Figures you regret selling

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Transformers
M.A.S.K
Centurions
Action Force (GI Joe)
Turtles
Visionaries
Starcom
Dino Riders

Sl2O8fe.gif

Hot toys ROTS Anakin- Sold if for $180 because I broke the mechanical arm and it was still widely available at retail. I wanted to buy the dark side version as that was available for like a year. Then when I got around to wanting to buy the dark side version it sold out and now….I cry every time I see either figure in anyone’s collection 🤣
BVS Batman (regular suit)- I had 2 of them, one I bought from popcultcha that took a month to arrive (I bought it a week before thanksgiving, and big holidays always screw up shipping) so before that arrived I bought one from eBay, and they both arrived within a few days of each other. One of them sat in a box under my bed for 2 years until I decided to try selling on eBay, and that was the first figure I sold. I regret it because my current BVS Batman is starting to fall apart from extreme poses I’ve done over the last 7 years of owning it, so it woood have been nice to have a new in box version.
Battle Damaged Robocop- bought it on eBay in 2019 for $250, when it was still going for double that. Granted it sold it for $500 and that helped pay half of a prime 1 statue, so I really needed that money, but it was such a great figure that I do kinda regret selling it, I should have just used money from my savings account instead 🤣

Thankfully out of the 50 or so figures I’ve sold in the last few year those are the only 3 I regret selling. Of course if I stopped buying $1,500 statues I could easily buy these 3 back, but eh, why bother 🤣

I almost never regret selling a figure. It’s so often that they just don’t have a place in the collection anymore.

Having said that, I absolutely regret selling my Hot Toys 89 Joker and SX06 Captain Jack Sparrow!

I almost never regret selling a figure. It’s so often that they just don’t have a place in the collection anymore.

Having said that, I absolutely regret selling my Hot Toys 89 Joker and SX06 Captain Jack Sparrow!
Yeah its usually a sigh of relief when the fig is out of the collection and there is more room for the other figs to breath. :lol

My enemy was space or lack of it, I got to the point of simply having no room to display my figs, thats why the last two years I have been thinning out the collection, probably sold on about 40-50 figures in the last two years and Im still struggling for space, thats how out of control it got, I probably had about 250 figs at my peak, which is not too bad but when you factor in the boxes. :horror

Had a neighbor, around my age, in his garage was the MASK Boulder Hill Playset. I remember when I saw it on the topmost shelf stuffed in a corner of his garage.

"Dude, is that Boulder Hill?"

"It's awesome. If I die, I'll leave it for you in my will. But as long as I'm alive, you'll need to pry it from my dead hands!"

My buddy died in his sleep about a decade later. From an aneurysm. Really loved him. Great person. Good friend. We took it down once, when I had to help him with his car once. We couldn't find the actual boulder. We argued over it we could use something else to simulate the big rock instead. And that the color scheme would be impossible to match. He also observed how hard it is to make a living owning a gas station.

I didn't inherit it. His uncle threw out nearly all his stuff the day after he passed. Not that it was the biggest thing on my mind. Would give a million Boulder Hills to have him back again. Even just for a day.

Stuff from your childhood just hits different. I remember when Thundercats first came out, and I found a broken Sword Of Omens in the school playground in the dirt. The top third of the blade was broken off. I ran home and carefully carved down part of the remaining tip to make a new sword. I never got new toys, so that was a huge deal back then. I made a sheath for it with aluminum foil. Even though I was poor and didn't have the cool toys, nothing can replicate that kind of excitement.

Things from your childhood are like a time machine. People from your childhood resonate in a safer and less complex way when you talk and laugh. Getting older is about managing the expectations built around personal loss. That's what I've discovered. No wonder nostalgia is so impactful. Anything without obligation is always powerful.

So inspiration for the thread. Any figures you’ve parted ways with that you wish you hadn’t?

I bought the Trimaran from Waterworld at a KayBee toy store. It had those stickers that were pre-printed, but looked like someone took a red pen and crossed out the original MSRP and put on a different lower price. It was 9.99 plus tax. Waterworld toys sold horribly. I remember KayBee was stuffed full of them. But the Trimaran only had a very limited availability window compared to the carded figures and other vehicles. They sold fast IIRC.

I brought it home, built it, messed with it for a week or so, realized how big it was, decided against the overall footprint, then repacked it and returned it. Have always regretted doing that. It was a really innovative toy for the early 90s. So it was pretty rudimentary, but the customizing potential was off the charts. If HasLab remade something like this, I might be all over it ( not that they have the license or anything)

I guess I could rebuy it now, but the shipping cost would likely make it a budget buster for a purely nostalgia item.

Had a neighbor, around my age, in his garage was the MASK Boulder Hill Playset. I remember when I saw it on the topmost shelf stuffed in a corner of his garage.

"Dude, is that Boulder Hill?"

"It's awesome. If I die, I'll leave it for you in my will. But as long as I'm alive, you'll need to pry it from my dead hands!"

My buddy died in his sleep about a decade later. From an aneurysm. Really loved him. Great person. Good friend. We took it down once, when I had to help him with his car once. We couldn't find the actual boulder. We argued over it we could use something else to simulate the big rock instead. And that the color scheme would be impossible to match. He also observed how hard it is to make a living owning a gas station.

I didn't inherit it. His uncle threw out nearly all his stuff the day after he passed. Not that it was the biggest thing on my mind. Would give a million Boulder Hills to have him back again. Even just for a day.

Stuff from your childhood just hits different. I remember when Thundercats first came out, and I found a broken Sword Of Omens in the school playground in the dirt. The top third of the blade was broken off. I ran home and carefully carved down part of the remaining tip to make a new sword. I never got new toys, so that was a huge deal back then. I made a sheath for it with aluminum foil. Even though I was poor and didn't have the cool toys, nothing can replicate that kind of excitement.

Things from your childhood are like a time machine. People from your childhood resonate in a safer and less complex way when you talk and laugh. Getting older is about managing the expectations built around personal loss. That's what I've discovered. No wonder nostalgia is so impactful. Anything without obligation is always powerful.

Oh man, that is heart breaking, so sorry for your loss :(

I remember playing for weeks with my brothers Boulder Hill, I have no issue with saying we were massively lucky as children & had pretty big collections back then

Fully agree on the nostalgia side of things, it's where I go to most days to escape the reality & things of the day, I struggle a lot mentally with things getting to me very easily at the moment so I tend to dip back into "What would I have been doing in the 80's/90's" when things were happier & easier & it normally gets me by lol
Honestly though looking back at the things we did/had & the times we enjoyed are what really makes me happy & while I might not have the yoy now I still have so many amazing memories of the times I spent with them...like you & that awesome TCats story, along with the Boulder Hill that you will never ever forget but they are what tie us to the best memories.

Maybe one day we'll all get lucky & find that long forgotten toy shop down some random side street that still has a stock room full of all the classics that they will off load for original prices lol

Until then though I'll reminisce every single day :)

Neil

Back