12" Indy In Adventure Gear: Raiders Version Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got mine today as well, and also have a pretty floppy one. I do love the sculpt, though. Absolutely the best Harrison Ford likeness they've produced. I've avoided all of the Han Solos so far 'cause I just don't see Ford there. Indy's great, though.

Plus, the 5 o'clock shadow looks pretty good in person -- better than most photos I've seen. The only really sucky thing is that my box was missing his satchel, so I just emailed Customer Service to see if they can ship me one.

You gotta have Indy's satchel, or "shoulder bag". That's an important part of his outfit. Hopefully Sideshow will send you one quickly. :whip

I cracked my Indy open last night and I have to say I was really let down by it. I paid SSC price for the exclusive and I don't think it was worth it.

My complaints:
- loose neck (which a lot of people mentioned in other posts)
- the loose hat, what good is it if it doesn't fit?
- the whip holder thingy, it took awhile for me to get the magnet to connect. I was afraid I was going to ruin it. I felt it was a little short in length
- the fasteners on his jacket, they are a different color.
- the choice in hand selections
- the .45 seems kind of small. I'm no gun person so I don't know if the scale is off.
- the strap on his gas mask bag seems way to flimsy
- no ankle joints
- I noticed a little paint nic on the brim of his hat, no big deal I can paint that.
- the black piece that fits into the peg hole is very loose. I guess I'll wrap some electric tape around it.

I've read a few posts and most seem to like the 12" Indy figure are there any besides myself who were let down?

I was considering buying Toht but after this, I think I'll wait and look for a better price.

I cracked my Indy open last night and I have to say I was really let down by it. I paid SSC price for the exclusive and I don't think it was worth it.

My complaints:
- the whip holder thingy, it took awhile for me to get the magnet to connect. I was afraid I was going to ruin it. I felt it was a little short in length
- the .45 seems kind of small. I'm no gun person so I don't know if the scale is off.
- no ankle joints
- I noticed a little paint nic on the brim of his hat, no big deal I can paint that.
- the black piece that fits into the peg hole is very loose. I guess I'll wrap some electric tape around it.

I've read a few posts and most seem to like the 12" Indy figure are there any besides myself who were let down?

I was considering buying Toht but after this, I think I'll wait and look for a better price.

It never was supposed to fit. That's why they included a seperate head sculpt with the hat on.

Yep, the loose hat is for hatless Indy to hold. It was never intended to fit and with the two heads you really don't need it to. The ankles joints are there but it's a poor design IMO.

Yep, the loose hat is for hatless Indy to hold. It was never intended to fit and with the two heads you really don't need it to. The ankles joints are there but it's a poor design IMO.

I think that was my biggest disappointment with the Pro body. The joint is so tight inside the boots you have to remove the whole lot to position the feet how you want and then put them back on. Makes getting dynamic poses a chore. Horrible design.

Has anyone ever said what caused the .45 accident in the bar scene?

How do you miss something like that? :lol

Apparently it's not an accident. From IndyGear:

The Browning Hi-Power—The Raiders Backup Weapon
Raiders of the Lost Ark is the only film in which Indy carries two pistols, though exactly where he keeps the second one throughout the film is unknown. Indy's alternate handgun in Raiders was the Browning Hi-Power (HP). This pistol can first be seen in the Ravenwood bar scene and later just before Katanga's ship is boarded. Like its cousin the Colt M1911, the Browning HP may be regarded as one of the most successful semi-automatic pistol designs ever produced. Not only is it still in service in large numbers, but it also has been produced at many locations in many countries. It was one of the last weapon designs produced by John Browning before his death in 1925, but it was not until 1935 that the HP was placed in production by FN at Liege, Belgium.

Here are a couple of screen shots from Raiders:
RotLA-browning.jpg

RotLA-browning2.jpg

Also found this:

I heard that 9mm Browning HiPowers are often used in films instead because they take blanks easier. Is Indy's backup gun actually a Colt .45? The original idea was to have Indy carry the big Colt 1911 A1 in the first drafts, but in later revisions it was determined that the Browning model 35 (Highpower) should be put in it's place, as the acquisition of blanks and adapters would be much easier for the movie prop man to obtain, considering they were shooting the movie on two different continents. The actual scene, according to Lee Kepler, was to show Indy go to his desk while talking to Marcus (just before going after the Ark), pull out the big Smith in the rag AND the Browning and determine which gun to take. He would have determined to take both, and toss them into his suit case. It was decided to cut the scene short, and he only pulled out and tossed the one revolver in the shot.

For what it's worth, I am very happy that SS saw fit to include the Browning with the figure, it's one of those small details that casual viewers wouldn't even notice, kind of like Han Solo's two different blasters in ANH. In fact, I am surprised SS didn't give us the Browning as the exclusive item like they did with smuggler Han.

Anwway, I keep Indy's Browning in his satchel.

My complaints:
- no ankle joints

Same thing in real life. To give you some size perspective, for being a .45cal pistol, both the Browning and the Colt 1911 are physically smaller and thinner than the 9mm Beretta used in Lethal Weapon:

Yes, I stand corrected regarding the no articulation in the ankle joints, what I meant was the lack of articulation, yes it rotates but it does not move up and down (if I wanted I couldn't pose him on his tippy toes).

I understand about the loose Indy hat and how it's for just "holding", but it's those sort of details that SSC should be looking for, when I compared the hatless Indy head with the fedora, there was no way it would have fit him, despite having his hair sculpted. Minor detail that just kind of irked me. I think if they were to have made the hat fit the hatless head in the first place the price might not have been as high. I did think it was a nice touch having cloth in the hat.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate my figure, I guess during these times I wanted a perfect figure for the amount of money that I spent.

hey folks, is $90 dollars a good price for this figure? because I'm about to make a purchase and pick it up locally for $90.

Yes, I stand corrected regarding the no articulation in the ankle joints, what I meant was the lack of articulation, yes it rotates but it does not move up and down (if I wanted I couldn't pose him on his tippy toes).

The joint does move back and forth or laterally if you rotate it. It's just a bigger version of the ball joints in the wrist pegs.

I understand about the loose Indy hat and how it's for just "holding", but it's those sort of details that SSC should be looking for, when I compared the hatless Indy head with the fedora, there was no way it would have fit him, despite having his hair sculpted. Minor detail that just kind of irked me. I think if they were to have made the hat fit the hatless head in the first place the price might not have been as high. I did think it was a nice touch having cloth in the hat.

Like the faces on the headsculpts, isn't the hat the same sculpt as the one sculpted on the hatted Indy's head?! :google And I think we'd all prefer a non-hat-haired Indy vs. having the Fedora look like Medi's Mego one. If Sideshow could have done it without having it look horrible, I'm more than certain they would have.

Additionally, I think for $90, we got a really great figure. Medicom's was a nightmare at $160 and the McCoy version was $300+ and arguably (from what I've read and seen) not as good as Sideshow's.

Last edited:
I got mine a few minutes ago, and I'm actually WAY more impressed with him than I thought I would be. I've seen lots of pictures and read a lot about this figure, but he really does look good in hand. He's far from perfect, of course. The paint could be a bit better and the joints are definitely on the loose side. Still, the outfit actually seems better than that of the PF in some places. Overall, I'm definitely glad I got him. I'll try and get some pictures up later.

Back