2019 Oscar Nominations

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really don't get the negativity. I'm glad to see Black Panther get a best picture nomination. Does it deserve it? Who knows. The nomination is a breakthrough for the genre. I liked Infinity War better as a movie and have rewatched it more times. However, IW was building on previous films in the series, whereas Black Panther was completely new world building.

:goodpost: :exactly: :lecture

My jaw was on the ground when I saw Batman as **** Cheney.

XS5LK.gif

Simple Bush 001.jpg

Wow, I didn't notice that Lady Gaga had been nominated for best actress. I have to give that film a look.

Man that starts to sound freaky - either an Alien signal or some demonic screech from Event Horizon or something.

:lol

Too bad Banner didn't say "Ouch time" when Thor showed up, lol.

"Quick Banner! Turn into Hulka!"

"Meesa don't have a hulka!" :panic:

:lol

There is only one movie worthy of Best Picture of 2018
Mandy-podcast.jpg

mandy-box-office.jpg

Quick what are the 8 best action movies ever made!

That’s right, SW, ESB, Raiders, Die Hard, Predator, Aliens, Robocop, T2.

Did any get nominated or win for best picture?

That’s right, no they did not!

What’s the lesson learned here?

That’s right ignore the Oscars and enjoy what YOU like.

Here is the real question about BP....

Does anyone really take this seriously? Is it not obvious that its pandering? Are there really people out there thinking “Damn straight! That was the best film of the year! And the first comic book film worthy of a nomination for Best Picture?

I doubt it.

So we all know why its on the list, the people who put it on the list know it also, (which makes it even worse somehow)

Hollywoods signals lately are about as subtle as a brink being thrown in your face, and its detracting from the actual issues.

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

Here is the real question about BP....

Does anyone really take this seriously? Is it not obvious that its pandering? Are there really people out there thinking “Damn straight! That was the best film of the year! And the first comic book film worthy of a nomination for Best Picture?

I doubt it.

So we all know why its on the list, the people who put it on the list know it also, (which makes it even worse somehow)

Hollywoods signals lately are about as subtle as a brink being thrown in your face, and its detracting from the actual issues.

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

If this is the industry’s way of celebrating the MCU very unique success story then whatever i’m ok with it even though for me I see AEG as the culmination of that success not BP but I also understand why BP was chosen the movie was a HUGE hit WITHOUT using the Avengers!!!

We have to understand that the MCU in a way revitalized hollywood’s income so OF COURSE they’re going to honor their bread maker especially with a fake nomination no one takes seriously.

This is simply just a celebration of money and success not of narrative movie quality ALTHOUGH one can also say it’s honoring the MCU NARRATIVE, no?

In other words they’re killing 2 birds with one stone, it doesn’t damage the Oscar “reputation” while also celebrating the cultural success of BP and the MCU as a whole.

If this is the industry’s way of celebrating the MCU very unique success story then whatever i’m ok with it.

It isn't though, that's what annoys me about it. It's not about celebrating the particular genre, it isn't a sign that they'll ever do so again in the future. It's purely about them overcompensating for previous years where they were accused of not nominating enough black people. So this was like 'hey, this movie is teeming with black people and it was directed by one aswell' - and that was the only thing that mattered about the film as far as they are concerned.

If the MCU's achievement and the genre itself had any bearing on the decision then Infinity War would have been nominated instead as it was easily the more impressive film.

It isn't though, that's what annoys me about it. It's not about celebrating the particular genre, it isn't a sign that they'll ever do so again in the future. It's purely about them overcompensating for previous years where they were accused of not nominating enough black people. So this was like 'hey, this movie is teeming with black people and it was directed by one aswell' - and that was the only thing that mattered about the film as far as they are concerned.

If the MCU's achievement and the genre itself had any bearing on the decision then Infinity War would have been nominated instead as it was easily the more impressive film.

Yep. Was a time I thought - and it was often true - that whether a film was "arty" or downright unpleasant or IMO boring, there was a good reason industry professionals nominated a film. Not for general popularity, but for creative excellence, across the board for Best Picture - script, acting, editing, lighting, design...

Tho that was before I found out what the actual process for winning is, the "campaigning", that voters may have not even actually watched the movies they are voting on...

If professional excellence (as evaluated by people in the business) doesn't count any more, then the Oscars are about like the People's Choice or Empire Magazine awards. Might as well forget the Academy and let everyone vote by the 'net.

Well I did add it’s cultural box office significance as part of the package why it was nominated so hell yeah there’s that going on as well no doubt about it.

While IW was a better movie because it was a culmination of everything the MCU built up towards it was BP that earned the award due to the historical agenda at play.

I wish TDK came out in 2018 just to see what the Academy was going to do lol

BP is a landmark for blockbuster films. I can see why they would recognize that. Just like when SW was nominated for it being a special effects landmark. I'm pretty sure no one thought it was Godfather level drama, acting or directing, but it was groundbreaking for other reasons. Also, if District 9 can get a best picture nomination, then BP getting one isn't that crazy. I just wish it hadn't been the FIRST comic book movie to achieve it, since it's not necessarily the best, but they're not honoring it for being the best, so I can accept it.

Back