Big Chief Studios - 1/6 Doctor Who - #10 David Tennant

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Should be fun to have a 1:6 9th Doctor up there on the shelf. A self portrait, as I'm always being asked about MY time as Doctor Who. I've still got students who don't believe me that it wasn't me.. Haha!!
Anyways, I got a bit concerned at the first post sounding like they would only do NuWho. Glad it was just a misreading. A full set of all the Doctors is so what I want. It's a bit if a shame that they are stopping off for a second 11 (I will buy it of course) but understandable, as it sold so well first time around .
Here's to the preorder of the First , bring it on.

I think we all have concerns if they stopped Classic Who altogether, though I am thinking they are going to focusing on NuWho. I take it from their quote that they are going to focus on NuWho, but will do classic figures here and there. Maybe a 1:4 ratio of Classic Doctor Who to NuWho. Currently, there are three NuWho (4 if ya count the 50th Tennant figure) and one Classic Who figures out. As of their announced figures, they have a Weepeing Angel, a season 7 11, another 10 (due to the previous figure selling out), a ninth and a first Doctor. That's five NuWho to 1 Classics. If they continue this rate, I am fine with it, though I think they would end up doing all the popular NuWho figures once they get to their 5th Classic Doctor release. ah. I at least want to see them do Colin Baker, Sy McCoy, Peter Davidson, and Paul McGann since they are the more obscure Doctors - three of which are even obscure when it comes to customizers/kitbashers. However, the 8th Doctor is gaining popularity because of his audio adventures and his recent appearance in the 50th minisode.

As for the 11th Doctor, I didn't get the impression he sold that well since he was even discounted at the BC site and every online store that carried him. He was also mass release so i don't know. I think sells of him increased once news came out that the 11th Doctor was leaving the show - I remember how there were less auctions of him afterwards. Out of all the BC figures, I think tenth sold well and everyone else did not.

I think we all have concerns if they stopped Classic Who altogether, though I am thinking they are going to focusing on NuWho. I take it from their quote that they are going to focus on NuWho, but will do classic figures here and there. Maybe a 1:4 ratio of Classic Doctor Who to NuWho. Currently, there are three NuWho (4 if ya count the 50th Tennant figure) and one Classic Who figures out. As of their announced figures, they have a Weepeing Angel, a season 7 11, another 10 (due to the previous figure selling out), a ninth and a first Doctor. That's five NuWho to 1 Classics. If they continue this rate, I am fine with it, though I think they would end up doing all the popular NuWho figures once they get to their 5th Classic Doctor release. ah. I at least want to see them do Colin Baker, Sy McCoy, Peter Davidson, and Paul McGann since they are the more obscure Doctors - three of which are even obscure when it comes to customizers/kitbashers. However, the 8th Doctor is gaining popularity because of his audio adventures and his recent appearance in the 50th minisode.

As for the 11th Doctor, I didn't get the impression he sold that well since he was even discounted at the BC site and every online store that carried him. He was also mass release so i don't know. I think sells of him increased once news came out that the 11th Doctor was leaving the show - I remember how there were less auctions of him afterwards. Out of all the BC figures, I think tenth sold well and everyone else did not.

But they sold 2000 of 11 (plus signature editions?) - that's a massive amount, even if he was discounted.

As for NuWho succeeding versus Classic this will always be a painful issue for some fans, particularly completists which Doctor Who attracts like no other franchise. The thing is, collecting these figures isn't like collecting DVD's - they are so expensive that buying all twelve would be a massive investment for many fans so I'm guessing there won't be enough fans of classic Who to justify making them. No one would regret this more than me, particularly as I would do anything for a BCS Troughton figure, but that's part of the problem. If enough fans couldn't afford to buy all of them then they'd only buy their favourites, meaning each Doctor is only going to sell a small proportion of what it would need to. If Tom - the most popular Classic Doctor in one of his most recognisable outfits - can't sell out than why should the others do any better? (I do think though that there was a problem with the HS - it wasn't quite what it could have been and maybe a smiling sculpt, although less interesting, would have struck more of a chord).

So while fans of the Classics may tend to 'vote' for their favourite Doctor by buying him, pretty much the majority of fans love every NuWho Doctor, of which Tennant is the favourite, so NuWho figures will be a safer commercial bet. I would love a Hartnell figure but I already know something's got to give financially for me and it won't be Sherlock, any new Ten, or the Weeping Angel - it will be Hartnell and possibly the new Eleven.

I'd be happier with NuWho from BCS than No Who from BCS, but obviously I hope the Classic Doctors do continue, albeit at a reduced rate. And it's not like they're not fans - I think we can all see that if BCS can find a way to release all 12 Doctors they will. I'm sure they want them on their shelves as much as we do.

