Should I quit?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I find that in general it's always best to get rid of things in your collection that you are no longer impressed with or do not enjoy any longer. Sometimes tastes change and an item that you thought was awesome a few years ago just doesn't do it for you today. If the piece loses the meaning for you, there's no point in keeping it just for the sake of keeping it. You'll end up with a lot of stuff you're dragging around for no other reason than it's there.

It's better to have a few pieces that mean a lot to you, then a lot of stuff that means little to you.

I liquidated my SS Star Wars figures a few months ago. I had them all up to the release of the Stormtrooper and just decided it wasn't it anymore. I love Star Wars mind you. It is my favorite movie and collecting franchise ever. I just looked at each figure and decided that they just didn't look as good as I wanted them to. I got rid of them all with the exception of Jedi Luke, Leia Boushh, Bib Fortuna, Jabba the Hutt and his throne, and Salacious Crumb. The rest just weren't there and the money they are starting to cost is just getting worse. Three or four I got rid of and wouldn't have if I didn't need the cash and will pick those back up later but most of them just weren't good figures. I'll be getting the Vader but I have to really love the likeness to drop money on another one in the future.

If anyone is debating whether to drop this line and sell them off I say you should look at each figure and decide if you like the way it looks or not. I didn't and got rid of the ones I thought could have been better.

I am pretty much a completist when it comes to the Sideshow SW 1/6th line. No way am I quiting.:D

Wont quit, but have changed from completist to pick and choose, there have been to many meh offerings over the past year

the only thing i quit collecting were the SSC Freddy 12'' figures..i mean like 1 or 2 look good but i just don't like a whole row of freddys

I take a long look at the ones I am not happy with and make them into what I want them to be. :D

I was thinking about quitting until I found this site and people with the talent to repaint the sculpts. At first I was very happing with the SS line then every year the head sculpt got worst and worst i.e. Mace, Luke Bespin, and Han, up until a year ago I've been satisfied with the head sculpt. But the paint apps still suck. So I've been a bit more selective in the SS figures I would buy. Don’t get me wrong I'm glad SS does the Star Wars line, but for the amount of money we freaks drop they should at least be pretty close to outstanding figures.

I've completely quit SS 1/6 figures. I'm selling all of them. Once I got some HT figures, I lost interest in my SS ones.

:lecture I cut off all SS and Medicom items. HT and Enterbay seem to produce the type of quality and characters I am looking to purchase. Anti-selection against SS and Medicom reduces the size of the collection so all can be displayed and displayed in a nice, neat order :lol

I have a few reasons for not wanting to continue.
1 – I really need to save more.
2 - I just don’t have the room at them moment
3 – I’m shying away from SW stuff. I still love the movies but there is just too much to collect and you really have to be selective.
4 – I would prefer to concentrate on higher end collectables. I feel a collection usually looks a lot more impressive when you see only a few nice PF/statues then 30 or so 12” figures.
5 – I’m just not as impressed with them as I was. Sometimes I think I have just continued on because I felt I had to.

What you said. I'm feeling that about a lot of stuff right now, including my Star Wars stuff, and especially my Buffy stuff (talk about taking a loss). I think the only things I'm still feeling the love for is the Hot Toys AVP universe stuff. I'm right there with you on the rest of it though.

Seriously wondering if I should carry on at the moment. Going to take a big loss on my stuff but wondering if it is worth really worrying about. They are looking less and less impressive each day!

Having said that DCD 13" figures are not brilliant but I have a liking for them.

Confusing thing collecting :)

I think collecting is lot like being married. At first it’s great you can’t stop thinking about her, you always want to be around her. Then time and complacency takes place and you have to do thing to rekindle that passion. Finding this site help me do that I got a good portion of my figures heads painted, I customized some speeders, and built an Emperor’s throne. And all of a sudden collecting became fun again. If the passion is gone and it’s not fun to collect anymore move on. But just don’t divorce you wife you’ll never get a good return on an old wife. And the new one might be even worse than the first one. Here is a pic of my new wife. :monkey5

real-ugly-face.jpg

Back