3.75" Collecting Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As it happens on a regular basis for several years now (Toy Fairs and conventions), a few fan sites had a little chat with Hasbro representatives. Beside a few other news, Hasbro confirmed they were figuring out a way to include their international fan base into the Barge deal. It might not happen before 2019 though.

Check the link here under for more.

https://www.jeditemplearchives.com/...ant-sail-barge-youre-international-collector/

Just to play Devil's Advocate, Has anyone thought that possibly logistics could be the factor determining Hasbro (US) not offering the barge overseas? The thing will be 4 feet long and will have a ton of parts. Imagine the size of the box and the shipping that will be incurred. Then there is the after purchase support on pieces that are missing or damaged in transit. They would have to send out replacements which is additional shipping that is usually expected to be paid by the vendor. Plus, where would you stop it? Europe only? UK? Japan? Fans in the middle east? Shipping could reach as much as the barge. Plus they begin to encroach on their international subsidiaries.

Just to play Devil's Advocate, Has anyone thought that possibly logistics could be the factor determining Hasbro (US) not offering the barge overseas? The thing will be 4 feet long and will have a ton of parts. Imagine the size of the box and the shipping that will be incurred. Then there is the after purchase support on pieces that are missing or damaged in transit. They would have to send out replacements which is additional shipping that is usually expected to be paid by the vendor. Plus, where would you stop it? Europe only? UK? Japan? Fans in the middle east? Shipping could reach as much as the barge. Plus they begin to encroach on their international subsidiaries.

Yeah, that's what I was mentioning about Matty's Castle Grayskull - even for U.S. customers, the shipping on that was nearly $60 (and that's five years ago) and I seem to recall hearing amounts of $200. But again, that was mostly a very large solid item whereas the barge may be broken down into 3-4 pieces that fit closely.

Knowing that this was 100% a non-retail store item that had to be shipped from the get-go means Hasbro would have been thinking about the shipping issue from day one.

Huge items like the AT-AT were never that. They had to be designed to sell themselves on a retail shelf (as a "big value for money" box, large exciting artwork,) whereas the Barge doesn't have to do that.

Seems like they could just open it to international customers with whatever increase in shipping costs that would be necessary. I mean if people are willing to pay it why deny them.

The wider point is, it may not get over the line without international customers. It's interesting that it was announced a couple of days ago so I would have expected it to be close to half way there by now (at least a third,) but its still less than a fifth.

And I'm not sure this would be in a vintage style box mostly because it's such a huge item, and also it's 100% arriving by post so will have a tendency to be damaged. BUt maybe you need the glossy box for such an expensive item.

If they are doing the glossy vintage box, I'd be pretty unhappy about that because I'd rather save that $25 or whatever extra - and in terms of saving $$$ the same goes for some of the interior compartments. I'd rather see them leave out the cockpit, jail (its cool and relates to the Palace but why would you have a jail cell on a pleasure barge?) and kitchen (???!) and even the hammerhead skeleton and just focus on the stuff you see in the movie - I like the stairs up to the barge deck because you actually see characters coming up what must be stairs to battle Luke.

If they had left these things out - which are cool "cherry on top" type things but unnecessary - this might have been in that $350-400 range it needed to be.

I went ahead and backed for 2 sail barges. I figure I have nothing to lose. If it doesn’t happen, I’m out nothing. If it happens, this will easily be worth double upon release and selling one would pay for the both of them

Vintage Kenner packaging has been confirmed: https://www.hasbrolab.com/#details

Ugh, well there went that extra $25.:lol

But as I said - if you're paying $500 you don't want it to come in a brown box.

I will say this - if this gets made, it'll be a stellar investment. It may cost $500, but I can see this in a mint box being worth a lot more than that in the future just due to the nature of how its being made/sold.

Ugh, well there went that extra $25.:lol

But as I said - if you're paying $500 you don't want it to come in a brown box.

I will say this - if this gets made, it'll be a stellar investment. It may cost $500, but I can see this in a mint box being worth a lot more than that in the future just due to the nature of how its being made/sold.

Yeah I imagine that an AFA 85 or above will be worth one hell of a pretty penny down the line.

I still can't get over the fact that this thing is being made. Now where's Palitoy when we need it?

I stopped collecting this scale in favor of 1/6 but I’m planning to support this, especially if it’s getting close and needs extra backers. Supposedly they are working on making this available to international markets, UK and Europe at the very least. Can’t imagine the inevitable complaints concerning the box condition for MIMB collectors though.

I'm pretty much out of Hot Toys. I've been tempted by many things but not pulled any triggers so far. This thing has inserted itself ahead of those temptations. If they decide to allow internationals in on it I'll see how much it'll cost and possibly rationalise it as a Hot Toys '89 Batmobile type of purchase.

I stopped collecting this scale in favor of 1/6 but I’m planning to support this, especially if it’s getting close and needs extra backers. Supposedly they are working on making this available to international markets, UK and Europe at the very least. Can’t imagine the inevitable complaints concerning the box condition for MIMB collectors though.

If they open it international buyers I guess we can look forward to complaints about shipping costs.

Potentially if they don't open it to international buyers you won't be able to look forward to anything at all.

Exactly. I can’t see this hitting 5000 backers from just US sellers alone. They really need us International fans to get in on this otherwise they’re just shooting themselves, and their fans in the feet.

Back