While it is true that the 11 was a large run, a few 1/6 stores still have the figure in stock, not to mention the low profit margins each unit would yield because of distributors like Diamond. Add in the discount (I heard that in order for figures to be clearances, toy companies have to buy back the figures; not sure if this applied to the BC 11 and Amy) BC probably didn't make money or took a loss. However, they are doing any 11th figure so he probably sold enough to make some money. Since it appears that he will have the same HS as the previous HS, it is probably a filler figure; they don't have to make molds of the head, sonic screw drivers, and the hands. I think the Amy figure and the multiple productions issues they had with the figure is the reason why the 1:6 line is now a BC website exclusive.

I agree with the statement about the Tom Baker fig as I too noticed it. You know there is a problem if the definitive Doctor is selling as slowly as Amy Pond. At the same token, he was pitted against the 10th Doctor. I am not sure if having two most popular Doctors released at the same time had hurt sells on the other. Then again, I am sure a lot of ppl of who bought Tennant are causal collectiors who just wanted a Tennant fig and be done with the line.

To be honest, I think what BC said about focusing on NuWho is them sugarcoating the statement that they would rarely make classic figures after Hartnell. I think Hartnell is being made to see if there is interest in the classics line. I can see them doing a voting poll; asking deposits before productions to see their is enough interest; or making a regeneration figure with one suit and two heads. This might work for a 6th to 7th Doctor figure. It is true that Baker is the most popular Doctor, but Hartnell is popular because he was the first. That alone would make some fans buy the figure. However, he would probably not sell as well as the Ninth simply most of the fans of the 1st are in their 50's and these figures are aimed towards NuWho fans, who are in their teens to 30s. In a nutshell, BC said similar statements regarding accessory packs, figures returning to retail, and companions; they are not going to focus on them, but they haven't written them out completely.

I want to see all of them being made as well, but the company does have to make money. They are clearly Who fans, but at the same token, they are a company. One of the problems with toy companies that cater to the fans who wants everything made, but won't commit is that they go down quickly. The SOTA Street Fighter line was all about pleasing to the fans so they listen to them in which figures to make. It got to the point where fans wanted the company to make background characters as toys (imagine ppl voting for guy dying by an Anton or cop in Doctor Who TV movie). However, the fans who voted didn't vote with their money. Imagine BC making a poll for the last 1/6 line to be made and the majority picked Perri because of her large breast or Leia because of her skimpy outfit. That is what essentially happened with the SF line. The result, no one really bought her. If classics end up being near death, I would like to see them using Kickstarter to get all the Doctorsl made. That way, the fans vote with their money and the company isn't taken advantage by the small, but vocal minority wfho wants the Fear Her little girl for instance.

How come Billie Piper refuses to give her likeness to be used?

A bit strange considering that Christopher Eccleston doesn't want to do Doctor Who Episodes yet has no quarrels of the BBC using his likeness for toys. Maybe he gave up his likeness for the show when he agreed to be the Ninth Doctor.

i too wonder why BC still wants to do companions after Amy Pond. Other than Rose, Sarah Jane is the only popular one. Perri Brown might be popular, but that is only because of her bust size

NuWho companions would sell well I'm sure. Rose is a bit boring, but River and Capt. Jack would be sure bets I'd think.

NuWho companions would sell well I'm sure. Rose is a bit boring, but River and Capt. Jack would be sure bets I'd think.

I think Jack would sale well since ppl are asking figures of him and he is the main star of Torchwood. Not so sure about River since not everyone liked her character. I can see them making members of the Paternoster Gang especially the two non-human characters since headsculpts of Madame Vastra and Strax can be recycled to be used for Silurian female soldier and Commander Skorr, respectively.

Rose Tyler is the most popular NuWho companion, but because Billie Piper doesn't want to lend her likeness for the character, she would probably not be made.
The funny thing about the line is that we wouldn't be sure who would sell well until they make them. A lot of ppl thought that Amy Pond would sell well since she was a favorite and was the current companion on Who. However, we now know how well her figure did. Like Baker, it could be that the toy's likeness wasn't so great. However, because of the Pond figure, Big Chief Studios isn't focused on making companions like they were before.

In my opinion, I think the companions that would sell well would be:

Captain Jack
Strax
River Song (maybe)
Rose Tyler

I think ppl are satisfied with the CO Martha Jones. As for Donna Noble, I don't know. Clara is a mix bag in regards to popularity.

