ALIEN 5?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alien 3 is the best. Newt and Hicks died.

Right on!

I'm puzzled why anybody who considers Aliens the best by long and far would be fundamentally unhappy with the AvP franchise? It can easily be tweaked to your folks liking I reckon. :confused:

If there's to be an Alien 5, it would have to be something with the feel of Alien and/or A3.

Last edited:
They may have changed their minds with Ridley's career in a dive and desperate for a Commercial success and yes, sadly it does matter, even with him (Robin Hood project just died too) -- so maybe they are pushing it, I don't know.

Didn't American Gangster do really well last year?

Right on!

I'm puzzled why anybody who considers Aliens the best by long and far would be fundamentally unhappy with the AvP franchise? It can easily be tweaked to your folks liking I reckon. :confused:

If there's to be an Alien 5, it would have to be something with the feel of Alien and/or A3.

I'm puzzled how anyone could compare Aliens, one of the highest rates sci- fi/action movies of all time, with the horrific AVP franchise. You are in serious need of a reality check if you're going to suggest the AVP series isn't that far removed from a movie that won two oscars [seven nomination's, including a best actress nom. at a time when it was virtually unheard of to honor sci-fi's movie's in this category] and is pretty well on every top ten list in it's field. :rolleyes:

I LOVE Aliens, and I LOVE the characters. But Alien 3 is also great, and closer to Alien then the others. I like that. Newt and Hicks werent needed in that movie.

I'm puzzled how anyone could compare Aliens, one of the highest rates sci- fi/action movies of all time, with the horrific AVP franchise. You are in serious need of a reality check if you're going to suggest the AVP series isn't that far removed from a movie that won two oscars [seven nomination's, including a best actress nom. at a time when it was virtually unheard of to honor sci-fi's movie's in this category] and is pretty well on every top ten list in it's field. :rolleyes:

They aint even in the same freaking ballpark.

I LOVE Aliens, and I LOVE the characters. But Alien 3 is also great, and closer to Alien then the others. I like that. Newt and Hicks werent needed in that movie.

I thought Alien 3 was a very good movie. I wouldn't put it up there with Aliens, but a good movie nonetheless, and yes it was more in line with Alien.

They aint even in the same freaking ballpark.

They're not even in the same solar system.

Last edited:
I agree with everything, except for this....

As for Hicks and Newt, IIRC, in the commentary by David Fincher for A3, he said Biehn was paid more for the use of his likeness in a 2 second flash on the screen than he was for doing all of Aliens. Was killing off Hicks, Bishop and Newt a good idea? I don't know, but I think it's fair to say that fans had invested in those characters and should they have been killed off in the BEGINNING of the film versus at another point in the film is a very good question. The death of a major character should have some emotional resonance on the audience. You don't kill big characters just to kill them, you kill them to make a point, to drive the story, to give the protagonist conflict, to ramp up the idea that no one is safe. When and how you kill them ( a point I think many are making) is just as important as if you kill them. Alien is a franchise, even if you don't like the earlier movies, it's essential in the story telling that there is some continuity of themes and story arcs from film to film. You are just not telling one story in a franchise, you are a creating a world. The relative value of Hicks and Newt means nothing to Aliens 3 alone, but it does mean something if you step back and consider the continuity of the franchise.
GG

Ok, the entire point of killing them drove the story. Ripley was alone. That drove her to do the things she did. Everyone she's loved, or known was dead. Everyone. She didnt care if she lived or died, she just wanted ONE thing, to ensure the company DOESNT get the Alien. The chestburster sealed her fate, and she knew what she had to do. Its quite perfect. I liked hicks and newt as much as anyone...but there were more issues at play then just continutiy....Carrie Henn got older, which would totally ruin the idea of cryosleep, and plus, the whole story with them wouldnt work on that planet.

Back