1/6 Hot Toys - MMS244 - Amazing Spider-Man 2 - Spider-Man Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Blue is the new Red

No way! Red is the new blue! I'm an artist, man! I worked at a coffee shop for 4 years! I could draw a stick figure when I was 2 months old! When I was in Kindergarten, I mixed every color together and INVENTED BROWN!

I know colors, man. So are you gonna admit you're wrong, or continue being a keyboard warrior running your mouth to someone you have no clue about?

38994-Thats-just-your-opinion-man-Bi-Z1aR.jpeg

We should probably all just be happy if this costume does get all snagged up taking it out of the box. Can you tell I'm bitter about the Adam West Batman suit?

The new costume is too dark! I know in the movie they changed the blue to a slightly darker blue, but on the HT figure it's like navy, it's all wrong!

i like the blue on the last suit as well and as a matter of fact, i like the red on the last suit better too

Personally, I think the pre-order is only a gauge for the retailer...IE SS, BBTS etc. Gives them an idea of what kinda of stock they may need for a fig or line. Obviously, that pre-order stock is limited because they run out. Possible they either only order so much of each, or HT limits their stock based on sales or who knows what. I would be HT uses overall pre-order sales as a gauge for the total production of a figure or line, but surely there is no way for them to be dead on. Some figs sit around for months and months. Some sell out in the same amount of time. There cannot be a set schedule ahead of time for them to know how many of a figure to produce, much less make alterations. They do it, but it must be a massive PITA. Otherwise they would go back and make more figures like Hawkeye and such that sell out fast, or tweaks to figures that sell slowly. Soul patch Wolverine, anyone? Supply and demand right? Nope. At some point they have to be beyond the stage of further production for one reason or another. Likely to change molds and shops for new figs, clothes and accessories.

As for accuracy. Its never perfect. I love Spidey but cant bite on either Amazing fig. Just not feeling the suit texture and material. They look great but for my personal taste my Spider-Man 3 is still my go to fig. In the end you have to go with what feels right. It sucks when it is off, but it is what it is. There are simply too many of us that have different views of what it should look like. There is no way to please us all. Mod what you can. Pass on what you cant, and most of all...hope for a product tweak.

If not, wait for the next movie. I hate waiting, but what can you do?

Btw, Lipsmack, you are always entertaining man. Lol. I dig it.

Where do I even start... Good for you.. :dunno

and whats with Marines having to bring up the fact that their marines on a message board..?

Im not American, I dont give a **** what your jobs are or have been... Ive never once mentioned on here what my job is (mainly cause I dont need a crutch to win an argument or seem like I have credentials to reinforce my opinion).

and your comment simply proves that you have no idea what youre talking about

What's with marines bring up who we are...it's pride. It's not a job. And the only reason I brought any of that up is because you made snarky comments about my lack of understanding and me "being a kid" like I had either no life experience or no educational experience. So I wanted to clear that up real fast. As for you not being American, to bad for you, but it doesn't matter. I lived in multiple countries and was deployed or stationed in many as well. My family also lives outside the USA as I'm second generation born here.

As for my lack of understanding...I'm not the one getting the facts wrong. The preorders the end customer places are not tracked by hot toys. If you place a preorder at you local comic/figure shop they don't in turn tell hot toys. Sideshow, the single largest distributer of Hot Toys product does not tell Hot Toys how many people have preorder an individual figure. The way it works, since you seem to not know and are making assumptions about how it works..

Hot toys deciedes in advance how many of a figure they will produce. Based mostly on market research, projected interest, focus groups, and previous performance. The amount they produce is not effected by presales. In fact once a figure is shown to the public the tooling is done and is to cost prohibitive to changes. Not always the case, but generally. Any change made usually takes 8-12 months, as that is usually the lead time on production.

