X-Men: Days of Future Past

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought the suit was just a replica? Did it actually have any important functions?

If it did then I guess it wasn’t so forced, I just always thought put it on because “Soldiers suit up” :lol

I think there were a few reasons that work for the suit up, two in the narrative and an obvious one for the theme/symbolism.

Within the story, it makes sense to go into the fight with some protection. That's just common sense, especially since he would be facing off against a stronger opponent. Also, I would imagine Steve would think of the suit as something Bucky might remember, since it was made clear in the movie that he had no intention of killing Bucky.

But the main reason would be the symbolism - at the beginning of the movie, he's a SHIELD agent, and his stealth suit reflects that, much more so than it reflects Steve Rogers and the reason he became Captain America. Having the two suits fit the themes of the movie perfectly. Him being back in the WW2 suit at the end of the movie symbolizes how he's no longer a SHIELD agent - that all of the crap going down doesn't change what he stands for. He's his own person again. In a way it's (an obviously less dark and traumatic) parallel of Bucky as The Winter Soldier. They both start the movie as representations of a corrupt organization in their own way, and both break free by the end.

The WW2 Cap suit is Steve taking back Captain America.

Last edited:
if Jackman left tomorrow , I wouldn't care

Well, thats because you don’t care for the series, but it would be hard to argue Evans’ Cap is more iconic than Hugh’s Wolverine.

I think there were a few reasons that work for the suit up, two in the narrative and an obvious one for the theme/symbolism.

Within the story, it makes sense to go into the fight with some protection. That's just common sense, especially since he would be facing off against a stronger opponent. Also, I would imagine Steve would think of the suit as something Bucky might remember, since it was made clear in the movie that he had no intention of killing Bucky.

But the main reason would be the symbolism - at the beginning of the movie, he's a SHIELD agent, and his stealth suit reflects that, much more so than it reflects Steve Rogers and the reason he became Captain America. Having the two suits fit the themes of the movie perfectly. Him being back in the WW2 suit at the end of the movie symbolizes how he's no longer a SHIELD agent - that all of the crap going down doesn't change what he stands for. He's his own person again. In a way it's (an obviously less dark and traumatic) parallel of Bucky as The Winter Soldier. They both start the movie as representations of a corrupt organization in their own way, and both break free by the end.

Thanks for the info :hi5:

I’ve only watched the movie once, so I don’t remember everything but that explanation certainly makes me appreciate that scene more.

The franchise is definitely starting to embrace the spectacle of the comics, but what I mean by "grounded” is that Singer tries to incorporate all these fictional elements and make it as believable as possible, no matter how out of this world they might be.

The Amazing Spiderman 2 for example, just went full comic book, villains started naming themselves, obtaining costumes relevant to their name with zero explanation, cracking jokes during serious tension filled moments. The X-Men franchise can’t do that, so everything down to their costumes need to be thoroughly thought out and explained, that makes it a little bit more difficult considering how big the cast is for these films.

But then you have things like Xavier coming back to life that completely negates the "grounded" status.

The ASM2's problems didn't have to do with the comic lore, it was all on the writing.

And cracking jokes during serious moments.... There's a couple examples of that in the X-men franchise as well.

For me the MCU are just as believable as the X-men movies

I guess I should drop the word grounded, and replace it with” serious”. The X-Men films take themselves quite seriously compared to the rest of the superhero films being made these days. Unlike most other superheroes, the costumes never really seemed necessary, it’s really not important to their character, the properties are though, and for the most part I think the series delivered on that, Cyclops has his visor, Magneto has his helmet, Professor X has his wheelchair, Wolverine has his claws etc… Those are the essential tangible properties that make these characters who they are aside from their powers. Technically the films have introduced costumes for the team, most people just happen to hate it. In the comics, most their suits only serve one purpose, and that purpose isn’t really important at all to their character unlike most other superheroes.

"Serious" would make a better adjective, but not every single movie needs to be serious, again MCU for example, most of it's movies are regular comic book movies, and then you get Cap2, darker and more serious, no problemo.

The X-men comics aren't exactly super serious, not all the time.

But the costumes are important, it's part of their comic book identity.

Cyclops has his blue outfit, magneto his purple one, wolverine has his suit, if you think about it, spiderman only needs to hide his face, so any mask would suffice, but then, if you don't think giving him the big white eyes, blue and red costume is important, why bother to make a superhero movie?

Yeah people hate the 1st costumes because they don't even make an effort to draw inspiration from the source.

Robert Downey has always just been playing himself, yea he’s super smart, has an ego, and was a bit of a womanizer but he never really expresses himself like Tony from the comics, his mannerisms and personality come from Robert Downey, he basically turned the character into an egotistical Spiderman. Hugh’s Wolverine is pretty much accurate to the comic minus a few things, like his height, and he’s a little bit softer, but he makes up for it in his mannerisms and certainly his voice, if it weren’t for his height, I would say he was borderline a perfect Wolverine.

It just so happens that RDJ real personality is reaaaally close to Stark's and he is in fact cracking jokes more often than not.

Wolverine is more recluse, brooding but at the same time smart mouth, way more unpleasant and careless for pleasantries and his rage is waaaay nastier than what Jackman seems capable to portray.

So I guess you're right, Jackman is a softer Wolverine, but waaay softer, like bud light, and you know what they say about bud light.