I think that BC should steer well away from female companions.
Their first classic Doctor may now be reduced, but his signature edition sold out on presales . The edition will eventually sell.
In all honesty, only the Doctors are sure to sell. Any signature edition will sell out at preorder night for sure. As for the rest. BC should look at the timings of their 4th Doctor sales and determine an apropriate edition size based on say, sales over the first two months. Using that as a guide, they set the initial edition size for whichever Doctor they do.
Obviously, a current Doctor will do well (Capaldi) and anything Tennant as e was just so popular. I can see us getting the second edition of 11 in the Snowmen Victorian garb, and 10 in the blue suit. Each will sell out pretty quickly, and generate working capital.

thoughts on how a capt jack Torchwood fig would do, could be reg and signature ves by barrowman? nuwho-ish. .

Does anything in 1:6 sell out anymore right out the door? I can't think of any HT/SS figure that has been an immediate sell out since like 2008. :lol

Not sold out. Technically. I honestly don't recall it selling out in a day either.

Checking Inventory
We are currently verifying inventory for this item. Please check back later for current stock status.

In any case, I was being facetious to make a point. If a 1:6 figure sells out immediately upon release in this day and age, it's the exception to what has become to norm.

Their first classic Doctor may now be reduced, but his signature edition sold out on presales . The edition will eventually sell.
In all honesty, only the Doctors are sure to sell. Any signature edition will sell out at preorder night for sure. As for the rest. BC should look at the timings of their 4th Doctor sales and determine an apropriate edition size based on say, sales over the first two months. Using that as a guide, they set the initial edition size for whichever Doctor they do.
Obviously, a current Doctor will do well (Capaldi) and anything Tennant as e was just so popular. I can see us getting the second edition of 11 in the Snowmen Victorian garb, and 10 in the blue suit. Each will sell out pretty quickly, and generate working capital.

I agree with all of that except that I think Rose would sell if the portrait was a good one. The Ninth Doctor and Rose would go together well, as well as Sherlock and Watson. She's the most iconic Nu Who companion and they need to do something with that female body they developed. Beyond Rose however, I agree they should leave female companions alone.

I never thought of the new 11 being snowmen Victorian dress but I would LOVE that as long as he had a big hat.

The elephant in the room for BCS is daleks, the one surefire seller we haven't had yet or heard anything about. I'd also like to hear about the possibility of a NuWho Tardis.

I agree with all of that except that I think Rose would sell if the portrait was a good one. The Ninth Doctor and Rose would go together well, as well as Sherlock and Watson. She's the most iconic Nu Who companion and they need to do something with that female body they developed. Beyond Rose however, I agree they should leave female companions alone.

I never thought of the new 11 being snowmen Victorian dress but I would LOVE that as long as he had a big hat.

The elephant in the room for BCS is daleks, the one surefire seller we haven't had yet or heard anything about. I'd also like to hear about the possibility of a NuWho Tardis.

I don't think the body for Amy would work with a Rose figure. Amy is tall and skinny, where Rose was move of an average woman.

In my opinion, I think the companions that would sell well would be:

Captain Jack
Strax
River Song (maybe)
Rose Tyler

Most people I know dislike River Song. I don't think she's massively popular with the fans.

I was thinking about what they could in place of a signature edition do with the first Doctor seeing as how Hartnell has been dead for a few decades. Then it dawn at me. I think BC might do a smaller black and white run in lue of the signature edition. This is all speculation on my part, but seeing as how there are colored photos of the WIP head, CO variations of the 1 and 2 Doctor in B&W, as well as B&W (l understand B&W photos are used on WIP heads to bring out the details of the sculpt,) maybe they will go with this route for the diehard fans. It would be insteresting, but I can't say if it would sell well.

Most people I know dislike River Song. I don't think she's massively popular with the fans.

Same here. That is why when Dave mentioned her as being a favorite, I was like "I don't know." She is a mixed bag character. I think part of the reason ppl do not like her since she could be viewed as a Mary Sue character. Sure she dies or is currently dead, but I think the way Moffat portrayed her in season 6 left a bad taste in people's mouth.

As for popularity, I strongly belive that Jack and Strax are way up there as far as popular companions. Rose is way up there too, but I heard Piper refuses to lend her likeness to an action figure of the character. I know people like Donna and Martha, but they seem like mixed bag characters as well.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but the new 11 is the season 7 11. There is an image of the figure on the BC's banner regarding the (now defunct) 10th TDOD Doctor figure signup contest. BC confirmed that that is the one being released soon.

I think they could use the Amy Pond body for a Leia or a Perri figure. While it is true that these two characters aren't as popular as Rose and are classic companions, they can use the body.

Really the only two people I would buy other than Doctor figures would be Captain Jack and River Song.

Back