Maybe we can have a nice discussion about prices???

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S-Ramos

Super Freak
Reaction score
How bout we look at the pics and see how/why the prices have differed. And too start I beleive Ive read that the headsculpt is a good percentage of the cost. And also im assuming the more molded plastic peices the greater the cost especially if theyre large accessories. Lmk if I missed a figure or mislabeled something.

$50

2104.jpg
2117.jpg
2109.jpg
2107.jpg
2105.jpg

I think the real test would be to see the next normal human Jedi figure and see how much they charge us for it.

We've been real used to the Hasbro standard of paying a set price for everything in the same scale with the occasional price increase for exclusives, electronic, or figures that comes with books or creatures.

Examples:

-Han with Taun Taun: $49.99
-Bikerscout with Speederbike: $49.99

-Talking Darth Vader: $29.99-39.99
-Talking Boba Fett: $29.99-39.99

-Mace Windu: $19.99
-Watto: $19.99
-Sebulba: $19.99
-Plo Koon: $19.99
-Admiral Ackbar: $19.99

-R2-D2: $9.99
-Wicket: $9.99
-Yoda: $9.99

Kinda interesting to see how SS Jedi Luke 12" is the equivalent to a figure and a taun taun in price.

Coheteboy said:
I think the real test would be to see the next normal human Jedi figure and see how much they charge us for it.

We've been real used to the Hasbro standard of paying a set price for everything in the same scale with the occasional price increase for exclusives, electronic, or figures that comes with books or creatures.

Examples:

-Han with Taun Taun: $49.99
-Bikerscout with Speederbike: $49.99

-Talking Darth Vader: $29.99-39.99
-Talking Boba Fett: $29.99-39.99

-Mace Windu: $19.99
-Watto: $19.99
-Sebulba: $19.99
-Plo Koon: $19.99
-Admiral Ackbar: $19.99

-R2-D2: $9.99
-Wicket: $9.99
-Yoda: $9.99

Kinda interesting to see how SS Jedi Luke 12" is the equivalent to a figure and a taun taun in price.

Well, from what I've heard, those Hasbro figures are from a different league. We cant really compare them to SST SW?

samuraiwarrior said:
Well, from what I've heard, those Hasbro figures are from a different league. We cant really compare them to SST SW?

Hehe good heavens no. I'm really just pointing out that Hasbro gives us all sorts of new sculpts and new costumes in their 12" line without charging us extra for it at all.

But I suppose you can argue that they're a mass supplier of toys throughout the nation (and the world) so that they are able to keep costs relative.

Coheteboy said:
But I suppose you can argue that they're a mass supplier of toys throughout the nation (and the world) so that they are able to keep costs relative.

Yeah thats true, how many Hasbro figs did Walmart alone buy? A good point about the vehicles and tauntaun. The tauntaun was a toys r us exclusive right? But Hasbro did release a hoth han by himself, how much did the single figs go for, $20? And the speederbike and (which i still need to get one:monkey5) the scout was an exclusive right? But again they did release the scout by himself although in limited numbers. Yhey also had leia and the bike as well, so they produced a fairly good amount of the bikes.

Great thread S-Ramos. Maybe you could edit your initial post and put up their edition sizes as well, to see if there is any relevance in that area. That's probably the next major point as to how the price is calculated.

creecher said:
Great thread S-Ramos. Maybe you could edit your initial post and put up their edition sizes as well, to see if there is any relevance in that area. That's probably the next major point as to how the price is calculated.

Now this IS the thread for us creecher. What about other figures? (LOTR, Buffy etc)

Yeah ill do that. Just too be clear the edition sizes are the amount available through sideshow and retailers combined?

samuraiwarrior said:
Now this IS the thread for us creecher. What about other figures? (LOTR, Buffy etc)
Why you. :stooge :monkey5 :lol

S-Ramos said:
Just too be clear the edition sizes are the amount available through sideshow and retailers combined?
Yep, that's right. Sideshow gives the edition size for it's figures in the description. You'll have three possibilities. A regular edition figure, and it's edition size e.g. 5000. Maybe an exclusive, which will have it's own edition size e.g. 750. It's also possible the edition size hasn't been determined yet, and you will see TBD (To Be Determined). The edition size is what is available, i.e from Sideshow and any other outlet worldwide in total.

Coheteboy said:

What about the difference in price between Kit Fisto and Plo Koon?

It seems to me that Kit would have required more material to make his head than Plo Koon, not to mention 100% of his costume had to be designed brand new where as Plo seems to be wearing the exact same costume produced for Mace Windu minus his slightly tweaked under tunic and robe.

Edition size must also not be relevent considering Plo is an edition size of 1500 while Kit was only 1250. Plus I would imagine Kit's metal exclusive cost far more than Plo little plastic lightsaber.

From where I'm standing it seems to me that SSC are increasing the prices of the figures simply because they can. They now realize the enormity of the amount of money they can make off the ultimate licensing cash cow known as Star Wars and are simply capitalizing on it.

I obviously would rather pay $50 for each figure like we did from the beginning but it doesn't surprise me that they as a company are milking this major opportunity for all it's worth. If I ran the company I'd probably be tempted to get rich as hell off it too.

