Blomkamp Aliens sequel

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spartan Rex

Super Freak
Reaction score
Neill Blomkamp, the director of District 9, Elysium and the upcoming Chappie, has posted concept art from an unknown Alien project that he was working on that includes images of Sigourney Weaver's 'Ripley.'

Director Neill Blomkamp is best known for directing District 9 and Elysium. His upcoming film is Chappie, which looks like a remake of 1986 classic, Short Circuit. After that, what comes next? Well, it might have been a film set in the Ridley Scott/James Cameron Alien/Aliens universe. A few hours ago, Blomkamp posted messages along with five pieces of concept art from an Alien/Aliens project that would've included Signourney Weaver's 'Ripley.' Blomkamp wrote, "Was working on this. Don't think I am anymore. Love it though." That message was attached to an image of a Xenomorph/Alien (last image). Below, you can view all of the concept art he posted .

For me, the most interesting piece of concept art features Ripley (Sigourney Weaver) with an older and scarred Corporal Dwayne Hicks (Michael Biehn). Hicks was a main character in James Cameron's Aliens (1986), which was the sequel to Ridley Scott's 1979 film Alien. At the end of the film, Hicks along with Ripley, Newt and a badly-damaged Bishop sset their spaceship to return to Earth and enter hypersleep for the long journey. When 1992's Aliens 3 (directed by David Fincher) began, most were disappointed that Hicks and Newt were killed off-screen.

The real shame is that Biehn wanted to reprise his role, but the producers decided not to include him. I could understand killing off Newt since the actress (Carrie Henn) had aged considerably from the time Aliens had wrapped, but offing Hicks left a bad taste in my mouth.

Maybe Blomkamp pitched a film idea that would've erased the wrongs Alien 3 committed, giving us the Aliens sequel we really wanted.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 3,305
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 465
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 476
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 473
Last edited:
Re: Blomkamp/ Aliens (rejected project)

David Fincher didn't like Alien 3 either. He has openly spoken over the years about the interference and bullying from Fox. At one point a studio suit yelled at Fincher "If I tell you to you'll film a guy pissing on a wall for two hours and call it Alien 3 you'll f--ing do it!" It's all downhill from there.

Neill Blomkamp makes some interesting films. District 9 is his best so far. He makes a very convincing world in each of his films and he knows how to balance digital and practical effects.

David Fincher didn't like Alien 3 either. He has openly spoken over the years about the interference and bullying from Fox. At one point a studio suit yelled at Fincher "If I tell you to you'll film a guy pissing on a wall for two hours and call it Alien 3 you'll f--ing do it!" It's all downhill from there.

Neill Blomkamp makes some interesting films. District 9 is his best so far. He makes a very convincing world in each of his films and he knows how to balance digital and practical effects.

Wasnt James Cameron quoted as saying "If Ridley will do Alien 3 then I'd be interested in doing 4?"
Fox execs have to be a new level of stupid.

Oh cool, Neill Blomkamp wanted to make the same film he's been making since 2009's District 9 for the 4th time...but with classic Aliens this time :lol

Well, thank God that didn't happen.
This franchise got raped enough over the years, no need for Blomkamp's directing pissing on top of it for good measure.

It looks interesting and I would love to see it happen. Especially if Sigourney and Biehn returned.

Couldn't be worse than Alien 3, Resurrection, and the A:CM game. :p

Last edited:

I met Michael Beihn about 2 years ago at a convention and he told me that he was talking with Fox about reprising his role as hicks again in something. This was after A:CM came out btw, I wonder if this was the project he was talking about.

Would love to have seen what could have been. Wonder if this got shelved in order to clear the runway for Ridley to make Prometheus.

This may have been promising. Fincher released a special version of Alien3 with the four movie dvd box set. It was'nt a directors cut, but rather his 'true' version of the film without interference by fox, it included some extra footage and an alternative host for the facehugger ( beast of burden ) instead of the con's dog.

This version explains things better and smooths over some of the plot holes that are evident.
Hicks was a great character, would have loved to see his return.

I would take this over Prometheus, Alien 3 and 4 any day, the bad luck of this franchise is unbelievable

This franchise got raped enough over the years, no need for Blomkamp's directing pissing on top of it for good measure.

giphy.gif

Would love to have seen what could have been. Wonder if this got shelved in order to clear the runway for Ridley to make Prometheus.

likely, thats some poor decision making

hqdefault.jpg

It's been long known in the industry that studio execs don't have a creative bone in their bodies. For that matter, if one cares to investigate Spielberg it's been long known in circles within the industry that he's not so much creative as he is very good at ripping creative people off... if you get to know the real history of Hollywood and many of its sainted film makers, it makes you want to hurl.

Would at least have to see the story treatment before passing judgement based on a couple of concept art pieces. I hated Alien 3, and 4 was just nonsensical. So a retcon that wipes those out wouldn't phase me. How bad could Blomkamp's version have been? I like that they could have brought back Ripley and Hicks, and for that matter Newt could have come back as well, older, more battle hardened and seeking revenge for her family's deaths. It looks like it would have been set years after making it back to Earth. Also like the idea of finding one of the ship and stripping the tech (maybe that's where the Alien disguise/infiltration suit comes from).

I'm sure any chance of Blomkamp's version getting greenlit was derailed by Prometheus 2. Although Prometheus looked beautiful and had some actors I like (Fassbender, Elba and Theron) it was kind of a muddled mess of a movie. I think Scott is trying to push Prometheus 2 for some kind of validation. However given how bad Exodus performed in theaters, he probably doesn't have the power to get a big budget flick pushed through that he did a few months ago. I think he has a reputation of being crotchety and difficult to work with. So you never know if h'wood is going to be ready to gamble another $200M to make a sequel to an underperforming franchise, especially one that doesn't feature the familiar Aliens. Sure Fassbender is still hot, but Rapace is not exactly star power, so will the audience care about their continuing adventures? And still no familiar Xenomorphs?

While it would be nice to see a final chapter of Aliens with Weaver and Biehn (that ignores A3 & A4), I think given their ages it's more likely the studio will decide to do a complete franchise reboot. It would be cheaper to bring in a new hot shot director, updated Alien design and maybe some new additions to the xenomorph species, and a fresh cast. They could then focus on creating a movie that would appeal to today's global audience rather than trying to pull old actors and storylines out of mothballs to see if they can squeeze a little more juice out of a 35-year-old franchise. TBH that's what I would do if I held the rights to the franchise.

Last edited:

at this time... I just want a remake. It is obvious good new ideas are not possible to be created so If all they can do is remake what worked in the past then so be it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back