It's official: STAR WARS 3D Theatrical Re-Releases Coming

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishJedi

Super Freak
Reaction score
Beginning with EPISODE I in 2012:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i677c428c4dc16c2c7592835d50e86a3a

Big news on the 3D front.

Sources indicate that George Lucas is set to re-release the entire "Star Wars" franchise in new 3D conversions beginning in 2012. Though the 3D versions have been rumored for some time, Lucas was purportedly waiting until there were enough 3D screens available to make the release a sizable enough event.

Fox, which released all six of the original "Star Wars" films, would also release the 3D versions.

Part 1, "The Phantom Menace," would be first out of star-dock in the early months of 2012. After that, each of the films would be released in order at the same time each consecutive year, depending on how well the first re-release does.

Each conversion takes at least a year to complete, with Lucas personally overseeing the process to make sure each one is as perfected as possible. Lucas has said that the "Avatar" experience convinced him that "Star Wars" was ready for the state-of-the-art 3D treatment.

Also pushing the timetable is a potential breakthrough in 3D television technology. With Samsung penetrating the market with 50,000-plus 3D-equipped televisions, and Sony planning to send its version to market in the coming months, the home-viewing experience could be primed for 3D DVD versions of the classic films by the time the new 3D series runs its course.

Lucas is purportedly queuing up the theatrical re-releases as a lead-in to the ultimate home viewing experience. Beyond that, the property would launch to all other 3D media.

Last edited:
Personally, I think it's a mistake to start with EPISODE I, especially since it will be 1 per year. 2015 until we get to the OT? Blech.

Why won't he just die?

This is doomed from the start. Releasing Episode 1 first will more than likely prove underwhelming in box office return, and would probably derail any potential 3D releases afterwards. Also, 3D conversions from elements shot in 2D have looked generally deplorable, so far.

I won't even go into the fact that Lucas will happily invest in converting his special editions to 3-D, but won't spend dime one on restoration of the original cuts.

Last edited:
Seriously. I don't get 3D. I don't want to have to put on some stupid Men in Black shades just to watch a movie.

And the shades wouldn't be able to block the horrible dialogue.

Whatever. I'm excited. They should definitely be starting with the OT though.

jjb-thumb-320x345-6268.jpg

I don't see why they wouldn't start with TPM. It's the first in a series and has the second highest box office.

Will this delay the BluRay versions?

I don't see why they wouldn't start with TPM. It's the first in a series and has the second highest box office.
TPM's box office is almost entirely due to the fact that it was the most anticipated movie of all time. Today, it's universally regarded as being in the bottom 2 least popular films in the series.

Will this delay the BluRay versions?

No. That's still coming out next year (2011).

Back