Of course I would also use some of that profit on better quality control to make sure each figure came off the factory line without major paint flaws...:doh

how about this: Hasblo figures were mass produced. and if you look at one of their Han figures the head sculpt is exactly the same as all their Han figures.
sideshow makes their figures in a "Limited" capacity. usually not more than a couple thousand. everyone talks bad on their little flaws and mistakes but if you compare a Plo Koon Sideshow figure next to a Hasblo Plo Koon im pretty sure you'll notice a difference. and another thing...with sideshow you get a hell of a lot more accessories like: the actual pouches on their belt, 2 lightsabers, the small items that go into the pouches, a usually a set of extra hands, and whatever exclusive item they might come with. what comes with a Hasblo other than say the weapon?? (seriously, i dont know)

hairlesswookiee said:
how about this: Hasblo figures were mass produced. and if you look at one of their Han figures the head sculpt is exactly the same as all their Han figures.
sideshow makes their figures in a "Limited" capacity. usually not more than a couple thousand. everyone talks bad on their little flaws and mistakes but if you compare a Plo Koon Sideshow figure next to a Hasblo Plo Koon im pretty sure you'll notice a difference. and another thing...with sideshow you get a hell of a lot more accessories like: the actual pouches on their belt, 2 lightsabers, the small items that go into the pouches, a usually a set of extra hands, and whatever exclusive item they might come with. what comes with a Hasblo other than say the weapon?? (seriously, i dont know)

And dont forget that the ones from SS comes in a really fancy box.

hairlesswookiee said:

There's no denying the fantastic job SSC does with the small details of the costumes.
Sure, the SSC Plo Koon makes the Hasbro one look like pretty bad (Well, the prototype one does...who knows what the final version we get will look like but that's beside the point.Although I will give Hasbro credit for at least giving him his correct costume with dark brown pants and tunic and not just throwing him in Mace Windu's completely different costume.:rolleyes: )
but you have to remember we are also paying 3 times the price that the Hasbro one costs so it had better be 3 times more well done.

Also if Hasbro is making far more figures than Sideshow, shouldn't it be Hasbro that would be more likely to let production errors on the figures happen?
If SSC is overseeing the factory production of only 10% that Hasbro is then it would make more sense to me that they should have an easier time making sure the final product is up to the correct specifications and be able to more easily make a small batch of figures turn out correctly.

With this discussion about price... Why would we need to wait for another human jedi to see Sideshow's pricing?

They're already charging $60 for a unnamed rebel soldier which doesnt have very many accessories and his clothing doesnt look like anything special.

IMO It's apparant that the $60 price point is here to stay.

hairlesswookiee said:

The "little" things that go into the pouches, the food capsules, an extra hand, and two lightsabers dont even cost alot of money to make.

They are all made out of molded plastic, which probably costs a few pennies to make. So I dont see how you justify accessories to the overall price point of the figure?

Sure the accessories are nice to have, but they are not what is making or breaking the price of the figure.

Also, total edition sizes of SS SW figures so far have been around 9000 range. I consider that mass produced as well, so I dont factor in edition size to the price point at all either. the only difference between hasbro and SS in terms of production size is that Sideshow's is announced while Hasbros is not.

nash said:
IMO It's apparant that the $60 price point is here to stay.

The cheapest Star Wars figure will be $65 by the first half of next year, just watch.

nash said:
One last thing, total edition sizes of SS SW figures so far have been around 9000 range. I consider that mass produced as well, so I dont factor in edition size to the price point at all either. the only difference between hasbro and SS in terms of production size is that Sideshow's is announced while Hasbros is not.

Even though Hasbro has never officially confirmed it, from what I've read they make most of their toys more in the high hundreds of thousands range.

SSC doesn't manufacture a fraction of what they produce.

Hasbro's toys are in millions of stores worldwide, SSC only sells toys online.
In my opinion they really don't have an excuse to let something like say, Anakin's lips, happen when you're only producing 9000 pieces. That's just shoddy quality control.

Last edited:
Poggle the Greater said:
The cheapest Star Wars figure will be $65 by the first half of next year, just watch.

I dont doubt it either. Im expecting increases in edition sizes of the exclusives as well as price increases as time goes on. Thats the way it works.

Ok. Just to put my oar in here.

It's apparent that the price of the SSC figures has gone up and whilst we can all say 'yeah but it's a generic GI Joe figure' the fact remains that we don't know what production costs SSC were swallowing to start with on this line in order to keep the price down.

The medicom/SSC argument is for another place but the bottom line is that even with the IMO small increase in price, these products are still 50% cheaper than a medicom.

SSC are a business, businesses have to make profit, the license WILL be an expensive one for them because they will not only have the 'rent' to Hasbro but also the Lucasfilm dinero to find.

I'm paying about £35.00 per figure via Forbidden Planet and, quite honestly, given the overall quality fo the figures in this line I am more than happy to pay this.

It all comes back though to what you can afford to pay and I understand the slight frustration with the percieved increase but realistically we're talking an extra $10.00 (£5.00) per month. Look at it this way, instead of getting the extra big burger and fries, just get a medium sized one and put the money saved to your SW figs.

If the pieces are too expensive for you at $60.00 may I respectfully suggest that you stop collecting this line now.

I'd love to collect the PF's. I have Luke and Han but then I realised that I couldn't afford to get this line so guess what? I stopped. Yes I'd LOVE to have them and they are amzing figures but they are too expensive and I simply can't afford them.

BUT...I will get a Luke Bespin PF (If ever announced) even though it is expensive because it's the piece that defines the character for me and the trilogy in general.

My point? If they are too expensive then pick and choose.

But if there is a price increase then unless you know what SSC are paying per barrel for oil etc. then really you can't scream and rail and them for increasing the price by $10.00. and at the end of the day - if they have done it to make a liitle more profit then good luck to them. They deserve it.

Back