Xbox360

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Darth Loki said:
I'm assuming you traded in your other 360. How much did it cost you out of pocket with the trade-in of the other system?

That's what I wonder. I just bought mine and I feel like I should have waited a few more days... would have had an Elite...:monkey2

I think if you trade in your old system at Gamestop you get $250 for the premium system, then $200 for the core system, and then you can use that money towards an Elite.

But if I get the money I'll buy an Elite system, I like black plus the HDMI, I don't care that it's not HDMI 1.3 because I don't have 7.1 surround sound anyway.

I think i'll wait until they update the GPU to the 65 nm from the current 90 nm. Although on Attack of the Show on G4 they said the elite is quieter/cooler than the current ones...? I thought it wouldn't be cooler/quieter....?

I was watching G4 tonight and they said graphics wise you really can't tell the difference. Even with the HDMI. I have HDMI on my TV and will save it for when I buy a PS3. I allready use one for my cable box and 1 for DVD. I wish I had a black 360 though to go along with my GOW faceplate. :monkey2

HDMI huh? Is this the solution the the HD DVD HDMI issue? I don't see how since the HD DVD drive connects through a USB port. Or am I wrong? Od does the new system have the HD DVD drive built in which will piss me off.

KitFisto said:
HDMI huh? Is this the solution the the HD DVD HDMI issue? I don't see how since the HD DVD drive connects through a USB port. Or am I wrong? Od does the new system have the HD DVD drive built in which will piss me off.
The new one is the same HD drive is seperate.

mfoga said:
The new one is the same HD drive is seperate.

Well then the HD DVD drive will still not be connected by HDMI right so the quality will still be slightly less? Or is there a new HD DVD drive that has HDMI too? If you use the current HD DVD drive it connects to the 360 with USB so even if the new 360 has HDMI output it will only help the picture quality of the games and not the USB connected HD DVD drive?

I don't think there's any quality loss through from the HD-DVD addon through the Xbox 360. The HDMI just allows you to display it digitally instead of analog. With HDMI the darks are a little bit darker and it's just a little bit sharper than the older systems. Also, the Elite isn't any quieter than the older ones, but it is expected that systems later this year will have a cooler-running graphics processor and then I think possibly the CPU.

Right now the only advantages of the Elite is the black color, HDMI, and a larger hard drive. Which saves you money compared to buying the premium system and then upgrading the 120GB hard drive separately.

So I would say, unless you already have one then you can live without the Elite, unless you really need the HDMI connection or the extra space.

Also keep in mind that any Xbox Live Arcade games or TV shows redownloaded or transferred to the Elite can only be accessed while connected to the internet. It is tied to the original console it was downloaded to for copyright reasons. If your internet is down or you play offline a lot, you won't be able to use this content.

Like Vader AL, I want to wait for a more substantial and stable upgrade to the hardware before making a switch. I've already forked over $140 due to a red ring of death on my launch system. :monkey2

I think for the transfer you can get a free transfer cable, but you can't transfer any videos that you've bought, I think you have to download those again or whatever (I'm not accustomed to the Xbox Live Marketplace) but you can still can at least transfer your saved games.

As far as downloaded videos, my understanding was that when you migrated your account over to the new console, you would have to download everything again (at no charge) and then they would no longer be viewable on the old console.

I'll just get the 120gb HD since you can buy that. I don't need to buy the new version of the system.

Darth Loki,
I didn't trade in at all. My brother has often bought systems or electronics from me when I upgrade. I sold it to him for $250 with a couple of games(Dead Rising, Burnout) to get him started, and then used that against the elite. I won't be letting it go until the transfer cable arrives from Microsoft, as I guess it was included with the 120 HDD, but not the Elite itself. Once that arrives, I transfer my data, I will box up the old premium kit and get it my younger brother. He used to get hand me down clothes, now he gets hand me down electronics!

jlcmsu said:
I'll just get the 120gb HD since you can buy that. I don't need to buy the new version of the system.

For $50 more you can trade out your current one for the Elite and have a black system and HDMI.

Really, the 120GB hard drive is cheating you out of money, some people opened it up and it's just a notebook hard drive worth $100.

Hey, Seaward, the Elite doesn't come with the transfer cable, from what I've heard there's some way you have to contact microsoft and they'll send you one. But they aren't included.

The Elite is $479.99 so just $80 more than the Premium, so for $80 more you get 100GB more of space, plus HDMI and a black finish. The 120GB Hard Drive is $180 itself, so if you want to upgrade either your premium system or core system it's $180 more, which for the premium system that would mean you're paying $100 more than the Elite system but without HDMI or black ($400+$180=$580). But if you trade in your premium system at Gamestop for $250 you'd just have to pay and additional $220 to get the Elite. And they'll let you transfer your stuff to. You just buy the Elite and grab the trade-in coupon, then you can take it home and transfer your files from your old system, then you bring the coupon back with your old system to trade in and they'll give you $250.

Back