12" Indy In Adventure Gear: Raiders Version Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't think that only because they keep picking up new ones, if they were in over their heads, it'd be stupid to keep going after more, you'd have to be blindly greedy to do that and SSC doesn't strike me that way.

It doesn't mean they're greedy or stupid, but they could very well be misguided.

I think Sideshow's biggest mistake was announcing Indy on the new body, without a definite lock being in on when that body would be ready. I could be wrong, but I can't see what else would be holding this figure up for so long. They should just have announced the figure, and if the prometheus was ready in time to ship with Indy, then by all means do it - if not, put out the figure on the buck and at least capitalize on momentum, and maybe release a different film version of Indy on the new body later on down the line.

Of course not all of this is Sideshow's fault - I think they were hoping KOTCS would restart the Indy franchise, and while the film was financially successful, critics were divided, and even though audiences seemed pleased, it hasn't lingered in the public consciousness. So I guess what might have been planned as a much more comprehensive assortment got aborted pretty quickly, with Belloq released at least as an attempt to recoup some of the R&D costs, and the environment bundled with him to make an otherwise ho-hum looking character attractive. My gut feeling is that Belloq was originally planned as a filler character to keep enthusiasm alive between Indy and other "wow" character, but production delays and lower than expected sales of Indy merchandise industry-wide has brought this line to a premature end, before that "wow" character could be got to production level.

Bottom line, though - Sideshow should have had 3 or 4 characters able to go into production within 6 months of announcing the license, and at least two of them should have been more than just a guy in a white suit. That way they could have looked at how Indy himself was selling, and released another character that would either increase interest if sales were slow (eg Mola Ram, Toht, Henry Snr), or maintain it if sales were fast (eg Belloq, Donovan).

How ironic that a figure due to debut a body named after someone who created and gave life to men of clay, and stole fire from the gods to give to man has fizzled out so lifelessly!

Where was it announced that Sideshow had killed the Indy line?

That's the impression I'm getting from the chatter in here....

I know Hasbro has lowered the ax....but...

Did I miss something?

There's been no official announcement. Sideshow will never declare a line dead, but many of us have been collecting Sideshow stuff long enough to be able to read the writing on the wall. I don't think they're done with Indy figures, but it won't be a long running line.

You're right - nothing official has been said, but it's been such a long time with so little action...I guess I'm just interpreting writing on the wall...

The Highlander disappeared overnight after a lull. People are waiting for the Buffy/Angel line to suddenly go missing. Indy is on this same fast track. Unless SSC provide two figure offerings before the end of the year it'll be the end. Look at LOTR, once Gandalf ships they'll be no figure previewed, ordered or shipping. That line has the same writing on the wall

Its a shame if it does happen...Indy had alot of characters that people would have loved to see 1/6 scale. And even tho Hot-Toys has got they're releases on the pipe-line, i think alot of folks would have loved to see SSC try to push them a little further.

Well, that's gonna be too bad if that's the case. I'm not looking to fill a shelve with this line, but a few more figures from Sideshow would be welcomed,

I'm pretty sure the line is on a dying vine, whether they'd admit it or not. And the real shame of it is that it did not have to be. This line had ALL of the momentum necessary for something special when the first Indy was announced. All Sideshow had to do was announce a couple more interesting figures to keep interest and buzz going and/or ensure they had their ducks in a row and were able to actually ship the Indy figure when buzz was near its peak. Neither of those has happened, and they have no one to blame but themselves.

The Belloq with Environment is nice and all, but 2 announced figures and 1 environment with none released after more than a full year = FAIL.

I'm pretty sure the line is on a dying vine, whether they'd admit it or not. And the real shame of it is that it did not have to be. This line had ALL of the momentum necessary for something special when the first Indy was announced. All Sideshow had to do was announce a couple more interesting figures to keep interest and buzz going and/or ensure they had their ducks in a row and were able to actually ship the Indy figure when buzz was near its peak. Neither of those has happened, and they have no one to blame but themselves.

The Belloq with Environment is nice and all, but 2 announced figures and 1 environment with none released after more than a full year = FAIL.

I am pissed about the Belloq exclusive, I thought the environment was going to be a separate piece like the holochess table. But maybe the Chicken Little in me thinks they are tryong to get it out before the line gets shut down so they threw it in with Belloq? I don't know what the hold up is with the Indy line, with LOTR supposedly due to the fact that they have clothing issues/layers that delay the figures but Indy should be easier. Here's hoping we're wrong IJ.

Trust me, I'd love nothing more than to be wrong about this and to have Sideshow shut me up with some surprising and exciting new announcements (and actually shipping Indy in November). But I clearly won't be holding my breath at this point.

If we get confirmation that this line is dead, I will cancel Belloq. Indy can stand alone on a shelf being an iconic film character. But with Belloq added to the display, it makes you think there should be more.

Nope, confirmation would be no new announced figures after Belloq's virtually sold out after shipping. As has been said, it's not in your best interest trying to move excess inventory if you announce that the item(s) are part of a dead line.

Back