Once hot toys makes the choice as to how many it will produce it tells the distribution companies and they divide up the their allocations. So a place like sideshow knows they will have X amount of a figure before the figure is ever announced. Again, they have already placed their orders with Hot toys. As have all the other distributors. So sideshow then tells the retail outlets they supply about the figure and those places place orders with sideshow. Sideshow will have set aside a set amount into seperate product skus or pools. A set amount allocated for distribution to retailers. A set amount for quality control incase of damage or issues. A set amount set aside for preorders. A set amount set aside for day of sales( live sales). So again, it wouldn't matter to hot toys if sideshow or anyone else got a single preorder. It may raise some questions, but it effects nothing with that figure . All figures being produced are already pre-sold/pre-allocated to the distribution network.

Now if a figure was offered for preorder and no one bought it it would potentially have an effect on future figures. Depending on why no one preordered. But if no one preordered and the figure still sold well with live sales then it wouldn't do much. The only thing that would effect hot toys direct would be if a figure sold so poorly , and not in presale but after actual live release, that the distribution network lowered their orders for future figures.

The preorder sales, and any sale really, has ZERO effect on how that figure is made, but especially when speaking about quality control, which what lipsticks comment stated. Which is where this discussion started. His statement that if buyers "stopped deluting themselves" and boycotted a figured preorder that that action would somehow get hot toys to alter that figure. And that is not how it works.

As for me needing some crutch to make my point...reread my comments. The first couple I didn't say anything about lipwhole or anything about myself only talked about the issue. Until he twice made personal comments toward myself. Wasn't till after the "kid" comment that I said anything about myself. I figured if he was talking about me personally made I personally should set that straight. So if I needed a crutch...all I did was toast lippy and take his crutch from him.

If you say I'm wrong again, which I'm not, but I can tell your not gonna admitt the truth, instead of keyboard ninja talking and "I'm right cuz I said" tell me how you "think" the supply chain actually works and how a few people not placing a preorder brings about change of design on that specific figure. I'm dropping the mic and walking back cross 8 mile..

You are completely right....

If we're talking about hasbro... who need to wait or bid on spots in factories

Hot toys however has a lot more leeway when it comes to production as they produce all of the stuff themselves (I think they outsource a factory to make the base bodies/hands and cast the heads) but assembly paint etc is all done by HT's and their workers so they can make improvements without much headache. Im not disagreeing with you that the production number is a certain set ball park figure. I am saying that if they solicited pre orders and the pre order numbers were low then it would cause them to take a look at why and see that some minor changes could help sales.

Sideshow no longer warehouses excess Hot toys product like they used to. SS takes pre order number (say 1000 for arguments sake) then they will place an order with HT's for 1050 (for replacements and possible wait lists). Where as back in the day they may have ordered 1500 to 2000 and got stuck with too many (like angelica or last stand wolvie). So what Im saying it that taking your example that HT's is making 7000 and SS usually orders 2000-3000 but this time only ordered 525 then they would take a serious look at that... especially because HT's dont have the space to store un ordered figures...

As for the Marines thing, I just find it weird and laughable that no one else on here ever brags about their jobs or careers except for marines... I know guys from the military who would never mention it unless it was necessary and appropriate, yet Marines seem to love to flaunt the fact theyre marines (especially in an argument where theyve been offended). It's like you guys think in saying youre marines you are automatically entitled to some level of respect where your win an argument by default...

Last edited:
Im also trying to read back to what has been exchanged between us... You stated that Preorders do nothing to effect HT's bottom line... and then you said that they set an amount to be produced before preorders even go up... so taking that (which I can agree with) would a low order form SS not effect HT's bottom line..? I mean if we boycott a fig (spidey) by not pre ordering with SS, then SS doesn't order much from HT's... yet HT's has already produced a set number that now dont get ordered how does that not effect their bottom line..?

So having watched the movie, what do you think of the accessories? Redundant much?

to my understanding, how HT works(and how most production works) is for example, figure A is announced, HT already has a rough number on how many figures it's gonna produce, the preorder budget then goes to R&D for figure B and the actually production of figure A. (they may then add or subtract the quantities at that stage) That's why sometimes you see figures jump their release schedule a few months ahead, it's most probably the preorder sales was great for a different/previous figure, and not the actual figure itself.

In Hong Kong, when you go up to Toys hunter or Secret Base, you might still see some figures up for preorder that's been up for a while (2 weeks ago, Iron Man Ignor was still up for preorder)While some close the preorder quite soon(avengers black widow closed in a week)

Does preorder affect the quality of the figure? yes, since most figure has to go through some sort of handling procedure, the amount definiately affects the quality.

