1/6 Hot Toys - MMS244 - Amazing Spider-Man 2 - Spider-Man Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Again, allocations for a particular figure are assigned before that figure ever reaches market. Including preorder. The distribution companies, in this case sideshow, have already order the total amount they will have, up front, on any figure before we the public know about it. Especially with this figure because it is an exclusive version to sideshow as well so they have to commit to a set amount before hot toys agrees to produce it. So if sideshow sold not even a single one, hot toys has already been paid. This would then effect future sales, as sideshow would then either stop doing exclusives and/or lower the amount the commit to in the future.

As for figures being bumped up, or back, that has nothing to do with a preorder. First, hot toys does not deal with, nor do they track, end customer sales. They do not sell direct. Even the secret base store is operated by a seperate entity. It's like a car dealer. Your local ford or range rover or BMW dealer has zero control over product development. Which is what design and quality control fall under. There are a ton of reasons why a product like a hot toys figure can move up or back in release. But the amount of preorders isn't it. That would be different IF the figure was only offered via preorder thru hot toys. An example of that would be how Mattel is doing the MOTUC line. And in that instance, to demonstrate how a line would function that relied on preorders, they require blind commitment to a 12 month sale, six months before the first figure release, and require that they hit a min number of "guaranteed" sales in advance.

Not every retailer that sells hot toys offers a preorder, and out of those that do not all require full payment up front.

1. Hot toys do sell direct via Toy Hunters (thats their own store, they dont ship though)

2. the SS exclusive is not 100% SS's exclusive as they share it with Toy Hunters... anyone collecting hot toys knows this...

3. you are simply wrong. Sideshow does not pay Hot toys upfront. they gather orders (from pre orders) and then place their order with hot toys. Just like how comic shops order from Diamond select... of course Hot toys has to commit to a certain amount before moving forward, but sideshow doesn't foot the bill 1+ years... Hot toys was around a couple years before SS even started distributing them.

You seem to have an impression that HT's is Sideshows factory or something. Hot Toys are their own company making a product just like Bandai... and Sideshow would be like Hobby link Japan. Distributors simply dont pay upfront costs for figure developments.

again this is not hasbro or mattel

Last edited:
I do not think sideshow fronts the bill. I never said they pay upfront either. But what I did say is that they agree to an amount they will order. A min amount. They can in the future order more, up to a certain cut off. So if not a single person preorder that figure it would not effect the amount sideshow agreed to, nor would it effect the amount hot toys produced. This is part of being a distributor. Sideshow is not the comic shop , as your analogy goes, it's diamond. And when they agreed to be a DiSTRUBUTOR, not just a retailer, they had to commit in advance, for a set period of time, to order a min amount of each figure (usuall 12-24 months the contract goes) up to a certain number that hot toys produces. And when they do things like an exclusive version they have to agree to a set amount in advance. Before hot toys ever agrees to produce it. So if there are zero preorders it does not make a bit of difference. On that figure. Depending on the language of the agreement/contract it may effect future orders. Like day the agreement says they have to order 2000 of each figure to maintain distribution rights, but because previous sales have been good they are ordering 2500 instead. If sales drop they may in the future only order 2000 again(the actual numbers I do not know and users those just as illustration).

As for them selling direct. Not the case. Yes there are outlets that sell "factory direct", but they are not the same as a direct sales model. They function the same as a factory store for other brands, like Mattel or Nike or dozens of other manufactors. Same as a car dealership. The factory controls the amount of product the store gets, the store does not control the amount the factory produces. If hot toys only sold in those two places things would be different.

And yes, hot toys was around before sideshow sold them. But they where not the same then as they are now. That part has zero to do with how things run now

And FYI, a comic shop often has to agree to order either a certain number of products/comics, or spend a certain amount of money or diamond will not do business with them. So yes, they do agree in advance to how much or how many they will order.

That is your best explained paragraph yet, I see what youre saying. however that is not how it is currently working. Sideshow used to order like that yes. but now what they do is take the preorders (the amount they receive in say a month long window) and add 5-10% and then submit their order. this is done because of past "dud" figures, Sideshow simply doesn't have storage space in their warehouse anymore. So by doing the preorder plus 5-10% they have them come in and go right out the door with a certain amount set aside for replacements and then waitlist conversions etc..

My apologies about thinking you were saying they pay upfront, I read that wrong

And Toy Hunters is hot toys, thats their private store they sell direct out of, It is not some separate company.

I just saw the movie on it's first preview night and loved it, but was disappointed this figure was ALREADY sold out. The note above says I can still pre-order the "regular edition". What exactly is the difference in what is sold out and the regular edition? And is the October date a firm release date from what we know right now?

I just saw the movie on it's first preview night and loved it, but was disappointed this figure was ALREADY sold out. The note above says I can still pre-order the "regular edition". What exactly is the difference in what is sold out and the regular edition? And is the October date a firm release date from what we know right now?

Reg is just as good. the ex comes with an extra cannister and a piece of cardboard

People of the internets, I have visiting hobby base, took a good long look (approximately 10 minutes) the employees were probably thinking I'm crazy. The material is not as vinyl as you thing, NOTHING like the medicom spider-man 3 ones, I own that one so I know. I would not worry about the red, I would worry about the seam at the top of the head and the interchangeable hands, the webbing between the thumb and the figures look very thin and fragile, i'd be worried if that breaks. Also, the hands are a different red than the suit, it's CHROMED for some reason, what the ****? Here are some pictures, I'll head back soon, i can do try to take different angles if you like. I hope my pics shed some light on the matter and dissolve any speculation or worries, it really does look amazing, I can't wait to get it.

Bottom left, look how thin the plastic is between the thumb and the fingers...yikes.

It's unfortunate that there seem to be so many issues with this figure so far. The hands have huge lines and a noticeable seam when attached. They're also a different color. The red on the suit is vinyl instead of cloth. The huge seam on his head.

I was so excited after seeing how the suit would look in the movie. This had the possibility of being THE definitive movie version of Spider-Man.

I'm really hoping these issues get corrected but as of now it looks too much like a cheap toy to me than it does a $200+ collectible.

This is just making me sad right now.

:monkey2

I have a reservation submission for the EX, but now I'm cancelling, this thread has brought to light the crapiness of this figure

If they fix the seam on the head, which I'm sure they will, then this figure is fine by me. I think the size of the body used is perfect, and the costume looks great. I wish they had just gone with regular hands, not sure why they changed. Really liked the movie, and I am excited to have this guy in the collection.

Does the first ASM Spiderman have that stitching on the head as well?

It does, but it's not nearly as noticeable. I actually never even noticed it on mine until I saw a comment in this thread the other day saying that the figure has it. It's practically invisible in my opinion.

It does, but it's not nearly as noticeable. I actually never even noticed it on mine until I saw a comment in this thread the other day saying that the figure has it. It's practically invisible in my opinion.

Yep if your gonna buy a spiderman HT, get the first one, and if you PO'd the new one, when you get it throw it in the trash

The hands look like they're covered in blood :horror

Im really hoping this is just a hastly thrown together prototype that they wanted to show just cause the movie is premireing, so they rushed it out and they are fully aware of how shty it looks. The real figure is still in development :pray:

Back