I don't understand the attraction to 1/12 scale figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hear you,

My nearest brick and mortar store gets all the latest NECA and HT in, but, their Black Series are nearly all red line which they've had sat there since it first released. There aren't even any decent ones in there either, really annoying!

Rogerbee,
Good to see you around brother. Good to see more old school OSWers around here.
Yeah, location is a huge thing for Brick And Mortar access points. When gas was infinitely cheaper, making a trek might be worth it in the old days, especially when online purchasing was not the way it is right now. But now with the cost of gas becoming a factor in all traveling distance, that changes things.
Sometimes people are lucky enough to live near a gold mine spot ( lots of new releases consistently, not much competition for the "good stuff" and close by/truly accessible) but most are not. There was a Target about 50 miles from me that just consistently had good stuff all the time. But it was 50 miles one way and 100 miles round trip. I love toys, but I might not love them that much.
And then some people might be luckier and be near one of the surviving 1/6th dealers. Or near a hotspot for actual toy shows.
The nice thing about a "toy hunt" is the chase is kind of exciting sometimes. But you need to feed the addiction often enough to justify the chase.
Merry Xmas Rogerbee, glad you are still here with us.

If you didn't grow up playing with 1/12 Action Figures, ofcourse they won't be appealing to you when you grow up. I believe everyone whoever collects 1/12 Action Figures like me, grew up playing with them.

Rogerbee,
Good to see you around brother. Good to see more old school OSWers around here.
Yeah, location is a huge thing for Brick And Mortar access points. When gas was infinitely cheaper, making a trek might be worth it in the old days, especially when online purchasing was not the way it is right now. But now with the cost of gas becoming a factor in all traveling distance, that changes things.
Sometimes people are lucky enough to live near a gold mine spot ( lots of new releases consistently, not much competition for the "good stuff" and close by/truly accessible) but most are not. There was a Target about 50 miles from me that just consistently had good stuff all the time. But it was 50 miles one way and 100 miles round trip. I love toys, but I might not love them that much.
And then some people might be luckier and be near one of the surviving 1/6th dealers. Or near a hotspot for actual toy shows.
The nice thing about a "toy hunt" is the chase is kind of exciting sometimes. But you need to feed the addiction often enough to justify the chase.
Merry Xmas Rogerbee, glad you are still here with us.

Yeah, I'm about, though not as much as before. Even 1/12 is getting expensive now. Black Series was fun while there were some decent figures being discounted, but, ever fewer are now. I made an exception for Indy, I mean, when would a better one than the SHF turn up!?

I really do want to get an Alien Big Chap though, Mezco and Mafex are very pricey and both look very fragile to me. That leaves NECA, theirs is growing on me, but, I then run the risk of wanting the crew and feeding into the frustration that you can't get Dallas, Lambert and Kane in their regular flight gear. Oh joy!

Articulation, space, money and better representation of certain characters is the bigger appeal of the scale. Easier to be made, easier to be displayed, posed and companies are able to output more characters from a certain line over 1/6. Licenses that 1/6 companies won't touch is a big thing.

For example, at most we usually get 1-2 characters from one line for 1/6 figures. With 1/12, companies are able to do a much wider range of characters due to it being easier to produce. I've been very slowly collecting the Batman: HUSH line from Mafex and we would never get 1/6 figures that can be posed/displayed like this. They're also about 10 characters deep into the line. Good luck ever getting that from a 1/6 company.

dNtr4YL.jpg

5Punc9a.jpg

53376225969_f960da0dc4_k_d.jpg

Articulation, space, money and better representation of certain characters is the bigger appeal of the scale.

The range of potential vehicle options are interesting. Fortnite has some vehicles that would work ( needs some customization though) Sometimes you can find them on clearance. RC vehicles. WWE vehicles. Off brand stuff. We have almost 30 years of McFarlane too. Lots of that stuff , if you can find it at a show, etc, can work for diorama. Some of the weapons immediately translate ( Consider first run late 90s Metal Gear Solid...) Some of those old school wrestling figures and sets have some interesting accessories that would translate.

There's an unintended legacy support system in place.

So I bowed out of most Hot Toys after it breached the 150 dollar mark ( that was a long time ago) But I see some current sets are pushing 270 easy. Sometimes it's just nice to find something that's 10 bucks. Or 15 bucks. I know lots of 1/12 is more, or edges into the high end of the 1/12 spectrum, but the bargain market still has options in it from what I can see.

wh

The range of potential vehicle options are interesting. Fortnite has some vehicles that would work ( needs some customization though) Sometimes you can find them on clearance. RC vehicles. WWE vehicles. Off brand stuff. We have almost 30 years of McFarlane too. Lots of that stuff , if you can find it at a show, etc, can work for diorama. Some of the weapons immediately translate ( Consider first run late 90s Metal Gear Solid...) Some of those old school wrestling figures and sets have some interesting accessories that would translate.

There's an unintended legacy support system in place.

So I bowed out of most Hot Toys after it breached the 150 dollar mark ( that was a long time ago) But I see some current sets are pushing 270 easy. Sometimes it's just nice to find something that's 10 bucks. Or 15 bucks. I know lots of 1/12 is more, or edges into the high end of the 1/12 spectrum, but the bargain market still has options in it from what I can see.

what can you get for $15 nowadays lol. neca was $15-$20 when i started and neca is considered budget of the budget.

even hasbro 3.75 cost that much.

I have a variety. For me it's less about size, and more about if a figure exists or not. 😅

I would rather have a Metagross the same size and quality as my Ludicolo and Flygon, but for a Pokemon from 20 years ago, I can't be too picky.

I'm also into Playmobil, so size doesn't bother me so long as it looks nice. Size and figure quality don't have to go hand in hand. :)

I have a variety. For me it's less about size, and more about if a figure exists or not. 😅

I would rather have a Metagross the same size and quality as my Ludicolo and Flygon, but for a Pokemon from 20 years ago, I can't be too picky.

I'm also into Playmobil, so size doesn't bother me so long as it looks nice. Size and figure quality don't have to go hand in hand. :)
i love those human sized playmobils.

Playmobil's Mars lineup is really awesome. Very versatile and some of it has seamless transition to support other 1/12. I'd say it's probably underrated and under the radar in a community like this one in general.

Playmobil's Mars lineup is really awesome. Very versatile and some of it has seamless transition to support other 1/12. I'd say it's probably underrated and under the radar in a community like this one in general.

def very cool though I don't think 1:12 will fit, many 1:18 struggle to squeeze in. Very nice toys though

Was actually considering selling my 1/6 and going full on 1/12. Have not done it yet but i may. Quality is getting better (especially Mafex) cheaper and seems just more fun.

8bkdtm.jpg

A bit out of scale, though back in the day as a kid I used the Playmobil Moonbase as my JLA Satellite, filled with Kenner Superpowers figures.
Somewhere I have a shot of them recreating the image bellow.
8bkdtm.jpg

8bkcgl.jpg

p1tX0SQ.jpg

8bkefr.jpg

8bke3l.jpg

8bkec9.jpg

Last edited:
Back