Xbox360

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The red ring happens when the circuit board gets too hot because of poor cooling and design flaws that don't allow good ventilation. This causes some of the soldering to come loose from the board. There are third party fans that can be used to try and keep it cooler, but I dont know how well they work. My suggestion would be to just keep it in a place that's not going to get too hot. Don't cram it in between other devices or leave it on the carpet etc. It's a crap shoot with the old models. It may be one that burns up in a month of light use or one that never dies. I've got an old one that I just retired that lasted WAY longer than I expected.

The red ring happens when the circuit board gets too hot because of poor cooling and design flaws that don't allow good ventilation. This causes some of the soldering to come loose from the board. There are third party fans that can be used to try and keep it cooler, but I dont know how well they work. My suggestion would be to just keep it in a place that's not going to get too hot. Don't cram it in between other devices or leave it on the carpet etc. It's a crap shoot with the old models. It may be one that burns up in a month of light use or one that never dies. I've got an old one that I just retired that lasted WAY longer than I expected.

my original 360 lasted until last year

Red ring is easy to fix usually, I don't think it's anything to worry about.

the white 360's aren't really vented properly. the only thing you can do is to keep it away from getting too hot

Thanks guys for the feedback. I hope the fan is not loud like my PS3 from the MGS4 bundle. Weird thing is that my PS3 intermittently scratches disc now :dunno

This is interesting;

https://www.gamespot.com/news/microsoft-sending-xbl-veterans-custom-console-6400013

I wonder who exactly is eligible? I've had the same XBL account since day one. I hit 10 years this month.

So I got an email from Microsoft detailing the XBL 10 year anniversary. As far as the free system is concerned, you have to download a special gamer pic and have it displayed in your profile by November 22. You'll then get a chance to win the 10 year anniversary XBOX system after that.

It's unclear how many they are giving away, but if you are a XBOX rewards member, you get two chances to enter instead of one.

I was given a promo code to download the specific gamer pic since I've been on XBL for the ten years. I guess that prevents anyone from entering who isn't eligible.

I think you just have to download the pic, right? I don't see where it says you have to use it, just download it.

I kinda miss the old days of my 360 sounding like an F16 when I turned it on.....:wink1:

Antique 2006 model right here.
250gig slim models are dirt cheap but its a matter of pride. I want my 20gig 360 hunk of junk to jet engine rumble right across the finish line to the Xbox720 at which point I will retire it with viking funeral honors. :yess:

yeah I downloaded my little helmet, but didnt display it. I think as long as you download it you'll be ok. Im pretty sure there not checking every avatar of every 10 year person to see if they have the helmet on...i'll turn it on when I get home.

250gig slim models are dirt cheap but its a matter of pride. I want my 20gig 360 hunk of junk to jet engine rumble right across the finish line to the Xbox720 at which point I will retire it with viking funeral honors. :yess:

LOL, see I want my 360 to work when the 720 hits, cause I am not expecting backwards compatibility; in fact, I want the new consoles to be as advanced as possible and want them to leave those 360s in the dusk, technology-wise

I'm right there with ya bro. :cool:
I remember having to buy my Xbox 360 off of EBay for like $500.00 (may have been more I can not remember) because not enough Xbox 360's were made and many were left waiting for like over a Month until more 360's hit the shelves.

Actually I have 2 Xbox 360's now...my original one from 2006 and a black version I bought 3 years ago to use in my room because unlike the original Xbox 360 the newer one I have has an HDMI port in the back so that I can get the full graphics out of it while plugged into my High Definition Television...only thing is that it has 50 GB of free space left on it. I wonder how long that will last me?

Still...both sound like jets about to take off when booting them up but I actually like that sound for some odd reason...let's me know that some awesome gaming is about to happen. :)

Last edited:
Back