-polar reaction to a statue in a long time. First, I think the sculpt, paint and attention to detail are amazing on this piece. The thing about the ALIEN is that it is a pretty hard character to pose. I own the ALIEN WARRIOR maquette and think that SS knocked it out of the park. I am kicking myself for not getting ALIEN 3 DOG maquette as they are grail pieces now. What they both have in common is a crouching pose, and SS might have thought that the crouching pose is getting tired. I also own the 12" Medicom RAH ALIEN-which is articulated, and I have a hard time finding any type of pose for that which really blows me away. All in all, I think SS made a good choice in representing the ALIEN-you never really get a good look at the creature which is why the movie works so well-so who knows? Maybe at some point for a split second, the creature was roaming the Nostormo in that position.

Yeah, SS missed the mark with that pose. I understand the idea but it just does not work.

PALISADES did the same sort of Nosferatu pose and nailed it IMO but it was only a bust.

blog_pali_alien_bust.jpg

I think the doing a sculpt of the original full body ALIEN is just such a hard thing to do. You never get any full body shots of him in the movie except when he is blown out of the shuttle. Even Ridley Scott was a bit unhappy with how Human (man in a suit) the ALIEN looked. So to recreating the ALIEN in a full body sculpt and staying true to the original design while trying to makle it look less then human is near impossible. Many of the full body statues of this creature are just the ALIEN standing there with arm at his side.

I wish they could have used their ALIENS mequette pose for this piece. That would have been perfect. But they already used that pose. Too bad.

The thing about the ALIEN is that it is a pretty hard character to pose. I own the ALIEN WARRIOR maquette and think that SS knocked it out of the park. I am kicking myself for not getting ALIEN 3 DOG maquette as they are grail pieces now. What they both have in common is a crouching pose, and SS might have thought that the crouching pose is getting tired. .

I just got done making my post. Then I looked and saw your post. Needless to say I think you are correct! Funny, we both alsmost said the same thing at the exact same time. I just took longer to post because I had to check on my dog.

I prefer the Alien Warrior to this piece, by a landslide. I understand what Sideshow was trying to do with the pose, but for me it doesn't translate well. However, i am sure it will look impressive next to the Alien Warrior Maquette.

I am passing and sticking with my 20" Giger Alien by NECA...IMHO this piece is not 20X better than NECA's 1/4 scale action figure.

Siddeshow Maquette vs CM
400063_press02.jpg
alien%20cinemaq2.jpg

NECA 1/4 Action Figure:
review_18alien_large.jpg

The pose of the Maquette is unique and the finishing is off the charts. The CM's pose is ideal but i'm not a fan of the finishing when compared to the Maquette. the NECA 1/4 action is what it is...a $40 toy...but far and away the best bang for the buck...for a couple bucks, a custom paint job could bring it within striking distance of these "Elite" Alien statues.

Last edited:
the pose is good, its just that thats the way the alien was in the first movie. look at all the movie screen shots, he stands straight up and looks goofy as hell. I think this is a great statue for alien fans. Im not getting one though.

But he never has that "slowly I turn pose" - or that dastardly villain - bela lugosi hands thing - plus both right limbs are forward and both left limbs are back -- just weird in a non-79 alien way...BUT the details are nice -- I'll say this, for the original diorama they did, the hands in that pose worked better b/c he was holding open a curtain of chains...

I like that the maquette looks like a guy in an awesome looking costume who's trying to be scary instead of an idealized "alien" creature. Just like the movie. Job well done SSC.

Yeah, SS missed the mark with that pose. I understand the idea but it just does not work.

PALISADES did the same sort of Nosferatu pose and nailed it IMO but it was only a bust.

blog_pali_alien_bust.jpg

I think the doing a sculpt of the original full body ALIEN is just such a hard thing to do. You never get any full body shots of him in the movie except when he is blown out of the shuttle. Even Ridley Scott was a bit unhappy with how Human (man in a suit) the ALIEN looked. So to recreating the ALIEN in a full body sculpt and staying true to the original design while trying to makle it look less then human is near impossible. Many of the full body statues of this creature are just the ALIEN standing there with arm at his side.

I wish they could have used their ALIENS mequette pose for this piece. That would have been perfect. But they already used that pose. Too bad.

not to mention that when palisades made this, people were just hungry for anything alien and weren't so concerned about the characteristic poses or details -- in retrosppect with the bar being raised to high, the alien plaque they did was probably the best out of palisades -- even better than their 1/6 statue.

For me the most imortant details are the head (particularly the mouth area and the dome shape and skull sculpt- which always vary from sculptor to sculptor), and then the hands and finger positioning - crucial to the 79 alien, then the details... and then the overall pose if it's a statue -- it doesn't have to emulate the poses in the film or pub photos, but it has to be characteristis of what he might do based on what we are used to having seen...

i guess, they just took liberties b/c the real creature would not be constrained by the rubber gloves, etc...and theoretically you could say as long as a human being can pose that way -- as awkward as it is, then it's acceptable...

Just not characteristic or necessarily the optimal performance a statue can give for what it represents, which is what most fans want, especially if that's to be the centerpiece or singular focus of a collection.

I'm not much of an Aliens fan, but I will say that this piece is pretty darn impressive. I'd say this would be a solid addition to any true Alien fan, for sure....

That's my favorite Alien dio. Very creepy when photographed at certain angles.

mine too - however, I don't have the other ones - I really like the others also - but the ALIEN is best for me-- not a pose we've seen in picsor the film, but acceptable due to what happens in the movie when we first see him...

the details are very similar to the maquette and so I'm thinking that the folks who sculpted the dio and maquette are the same -- if I'm not mistaken, the maquettes and the dios were not sculpted in-house by sideshow, but commissioned by sideshow...that explains the similarities in paint finish and sensibilities regarding the posing - esp most apparent in the hands...

You d really prefer this pose??Cos this to me looks like he s trying to explain why he s been shagging her Sister.

haha your right. i think the sideshow pose is 10x better than this. im referring tp the lambert kill pose

Muzzle, hands, pose, base and position of the "Alien" on it...

Simple fail and pass.
It's a pity because I really wanted classic HRG Alien next to my Sil... Thx Sideshow, you guys can continue to eat your straw :slap

Anyone think the forward lean to it will be a problem? Unless the head and chest are light hollow plastic I don't see how this thing will remain stable over time. Thoughts?

Anyone think the forward lean to it will be a problem? Unless the head and chest are light hollow plastic I don't see how this thing will remain stable over time. Thoughts?

as long as the rod holding it in place is secure, there's be no balance. but it should remain in place -- polystone doesn't really warp the way most plastics do -- in any case, it would just be under stress all the time, unless it is actually balanced...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back