Welcome to CollectorFreaks.com! Register today to gain full access to the forums. Registration is quick and easy!
Advanced Search
Sideshow Freaks
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Default Re: The Figure You Paid Too Much For Because You Wanted It Desperately

I can’t even remember it’s all a blur to be honest. I can say it was quit a few figures in the past and the funny thing is I sold them from change of interests or getting replaced by new versions. But it did make start giving myself rules on what to buy, to not over spend and to learn to be smarter with collecting sooo I learned from my mistakes and try really hard not to get sucked into hype... okay after typing this I remember a figure I currently own. Hot toys mark 1 warmachine diecast!! I got it for $45 over retail!! That was probably a month before the hype hit and it sold out and shot up to $700++

Hot Toys Batman Begins. I preferred that Bale headsculpt to the later one & paid about $400 for him, broken foot peg and all. And I have a feeling that the first Mech Suit Tony might be the next on this list.

Super Freak
    Feedback
    9 (100%)
    I dunno if it counts but I commissioned a Ray Manzarek from the doors as he's a grail piece.

Otherwise Dorthy from Wizard of Oz.

Super Freak
    Feedback
    You know, putting aside custom pieces and repaints based costs, I've just realized that I don't think I've paid much over retail for anything in my collection, surprisingly enough, and I've been collecting since the 90's. There have been a couple of times where I have been willing to go higher than original retail by a decent amount, but it still wasn't enough to secure the pieces in question, so I simply let them go. I'll either find them later for a price I'm comfortable with, or not at all. But that's okay, I don't have to own everything I like.

Keep in mind I'm not trying to sound superior, I'm not judging anybody that does pay inflated aftermarket prices, and I'm not fundamentally opposed to doing so, if it is something you truly want and you have the money to treat yourself with then go for it, but I guess I know myself pretty well, and I've just got a good handle on exactly what I'm actually truly interested in owning long term, and on the odd occasion where I do miss, my webfu is strong enough to usually still find one somewhere for retail, or if I can't, I'm patient enough to wait for what I consider to be a fair price, even if it takes months, or in a couple of cases years, until an opportunity pops up, which it almost always does. I'm plenty patient, self aware as far as my tastes and collection goes, don't buy into hype or the old 'keeping up with the jones' mentality, and collect for my own pleasure, not for anybody elses, so I think that has helped keep me grounded and realistic as far as what I buy and what i'll pay.

But that's just me. Everyone has their own journey, their own priorities and situations, so as long as it works for you and keeps you happy that's all that matters, really. To each their own, as they say.
    I am not a post number. I am a free man!

The Hot Toys Avengers Nick Fury, at the time I really wanted it and just couldn't find him anywhere, one day I went into a shop which had him for £249.99 so I got it as I didn't think there would be another version!

Had I known I'd have waited for The Winter Soldier version which would have been cheaper - wonderful thing hindsight! Still that was during the 'early days' of my Hot Toys collecting and I've learnt a lot since then!

Super Freak
    Feedback
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    You know, putting aside custom pieces and repaints based costs, I've just realized that I don't think I've paid much over retail for anything in my collection, surprisingly enough, and I've been collecting since the 90's. There have been a couple of times where I have been willing to go higher than original retail by a decent amount, but it still wasn't enough to secure the pieces in question, so I simply let them go. I'll either find them later for a price I'm comfortable with, or not at all. But that's okay, I don't have to own everything I like.

Keep in mind I'm not trying to sound superior, I'm not judging anybody that does pay inflated aftermarket prices, and I'm not fundamentally opposed to doing so, if it is something you truly want and you have the money to treat yourself with then go for it, but I guess I know myself pretty well, and I've just got a good handle on exactly what I'm actually truly interested in owning long term, and on the odd occasion where I do miss, my webfu is strong enough to usually still find one somewhere for retail, or if I can't, I'm patient enough to wait for what I consider to be a fair price, even if it takes months, or in a couple of cases years, until an opportunity pops up, which it almost always does. I'm plenty patient, self aware as far as my tastes and collection goes, don't buy into hype or the old 'keeping up with the jones' mentality, and collect for my own pleasure, not for anybody elses, so I think that has helped keep me grounded and realistic as far as what I buy and what i'll pay.

But that's just me. Everyone has their own journey, their own priorities and situations, so as long as it works for you and keeps you happy that's all that matters, really. To each their own, as they say.
    Yeah I say this all the time. I have managed to get alot of very sought after figures for at or close to retail.

The only two that will probably never be at retail (unless there is a newer version):

Bespin Luke
    Don Corleone

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....
    Long live the King
    Hidden Content

Freakazoid

Feedback
    2 (100%)
    A few years ago I paid through the nose for the Iminime Bride and separately O-ren (Lucy Liu sculpt imo is a solid 9!)

Still love the figures!!
    Last edited by James426; 09-22-2018 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BagginsOfBagEnd View Post
    The Hot Toys Avengers Nick Fury, at the time I really wanted it and just couldn't find him anywhere, one day I went into a shop which had him for £249.99 so I got it as I didn't think there would be another version!

Had I known I'd have waited for The Winter Soldier version which would have been cheaper - wonderful thing hindsight! Still that was during the 'early days' of my Hot Toys collecting and I've learnt a lot since then!
    I saw a Nick Fury go for abour £115 on eBay last month or something. Really is a punch to the face when something like that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by The Brown Knight View Post
    I saw a Nick Fury go for abour £115 on eBay last month or something. Really is a punch to the face when something like that happens.
    It sure is - especially when you see deals like that! Still I like to think that I am a bit more 'collector savvy' than I was back then, I try not to pay over the odds for any of my figures now.

Super Freak
    Feedback
    Hot Toys DX12 Batman

Maybe the T2 Terminator mms117? I honestly can’t remember what I paid for it. I know it wasn’t cheap, but it was cheaper than trying to get the DX that had been out a while.
    "At last, we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi. At last, we will have revenge."