It's official: STAR WARS 3D Theatrical Re-Releases Coming

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm interested in where the blu ray release fits into this. Are the films going to be the exact same version as the DVD release? Will it share the changes made to the 3D release? Or will they only have a couple of changes over the DVDs while missing others added to the 3D release, making the blu rays nothing more than placeholders?:dunno

No kidding? All right then.

Psh. Like it would be that easy. :lol

I'm interested in where the blu ray release fits into this. Are the films going to be the exact same version as the DVD release? Will it share the changes made to the 3D release? Or will they only have a couple of changes over the DVDs while missing others added to the 3D release, making the blu rays nothing more than placeholders?:dunno

Since the BluRay releases are coming out next year, my guess is the 3D movies would be built off of them. They'll have their hands full with the OT 3D releases anyway, so I doubt we'll see changes to them unless it's adding more "SE" style stupid elements for the sole purpose of popping out at you.

meh.jpg

Just about every film has elements that I can't wait to see in 3D.

TPM: The pod race
AOTC: The streetcar chase in the dark, it will be interesting to see if that works.
ROTS: The opening sequence and the Mustafar fight
ANH: Blockade runner, death star assault
ESB: everything...:) but especially Hoth battle and asteroids
ROTJ: speederbike chase

I really hope they change it back to Han shot first this time.

You know, maybe this is a good chance for Lucas to make some changes. I know people say leave well enough alone, but he already started, so why not "fix" some things like maybe changing back the Han/Greedo shootout, giving Boba Fett's voice back or getting rid of that god-awful new ROTJ dance scene?

For that matter, The Phantom Edit proved that Episode I could be a LOT better. I bet they redo the Yoda scenes digitally, at the very least. It'd be nice if Anakin and Jar-Jar could be toned down a bit too. Heck, they should just re-animate Jar-Jar completely and give him a different (better) voice.

But that's probably wishful thinking...

Do movies even use the pop off the screen 3D anymore? Every recent 3D movie I've seen just added depth to the picture.

Meh, I disagree there.

Movies made for 3D, like Avatar or Beowulf, look awesome, but when 3D is added as an afterthought, everything just looks muddled. Alice in Wonderland is a good example of this. The 3D didn't do anything for me (the fact that it was a crap movie didn't help either, of course).

Just about every film has elements that I can't wait to see in 3D.

TPM: The pod race
AOTC: The streetcar chase in the dark, it will be interesting to see if that works.
ROTS: The opening sequence and the Mustafar fight
ANH: Blockade runner, death star assault
ESB: everything...:) but especially Hoth battle and asteroids
ROTJ: speederbike chase

A friend of mine saw this scene, at least about 60 seconds of it at a Nascar race....yes, a Nascar race. This was about four years ago, after George had announced the initial plans to do it for the 30th anniversary, and it was a demo that was set up by the company that was spearheading the technology of converting films to 3D. It was in a couple minute clip that also had a scene from E.T.. He said the depth of the Coruscant chase was pretty incredible.

Excellent news. I wasn't convinced about 3D untill recently. After buying a 3D TV though I'm a card carrying convert! I love Star Wars and can't wait to see the whole incredible saga on the big screen again and in 3D. Roll on 2012.

The way 3D works is that there's two images, one for each eye (just like in real life). The differences is how they make sure that the image that is meant for each eye is only visible by that eye.

Movie theaters use a polarizing technique where they light from the projectors have a polarizing filter on them and then the lenses of the glasses are a polarizing filter that separates them out. Those glasses are cheap.

Then there's what most 3D TV's have, which is active shutter technology--the TV switches between the two images very quickly, and the glasses are electronically synced with the TV, the glasses block one eye and switch so that when the left image is on screen, the right eye is blocked and when the right image is on screen the left eye is blocked. The reason for the 3D TV is that they have to have a high refresh rate, if the TV isn't fast enough then you end up seeing stuttering, or ghosting, also the TV has to have the hardware that wirelessly links to the shutter glasses.

Anyways, that's a short explanation of everything.

Cool, thanks for keeping me from having to look it up myself :lol

That's interesting... but does explain why the picture looks kind of weird on 3D TVs.

I am excited for this. I mean I have seen all 6 films in all their incarnations countless times. I am excited for a little bit of newness and think the 3D will be fun to experience with these.

Not so sure if I appreciate the continuous make-over these films keep getting.

I love 4 of the 6 films, but Lucas just can't seem to help himself. he just can't leave good enough alone.

Back