So having seen the movie, the exclusive items are kinda meh; I feel like they're just throw ins and we could've had much better exclusives. However, I am really hoping that they fix the suit because this was definitely a fantastic movie and I think finally nailed Spider Man. I really want a Spidey for my collection, and after seeing the movie, this is the version I want.

After seeing the film I'm really excited for this figure. I do agree though The accessories are kind of a thrown in thing but at least we are getting more in this package deal than the previous version. Sure most of what he comes with it's in for a split second but still it's something to have.

I'm sure most of us wouldn't mind if HT include none of those beanie nonsense in exchange for a recycled HS from the first release. Seriously what's up? And don't get me started on Rhino

Just saw the movie and I'm glad I put the EX on PO. Still want them to improve the material and the webbing on the hands. The suit looked so awesome in the movie and this figure should match. Anything less would be a shame.

Good movie, much better than the first.

Personally, I think the pre-order is only a gauge for the retailer...IE SS, BBTS etc. Gives them an idea of what kinda of stock they may need for a fig or line. Obviously, that pre-order stock is limited because they run out. Possible they either only order so much of each, or HT limits their stock based on sales or who knows what. I would be HT uses overall pre-order sales as a gauge for the total production of a figure or line, but surely there is no way for them to be dead on. Some figs sit around for months and months. Some sell out in the same amount of time. There cannot be a set schedule ahead of time for them to know how many of a figure to produce, much less make alterations. They do it, but it must be a massive PITA. Otherwise they would go back and make more figures like Hawkeye and such that sell out fast, or tweaks to figures that sell slowly. Soul patch Wolverine, anyone? Supply and demand right? Nope. At some point they have to be beyond the stage of further production for one reason or another. Likely to change molds and shops for new figs, clothes and accessories.

As for accuracy. Its never perfect. I love Spidey but cant bite on either Amazing fig. Just not feeling the suit texture and material. They look great but for my personal taste my Spider-Man 3 is still my go to fig. In the end you have to go with what feels right. It sucks when it is off, but it is what it is. There are simply too many of us that have different views of what it should look like. There is no way to please us all. Mod what you can. Pass on what you cant, and most of all...hope for a product tweak.

If not, wait for the next movie. I hate waiting, but what can you do?

Btw, Lipsmack, you are always entertaining man. Lol. I dig it.

Sorry man, I read right over this. My apologies.

I agree with everything you said, it is a gauge for retailers, which they then use to place an order with Hot Toys :lol

And like the kid said, HT's sets a number before preorders go up and the retailers dont order that many then whose left with the difference..? Hot Toys... and retailers only pay for what they order so HT's would obviously loose money..

And thank you :D

Again, allocations for a particular figure are assigned before that figure ever reaches market. Including preorder. The distribution companies, in this case sideshow, have already order the total amount they will have, up front, on any figure before we the public know about it. Especially with this figure because it has also an exclusive version to sideshow as well so they have to commit to a set amount before hot toys agrees to produce it. So if sideshow sold not even a single one, hot toys has already been paid. This would then effect future sales, as sideshow would then either stop doing exclusives and/or lower the amount the commit to in the future.

As for figures being bumped up, or back, that has nothing to do with a preorder. First, hot toys does not deal with, nor do they track, end customer sales. They do not sell direct. Even the secret base store is operated by a seperate entity. It's like a car dealer. Your local ford or range rover or BMW dealer has zero control over product development. Which is what design and quality control fall under. There are a ton of reasons why a product like a hot toys figure can move up or back in release. But the amount of preorders isn't it. That would be different IF the figure was only offered via preorder thru hot toys. An example of that would be how Mattel is doing the MOTUC line. And in that instance, to demonstrate how a line would function that relied on preorders, they require blind commitment to a 12 month sale, six months before the first figure release, and require that they hit a min number of "guaranteed" sales in advance.

Not every retailer that sells hot toys offers a preorder, and out of those that do not all require full payment up front.

Back