Wolverine PF

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with what you say. . .except the last couple sentences. Hype can have short-term effects that turn into long-term effects as people start believing the hype. Regarding whether great looking statues will "stand the test of time," an expert on public opinion once told me that "the masses are asses." Some great statues will be worth a lot down the road, some won't, because "greatness" is so subjective. If Sideshow released a crappy, but extremely rare statue, it would probably be worth a fair amount down the road. I worry about the Mark VI Maquette's long-term price, because they are producing the hell out of it (despite it looking like a very awesome piece).

I think the Logan PF is a good example of what you are talking about. I love that PF and it only goes for about $150. I could care less how much it goes for it looks great. The Thing (Modern Version) is another PF that could easily shoot up in value if they make the other three members in PF (which I am sure they will eventually). "Grail" is in the eye of the beholder.

I have a feeling that will be around for some time to come and possible drop.

it will be like the Mark III bust. I got it for $200 under retail, but once they all sold out, the price has slowly started to creep back up. The new maquette has a even higher es, so it will take longer, but eventually when its sold out, the price will go up on it cause its a bad ass piece.

it will be like the Mark III bust. I got it for $200 under retail, but once they all sold out, the price has slowly started to creep back up. The new maquette has a even higher es, so it will take longer, but eventually when its sold out, the price will go up on it cause its a bad ass piece.

I think the bust is a whole nother ballgame IMO. Especially low ES Mark II.

The term grail is thrown about way too loosley. Everyone has a special piece they like, but a grail is something that is truly unobtainable for the most part. There's only been a small handful of items made that fall into that categeory.

On another note - got my replacement head & hands from SSC today... nice and minty! I really like how SSC is sending these parts now, much better than the old bubble-wrap method.

replwolvieparts.jpg

Define "unobtainable." Is the implication that it is extremely rare?

I would say a really low ES plus the fact that it may be $1500-$2000+ but that is truly not unobtainable for myself or someone willing to pay that much for something they really want. I've done it before.

So maybe unobtainable is not the true word, maybe for $15,000 it could be more accurate, hence some bronze pieces.

but truly nothing is unobtainable if you have the money, unless it's one of a kind.

That's what I would say--unobtainable to one person isn't unobtainable to another. Unless there are, like, 5 of something in existence. It is all relative. As such, again, I'm not entirely sure if the "grail" term is over-used or not.

Would we all agree that the Hulk PF and Cap PF are grails? Just curious...

Anyhow, I can't wait till the wolvie PF ships! And can't wait to display him next to Gambit PF...and Cyclops PF....and eventually Rogue PF.

Cap goes typically for around $600-700, right? That's just slightly more than some new statues Sideshow is pumping out. Hulk is only slightly more than that.

Would we all agree that the Hulk PF and Cap PF are grails? Just curious...

Anyhow, I can't wait till the wolvie PF ships! And can't wait to display him next to Gambit PF...and Cyclops PF....and eventually Rogue PF.

To some. To people that really want them and dont have the money to spend on them, sure. If someone has the money to buy them they wouldnt be.

Cap goes typically for around $600-700, right? That's just slightly more than some new statues Sideshow is pumping out. Hulk is only slightly more than that.

To some. To people that really want them and dont have the money to spend on them, sure. If someone has the money to buy them they wouldnt be.

Good point. I personally consider CAP a grail because of his cost. Sure I can afford him, but that means I would have to miss-out on Cyclops, and Gambit. Guess its all priority-based.

Anyhow, I can't wait till the brown costumed Wolverine PF ships! And can't wait to display him next to Gambit PF...and Cyclops PF....and eventually Rogue PF.

Edited to reflect my preference. This is a great PF, but I won't be displaying him with Sabretooth. Holding out for the Jim Lee X-Men in PF form.

I would say a really low ES plus the fact that it may be $1500-$2000+ but that is truly not unobtainable for myself or someone willing to pay that much for something they really want. I've done it before.

So maybe unobtainable is not the true word, maybe for $15,000 it could be more accurate, hence some bronze pieces.

but truly nothing is unobtainable if you have the money, unless it's one of a kind.

Right you are Mr. Ski

My point was mpore along the lines that a true grail is hard to find no matter how much money you have. A good example is the Hulk vs Spidey EX dio. They pop up so rarely, it might not matter how much you're willing to pay - still very hard to come by.

that's a true grail IMO!

Edited to reflect my preference. This is a great PF, but I won't be displaying him with Sabretooth. Holding out for the Jim Lee X-Men in PF form.

:exactly: I got on the waitlist for the yellow/blue version thinking it wouldn't convert and that I would just get the Brown one when released. Now I guess I'll have both.

Too bad I'm not getting sabes, then I could display one wolvie with sabes and the other with the rest of the X-men.

here is a true grail...

holy_grail.jpg

everyone wants there kid to be in first place...... the fact is the other kids have to be second and third place to make first shine.

He is all time favorite artist. Jim Lee inspired X-Men PFs... :drool:drool:drool
Jim Lee was around when Wolvie's outfit switched back to yellow/blue, if memory serves (though I remember McFarlane's craptastic Spidey comic being where that change took place). And though Wolvie was yellow/blue for most of Byrne's tenure, he actually came up with the brown outfit during one of his last X-Men issues. Don't know that Jim Lee had much influence there, unlike the pouch-o-plenty Cyclops outfit that everyone seems to love for some reason.

I like Lee's work as well, don't get me wrong, but some of those ideas were just awful (Xavier wearing a safari shirt and driving a hover car? WTF?).

Yep, John Byrne came up with the brown costume. However, for purposes of consistency, the brown costumed Wolverine will diplay better with the Gambit, Cyclops, and Rogue PFs based on Jim Lee's designs...IMO.

Back