Should I quit?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimFeliz

Super Freak
Reaction score
I’m thinking of selling off my SSC 12” SW figures. I don’t know, the passion for them has just died in me. I only have one PF in the SW line and was thinking of getting the rest and only sticking with them that SW.

I have a few reasons for not wanting to continue.
1 – I really need to save more.
2 - I just don’t have the room at them moment – They are all packed away. This could be a big reason why I have lost some interest.
3 – I’m shying away from SW stuff. I still love the movies but there is just too much to collect and you really have to be selective.
4 – I would prefer to concentrate on higher end collectables. I feel a collection usually looks a lot more impressive when you see only a few nice PF/statues then 30 or so 12” figures.
5 – I’m just not as impressed with them as I was. Sometimes I think I have just continued on because I felt I had to.

I know I will take a big loss selling them. I hope being that they are all exclusive version helps a bit, yet I’m not selling them to make a profit.

I know no one here can answer this question for me it has to be my decision. I just wanted to throw it out there get some feedback.

This happened to me many years ago with the Hasbro figures and 12” figures. I just decided one day I didn’t want to continue any more and I never regretted leaving that behind.

Quit only if it gets in the way of eating. :lecture

You may very well regain the "passion".

Hasn't come to that yet. It's just with everything else I collect SW has taken a backseat.

I could just hold onto them, I suppose. I do feel a little of it is due to me not being able to display them. Maybe when I have the room again I will want to continue.

I was thinking of using the money I make back to track down the rest of the PF's i Need. Oh Just remembered Jabba I'll keep him no matter what.

I was also thinking of selling all my Neca and McFarlane figures and just keep my PF's and just focus on the higher end stuff.

I've done this before, trying to focus on less stuff to collect. Once it was done, I felt really good - I was able to use a HUGE chunk of cash in my Paypal account for a little trip to England and Holland, and buy some stuff that I really cared about too, collecting wise.

It's a hard decision to make, because there's a lot of cool stuff out there. However, I felt that I would prefer to collect one thing really well, than a bunch of stuff halfway.

If you feel it's right, go for it.

only you can answer that question. If you are not enjoying it right now, take a break from it for a while. If the feeling still isn't there, then sell em off.

Even though I have a wopping total of 2 figures.....I'd feel the same way. I mean, Wedge? WEDGE? Theres better, and more popular characters to make like...oh I dont know....BOBA FREAKING FETT???!

Maybe keep your ABSOLUTE favorites...but ditch the rest...but if you don't have the heart for it anymore...it's best to move on.

Thank for all the advice. I didn't expect an answer. I know only I can do that. I just wanted to get it off my chest.

It’s just a big descion for me. That’s one thing that annoys me about my brother. He collects too, not SW or anything on the scale I do. Still he will buy something keep it a few months then sell it off. Never understood it. Only did it once before with the Hasbro figures.

Like I said it might be due to not having the room. I used to get excited when I went and picked up a new figure and now I don't. That could be due to the fact now when I get home it gets put in the cupboard. Where as before I would be taking it out and putting it up on display.

I still love and want to continue on with the Premium Format line, and other licences I collect. Loving HT right now.

I might wait until Vader comes out. After getting him if I still feel meh about them I will give up.

Yeah, give it time and really not being able to display stuff (but buying anyway) would get old pretty fast. I'm running/ have run out of space and I know it makes me take a hard look at the old collection and consider what needs to go.

A agree with what someone else said, trim it down to just your favorite pieces, even at a loss, and then use the money to get a display cabinet and show off your favorites.

Maybe keep your ABSOLUTE favorites...but ditch the rest...but if you don't have the heart for it anymore...it's best to move on.
this is what i did.
it gets to a point where collecting becomes a lose-lose situation and you have to quit because there's just no way to keep up and still be a functioning adult.
i sold around 99% of my star wars collection (at a loss, of course) and just kept stuff that i think is too cool to get rid of yet.
now, i have extra room and cash to get just a few of the the REALLY cool things and the much higher price points keeps the collection under control.
win-win for me.
________
A Transmission

Last edited:
sounds like your making the progression. if your asking then SELL THEM. take that $$$ and get the PF's your wanting. I started with the McF figures and have been selling them off to get more 1:6 scale ones. and will probally one day be selling off all these to get more PF's and 1:1 scale items. then one day I'll sell them all except a few pieces and ?????? :D

It's interesting, because I'm facing some of the same issues. I don't have my figures all packed away, but I am getting to the point where I'm starting to run out of display room. And I've discovered since I started buying PFs and statues that a few very impressive pieces do look a lot better than a bunch of figures, even if the figures are displayed well. Many of the figures don't impress me like they once did.

I got most of my stuff on the secondary market in the first place, so I could probably sell them and not really take much of a loss compared to what I originally paid. But it's not as if I would make a lot of money even if I sold everything. Probably only enough for few PFs. I'm not sure it's worth it. I think personally I would prefer to pack them all away for a year or two rather than sell them. It was quite a bit of work to get them all and to customize some of them. If I put them in storage for a while I think I would eventually get some enthusiasm back for them. I'm almost certain I would regret selling them.

That said, my strategy for the moment is to just be a lot more selective with my purchases. I'm looking forward to Vader and the stormtroopers, and I guess I'll keep my Clone Wars Obi-wan preorder, but after that I'll have to think long and hard about which figures to get.

Back