Xbox360

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back in Black: Elite 360 Confirmed
New HDMI-enabled system due in late April, 120GB HDD also sold separately.

by Douglass C. Perry
March 27, 2007 - In what appears to be Microsoft's standard cart-before-the-horse style of information delivery, the leading console manufacturer of this generation confirmed nearly all of the rumors preceding today's announcement of the new black, HDMI-enabled Xbox 360 Elite.

FULL ARTICLE at IGN

tomandshell said:
Anybody want to buy my white 360?

:eek:

does it have a warranty? :D :monkey3

wow, this black system comes with a black controller, etc. AND it's not a limited edition, pretty sweet. the $499 ps3 version does not come with a 120 GB HD so that's not exactly comparable .

i'll get one and give my current one to my mom or sister...or put it in another room.

Last edited:
I think it's funny that the PS3 doesn't give you an HDMI--or even component--cable to take advantage of the HD capabilities. That made me laugh when I bought mine. They make a big deal about it being a cutting edge next gen high def powerhouse and all they give you is a yellow RCA cable.

:rotfl

As far as the hard drive, I think that $20 less for six times the space isn't a bad deal at all.

I will be perfectly happy with my 20 GB PS3 with Blu-ray AND my 120 GB 360 + HD DVD player.

Both with HDMI, finally!!!

:chew :chew :chew

tomandshell said:
I think it's funny that the PS3 doesn't give you an HDMI--or even component--cable to take advantage of the HD capabilities. That made me laugh when I bought mine. They make a big deal about it being a cutting edge next gen high def powerhouse and all they give you is a yellow RCA cable.

:rotfl

As far as the hard drive, I think that $20 less for six times the space isn't a bad deal at all.

I will be perfectly happy with my 20 GB PS3 with Blu-ray AND my 120 GB 360 + HD DVD player.

Both with HDMI, finally!!!

:chew :chew :chew

Wait the PS3 doesn't come with any HD cable?:lol

mfoga said:
Wait the PS3 doesn't come with any HD cable?:lol

I had to purchase an HDMI cable separately. But I got the 20 GB version. Maybe the 60 GB model comes with one, but mine sure didn't. I'm glad the 360 will include one.

Too bad it doesn't have the updated processor though. That would have been nice, I'm sure it would have helped make sure less consoles crash.

This'll be cool. But I can't afford it yet, luckily though it's not limited edition so I've got all the time in the world to get the money to buy one.

Only decision now is whether or not to get a new display first or this. BTW, does anyone know if you have to have an HDCP compatible monitor to use the VGA cable? I don't think it would matter since HDCP is only for digital and would be an issue for HDMI or DVI connections, but maybe I'm wrong.

I've also heard a rumor that they are going to try to lower the cost of the HD DVD add-on drive to around $130 so that the maxed out versions of both consoles will be comparable in price. The 360 + HD DVD player will sell for about $10 more than the 60 GB PS3, but it will include an HDMI cable and twice the hard drive space. So I believe that the 360 comes out as the better deal.

However, many will prefer the built in Blu-ray of the PS3 to the add-on for the 360. And then you have to get into the whole HD DVD vs. Blu-ray battle. So if you are in it for movies, I would go for the PS3, but if you are in it for the games I would go for the 360. At the rate that the previously Playstation exclusives game franchises are going format neutral and jumping on the 360 bandwagon, there will be very few PS3 exclusive games to look forward to.

i want one, but am also very happy with the current one i have right now. will get one eventually just to go "Back in Black" with my systems. HDMI is cool, but the Lamestation 3 ticks me off the most because sony preached and preached about HD, but after shelling out $500+ for a system you still had to go buy a cable just to see it.
~~also does anyone know if it is also component capable??? i don't quite have a tv with HDMI capabilities yet but the tv is coming soon.

Last edited:
Good news everyone!

In April Microsoft is releasing 2 new multi-levels for HALO 2. (for both xbox and xbox360)

And in May we are getting 5 new multi-levels for Call of Duty 3!!!

just thought I would let you know.

And a new and improved version of Halo 2 is coming to PC on May 8th!

And the Xbox 360 Elite is coming April 29th, unless you can find it already (some people have). And Spider-Man 3 is coming out for every console one the 4th, lot's of great games coming out, it's exciting.

Vader AL said:
so did anyone pick up a 360 elite today?
i seriously thought about it. my friend that works at EB said they were only getting 3 in and that two of them were spoken for by employees. i think its messed up, but i also want to get a part time job with them for the perks ofthe job.

Call me a sucker, but yes, I did trade up to the Elite. I've always sold older systems to my brother, but I'll be finally going HD later this year, so the re-investment in the larger hard drive, the HDMI cable, and because I am a little OCD, but the black case fits in better with my tv and stereo system. I also won't have to put up with cheeto stains on a white controller anymore. I've always been able to borrow back a system from my brother for LAN parties and the like, so having a second 360 for when Halo 3 comes out, I'll be all set.

Seaward said:
Call me a sucker, but yes, I did trade up to the Elite. I've always sold older systems to my brother, but I'll be finally going HD later this year, so the re-investment in the larger hard drive, the HDMI cable, and because I am a little OCD, but the black case fits in better with my tv and stereo system. I also won't have to put up with cheeto stains on a white controller anymore. I've always been able to borrow back a system from my brother for LAN parties and the like, so having a second 360 for when Halo 3 comes out, I'll be all set.

I'm assuming you traded in your other 360. How much did it cost you out of pocket with the trade-in of the other system?

Back