There's only one moment where I though "well that's dead on Wolverine", in DOFP when they're in the plane, and Magneto just had his little tantrum, and Wolverine went like "so you've always been an ashole" :lol

DOFP May be the best Wolverine portrayal since X1.

I thought the suit was just a replica? Did it actually have any important functions?

If it did then I guess it wasn’t so forced, I just always thought put it on because “Soldiers suit up” :lol

That I wouldn't know, actually.

But "Soldiers need to suit up" is enough for me :lol

I didn’t enjoy the fight scene based on his civilian attire, I just thought it was a nice change to see Chris Evans be Cap without his suit.

Whaaat? It was such a badass fight scene, it was just as brutal as the hotel room fight in Quantum of Solace.

I know we’re cool Gasp, I was just pulling your chain because we rarely debate about anything :lol

You played me like a damn fiddle. :gah:

:clap astute analysis.

But then you have things like Xavier coming back to life that completely negates the "grounded" status.

The ASM2's problems didn't have to do with the comic lore, it was all on the writing.

And cracking jokes during serious moments.... There's a couple examples of that in the X-men franchise as well.

For me the MCU are just as believable as the X-men movies

"Serious" would make a better adjective, but not every single movie needs to be serious, again MCU for example, most of it's movies are regular comic book movies, and then you get Cap2, darker and more serious, no problemo.

The X-men comics aren't exactly super serious, not all the time.

But the costumes are important, it's part of their comic book identity.

Cyclops has his blue outfit, magneto his purple one, wolverine has his suit, if you think about it, spiderman only needs to hide his face, so any mask would suffice, but then, if you don't think giving him the big white eyes, blue and red costume is important, why bother to make a superhero movie?

Yeah people hate the 1st costumes because they don't even make an effort to draw inspiration from the source.

It just so happens that RDJ real personality is reaaaally close to Stark's and he is in fact cracking jokes more often than not.

Wolverine is more recluse, brooding but at the same time smart mouth, way more unpleasant and careless for pleasantries and his rage is waaaay nastier than what Jackman seems capable to portray.

So I guess you're right, Jackman is a softer Wolverine, but waaay softer, like bud light, and you know what they say about bud light.

There's only one moment where I though "well that's dead on Wolverine", in DOFP when they're in the plane, and Magneto just had his little tantrum, and Wolverine went like "so you've always been an ashole" :lol

DOFP May be the best Wolverine portrayal since X1.

That I wouldn't know, actually.

But "Soldiers need to suit up" is enough for me :lol

Whaaat? It was such a badass fight scene, it was just as brutal as the hotel room fight in Quantum of Solace.

You played me like a damn fiddle. :gah:

Oh no, I enjoyed the first Cap vs Winter Soldier fight immensely, I was just saying his attire had nothing to do with it.

I thought Jackman was awesome in X2 as well, that mansion attack is one of my favorite moments from the franchise, and his nice little cameo in FC was better than everything he did in Origins :lol

Last edited:
Oh no, I enjoyed the first Cap vs Winter Soldier fight immensely, I was just saying his attire had nothing to do with it.

I thought Jackman was awesome in X2 well, that mansion attack is one of my favorite moments from the franchise, and his nice little cameo in FC was better than everything he did in Origins :lol

Yeah, 1st Class moment was also top notch, and his rage in X2 was also memorable.

You know, I take back that about him being just as off as Bale, I still think we can get a better Wolverine, but Jackman does love the character and he puts a lot if soul into it, maybe I'm just being whiny.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Well, he's been very inconsistent, but under Singers direction, he's at his best, unfortunately this series has had some pretty bad directors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not at all, RDJ is actually almost tailor made to play Tony Stark, Jackman has had good moments, but he's not near being the Wolverine I know from the comics and cartoons.

Not really. From the earliest comics to leading up to the first IRON MAN, Tony Stark was usually written as a straightforward, Howard Hughes-type playboy/business man. Even in EXTREMIS, which directly influenced Favreau's film, Stark is almost humorless and it's easy to see how someone like Tom Cruise would be considered. But, Downey injected enough of his own personality and charisma into the role, it has since been remolded to fit his image in the comics and every other medium.

Well, he's been very inconsistent, but under Singers direction, he's at his best, unfortunately this series has had some pretty bad directors.

I can't fault Jackman, even in Origins, he still puts together a really good performance, despite a muddy as hell movie with so weird decisions made by the director.

I can't fault Jackman, even in Origins, he still puts together a really good performance, despite a muddy as hell movie with so weird decisions made by the director.

Yea thats true, his acting was actually as good as it could possibly be in that film.

There was nothing wrong with Logan in Origins, or anything film for that matter.

Jackman has been consistently great in all of them. Even X3 and Origins he's at his best. That scene with Jean Grey and killing her at the climax of 3 is one of my favorite scenes in all the films . . . and I hate 3.

There was nothing wrong with Logan in Origins, or anything film for that matter.

Jackman has been consistently great in all of them. Even X3 and Origins he's at his best. That scene with Jean Grey and killing her at the climax of 3 is one of my favorite scenes in all the films . . . and I hate 3.

I don't know brah, I think you wrong

If they redid his origin so that he's Canadian with some Native American mixed in, I could easily see him wearing the mask as a way to recall his ancestral roots or as a gift from a local tribe.

When Jackman woke up from a nightmare in orgins and tore the sheets. That was the perfect rage capture of wolverine.

Back