12" Indy In Adventure Gear: Raiders Version Discussion Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got my Indy coming and will make my professor jones figure with the extra head. I gave the ex belloq the axe but will probably get him later to make a the idol scene with Indy.

The thing is that I'm a fairly big Indy fan....not as much as some here but fairly big. I would not have gone with Belloq as the second release...makes sense from ROTA but not in the grand scheme of things. So one would have to assume that there were fairly extensive depths. Now...the question is whether or not it was an LOTR issue where the costuming and such were much more complicated then originally thought and therefore delayed and ultimately may have killed line...or whether this was a case where the figures sold but not as well as hoped or needed or if the reality is that Sideshow is just spread much too thin at this point and Indy is getting neglected because of his complexities.

I can't see it being a clothing layers or complexity problem - Toht, Henry Snr, both really just men in suits and countless companies have done this without great problems recently (Medicom actually with Henry himself). Mola Ram's costume was basically a long strip of fabric, black on one side and red on the other - sure that might take a little to work out exactly how to dress him, but once you know it should just be a matter of adding some snaps and the assembly should take care of itself - the thickness of the fabric I can't see as an issue either - Hot Toys were able to make a fully lined cape for their Batman and it wasn't too thick. If it was the Grail Knight we were waiting on, then sure, maybe the costume had something to do with it, but there are plenty of characters where the existing costume "technology" should be more than good enough to produce them. And if Sideshow aren't as advanced as Hot Toys or Medicom in the fabrics department, well again they have no one to blame but themselves.

I apologize if I only ever seem to criticize Sideshow, but the Indy line is/will be the first thing that I have bought from them, so I don't have the depth of experience that a lot of you guys do where you've experienced a good line. Instead I saw a great head sculpt and got excited, saw the paint job drastically reduce the likeness, have had the release date delayed on me, and been given no other chances to send them my money for other figures (they probably could have got me to buy visually uninteresting Belloq if they'd only announced it earlier before I was convinced the line was dead in the water). Contrast that with Hot Toys, and in the space of about two months I've ordered five of their figures (four of them from the same property) and received two already. I guess I can thank Sideshow for getting me interested in sixth scale stuff, but I doubt they'll keep me as a customer beyond this one Indy figure - I have zero interest in any of the other lines they carry, except for some that are produced by other companies and just distributed by SS. It's likely even that I will cancel Indy when I see the production paint job. I don't want to be waiting for another six months for my figure because I had to send it off to someone to paint it in a way that the likeness is true to Harrison Ford.

Rant over - I now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

...the Indy line is/will be the first thing that I have bought from them, so I don't have the depth of experience that a lot of you guys do where you've experienced a good line. Instead I saw a great head sculpt and got excited, saw the paint job drastically reduce the likeness, have had the release date delayed on me...

"Instead"? There is no "instead", my friend. That's pretty much The Sideshow Experience. It's not isolated to Indy by any means.

Patience and tempered expectations. That's the key to being a satisfied Sideshow customer. Which, more often than not, I am.

I'm sure Indy will be worth the wait...and the more waiting...and the extra added wait...

Sideshow used to be much better at keeping the information rolling but at this rate its like a contest to see what they can move slower, Indy or LOTR.

"Instead"? There is no "instead", my friend. That's pretty much The Sideshow Experience. It's not isolated to Indy by any means.

Patience and tempered expectations. That's the key to being a satisfied Sideshow customer. Which, more often than not, I am.

I'm sure Indy will be worth the wait...and the more waiting...and the extra added wait...

I need patience to be satisfied? Damn, I was screwed from the start...I have nothing even remotely resembling patience in my system. As for tempered expectations, well I gotta say that's a crappy way to have to buy things - especially when coupled with this whole patience concept "Here's your product you'll have to wait ages for but know that it won't look like this when you get it anyway". That's why my experience with Hot Toys has been so good - the paint jobs are pretty damn awesome and they specifically don't paint the solicitation figure as well as they could because they want to show exactly what the consumer will get in hand. I admire that as a business practice.

I'm starting to give up hope on ever seeing the 1:1 INDY bust that was mentioned in the original license announcement, too. The Howard S. Studios one is looking more tempting each day.

I'm starting to give up hope on ever seeing the 1:1 INDY bust that was mentioned in the original license announcement, too. The Howard S. Studios one is looking more tempting each day.

Wouldn't SSC tentatively sell one done by Howard S. since they've done work with him before?

Wouldn't SSC tentatively sell one done by Howard S. since they've done work with him before?

They very well could. I have no idea if they've even commissioned anyone to sculpt a 1:1 bust for them yet. But even if Howard does do it I'm betting it will be all-new and not his current one (which is pretty darn good).

Don't forget we still haven't gotten the 1:1 Godfather that we saw in-progress pictures AND video of LAST year.

It's interesting to note how every active thread in this forum has the exact same discussion going on. Well, more sad than interesting, I guess as it's the only thing to talk about with this line right now.

You would think Sideshow would attempt some sort of damage control to convince people they were really on the ball... guess not.

You would think Sideshow would attempt some sort of damage control to convince people they were really on the ball... guess not.

The only damage control is to announce new figures... Honestly, as long as I get a kickass Indy I'll be happy. Sure I want more figures, but if I could only have one it'd be this figure.

Back