1/6 Hot Toys - MMS 306 - Avengers: AoU - Thor Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you'll rarely have the rubber issue if you NEVER pose the figure.....but factually,rubber dries and cracks over time..the more stress,the more chance of cracking the rubber....1/6 scale figures are meant to be posed.As a "static" figure,ALL the rubber arms look good

plastic doesn't dry out like rubber does

Again it's funny how someone lumps random facts and ideas into a big lump and then it's fact.

Your statement that "rubber" drys out is both true and false. It depends on additives, the blend, the treatment (like say vulcanized) and so on. And despite the name people use, the arms of these figures are not full rubber. They are a synthetic blend.

Some blends or rubber based materials have a 1-5 year shelf life for optimal use. Some a 5-10. Some have an unlimited, as in no one knows how long it lasts beciase since its discovery it's never deteriorated.

Hot toys has ever released the name of the materials used in the arms so you can't be sure what the shelf life is. But I do know it's not a full rubber material. It's in fact a synthetic polymer. It's more like vinyl or plastic or latex then rubber. It will no more dry out then the plastic arms. If left in the same environment. I can recommend a book on a study of rubber and synthetic polymers that was published just so manufactures know the estimated shelf life for products. It states that 95% of all rubber or synth poly products have an unlimited shelf life and are expected to last hundreds of years.

As for your assertion that plastic does not dry out...again..no scientific basis. Plastic can and does dry out. I've seen you in the motu sections. I'm sure you are aware of the plastic becoming brittle and cracked on some 80s motu figures. Guess what that is from? Plastic drying out.

Statistically and scientifically rubber and vinyl and plastic have the same shelf life properties.

Yes there are limitations to the amount it will stretch, which is why the movement and articulation is limited. But it's not gone. My figures with rubber arms are in as many dynamic poses as my plastic figures. And if you exceed the designed articulation of plastic it will break just the same.

The discusion was not about(at least what I commented on) the articulation of a figure..it was based on the deterioration and myth of rubber being some fragile material. It's not. Yes there are cases of issues. But there are as many or more cases of broken plastic as well.

Quoting four articles about bad rubber does squat to change it. Stop using someone else's cases of repeated issues and let us know about your own issues. As I said most of the posts about rubber issues are second, third forth hand re tellings and based on the same 20-30 cases. There is a thread here where i asked about this issue and like two people had issues of their own but everyone "heard" of the issues. And there are nearly a hundred cases of figures without issue. That's a small percentage. And I bet if you got the same info about plastic figures the "failure" rate and QC issues would be around the same ratio.

Again it's funny how someone lumps random facts and ideas into a big lump and then it's fact.

Your statement that "rubber" drys out is both true and false. It depends on additives, the blend, the treatment (like say vulcanized) and so on. And despite the name people use, the arms of these figures are not full rubber. They are a synthetic blend.

Some blends or rubber based materials have a 1-5 year shelf life for optimal use. Some a 5-10. Some have an unlimited, as in no one knows how long it lasts beciase since its discovery it's never deteriorated.

Hot toys has ever released the name of the materials used in the arms so you can't be sure what the shelf life is. But I do know it's not a full rubber material. It's in fact a synthetic polymer. It's more like vinyl or plastic or latex then rubber. It will no more dry out then the plastic arms. If left in the same environment. I can recommend a book on a study of rubber and synthetic polymers that was published just so manufactures know the estimated shelf life for products. It states that 95% of all rubber or synth poly products have an unlimited shelf life and are expected to last hundreds of years.

As for your assertion that plastic does not dry out...again..no scientific basis. Plastic can and does dry out. I've seen you in the motu sections. I'm sure you are aware of the plastic becoming brittle and cracked on some 80s motu figures. Guess what that is from? Plastic drying out.

Statistically and scientifically rubber and vinyl and plastic have the same shelf life properties.

Yes there are limitations to the amount it will stretch, which is why the movement and articulation is limited. But it's not gone. My figures with rubber arms are in as many dynamic poses as my plastic figures. And if you exceed the designed articulation of plastic it will break just the same.

The discusion was not about(at least what I commented on) the articulation of a figure..it was based on the deterioration and myth of rubber being some fragile material. It's not. Yes there are cases of issues. But there are as many or more cases of broken plastic as well.

Quoting four articles about bad rubber does squat to change it. Stop using someone else's cases of repeated issues and let us know about your own issues. As I said most of the posts about rubber issues are second, third forth hand re tellings and based on the same 20-30 cases. There is a thread here where i asked about this issue and like two people had issues of their own but everyone "heard" of the issues. And there are nearly a hundred cases of figures without issue. That's a small percentage. And I bet if you got the same info about plastic figures the "failure" rate and QC issues would be around the same ratio.

:rolleyes2

so pay no attention to this post then with actual examples of HT rubber failing

This. Rubber has been notorious for being a disaster and he's been shown that last time this topic came up when he made this thread:

Damaged rubber hot toys figures

Here's more rubber rot fun time stories:

Official HT Rubber Issues List (4/9/12 update)

Hot Toys rubber deterioration

https://https://www.sideshowcollectors...er+thread+Toys

Hot toys Batman Begins Toyfair exclusive Damage Report!

Rubber has a history of being a problem regardless if people want to sweep it under the rug b/c it hasn't happened to their dollies yet, and add Gamora to that list.

[video]https://media.photobucket.com/user/wonkalumps/media/Revenge%20of%20the%20Nerds/137487b9de32fdb4.gif.html?filters[term]=revenge%20of%20the%20nerds&filters[primary]=images&filters[secondary]=videos&sort=1&o=15[/video]

Last edited:
The rubber arms are a deal breaker for me. There is nothing wrong with joints Hot Toys! I hardly notice them on my MMS220 Wolverine and he still manages to look awesome on display. The new head sculpt sucks too. I don't see much Hemsworth Thor there except for the hair. It looks more like Paul Walker.

Last edited:
I'm glad I picked up TDK Thor when it was on sale. Personally, I think its a superior sculpt when compared to AoU Thor.

11200614_984250001606673_8696451936984639306_n.jpg

eh?????

PS found it somewhere else.

Back