Who's ordered Ilum Padme so far???

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They don't even need to cover the whole body. Just enough to make it look like a girl.

And not a deformed girl with funny cracks.

I have the RAH Evangelion figures, and even they haven't fixed that. They come close with the way the vinyl stretches over the spaces, but there are definitely ways that you can't pose them because of it. They cured the symptom, but not the germ.

A female body that solves that problem would be a good opportunity to take advantage of.

I ordered a Padme. Not too happy with how she looks at this point, but I'm a completist with the SW line. If I don't like the way she looks when I get her, I'm sure I could trade her off for a six pack of grape soda and box of chocolate donuts.

John

I ordered a Padme. Not too happy with how she looks at this point, but I'm a completist with the SW line. If I don't like the way she looks when I get her, I'm sure I could trade her off for a six pack of grape soda and box of chocolate donuts.

John

On of the best posts in this thread.

:rock :rock :rock

:lol

I got her at Comic Con. It looks ok for what it is, a figure in an outfit that couldn't look "Star Warsy" in a realistic setting.

Like the Bespin Luke, I'm not totally sold, but I did preorder her. I'm not sure how I feel about making a cartoon character into a real life version, it doesn't always translate well. I'd like to see images of her without her hood on.

Pat

Like the Bespin Luke, I'm not totally sold, but I did preorder her. I'm not sure how I feel about making a cartoon character into a real life version, it doesn't always translate well. I'd like to see images of her without her hood on.

Pat

That's a VERY interesting point: the translation of cartoon STAR WARS characters or costumes into "real life".

One thing I think NEEDS to be done is, detail needs to be added. Cartoon version of characters are abstracted and minimalized to make it easy to animate. Take the CLONE WARS version of Threepio. In real life, Threepio is a golden art deco robot, with myriad details and the animation/cartooning nightmare that is reflectivity. He's a shiney gold charatcer with tons of little details.

When making the CLONE WARS version of Threepio, they abstracted him to be flat yellow instead of shiney gold, and many of the art deco details and lines of his form were minimalized.

OK. If the rule of abstraction applies when translating real life into cartoon, then shouldn't the inverse be true? If you're converting an abstract cartoon into a realistic 3-dimensional interpretation, shouldn't you ADD details, to make it seem more real and less cartoony?

Since these forums are all about opinions, my take on snowbunny Padme is this... I'm gonna get her and tweak & modify it until it looks the way I'D personally portray her if it my was job to translate her to to the real world.

I know not everyone is into customizing, and it sure is nice when a statue or figure is PERFECT, right outta the box. But sometimes its a lot of fun when you get a figure that needs a little nip and tuck. It's a lot of fun to make it better, and when its doen its ALL YOURS. No other kid on your block has one quite like it!

Whee! Toys!

-AH!

You mean like my Faramir? :D

I know what you mean dude--Padme is way too simple. I doubt that she would have been wearing an outfit like that in real life, and if they had done those scenes in the films it would look downright silly. In a cartoon you can pull off a skin-tight number in sub-zero weather, but not in a live-action film, which these figures reflect. I think more details would have helped a lot; as it is she looks like a real person trapped in a toy suit, just waiting to be set free and put in a real outfit. You must free her! Free her from her 1:6 fashion faux-pas!

I guess she'd be good for customs fodder if the outfit bothers one too much. I had an idea for an alternate universe-type custom, but I'm not that creative.

Hey, Cap-- you look funny in Safari! :lol

Adam has an excellent point about real-izing a 2D character as 3D. I think that the typical SW fan would cry foul - "well, that's not what she looked like in the cartoon!"

However I'd love to perhaps see more layering of the costume and more detail on her her boots and belt to make it more real world rather than cartoon world.

Like I said before, part of the reason that this figure seems odd/off isn't that it's poorly made, it's just the translation that's occurring. It's a nice idea to use the Portmans HS, and Trev did a great job on it, but I think to make the costume this way, the HS is wasted; if this figure had a cartoony portrait, I think it would feel ok. It's the fact that one one end, you have a very well crafted and realistic portrait of an actress and on the other end, you have an outfit which is very unrealistic. If you designed the costume more like the ski wear people use in the real world, or even more based on the styles of Empire's Hoth outfits, it would blend better with the Portman face. It's not so much that they're taking 2D and making it 3D, it's the combination of realistic and stylistic elements that's not meshing well; you really have to go in one direction.

I agree with this guy, clear back at post#7 in this thread.

I think the sculpt looked great and if it were a Ep2 or Ep3 Padme, I would prolly have ordered it. But as she is, I think the costume just didn't translate well from cartoon to figure and it doesn't mesh with the star wars universe. Definite pass...

As for the Endor troops, I am still looking for Brant and Nik. :monkey2

:monkey3

Oh yeah, and I am no longer looking for Nik! :rock :rock :rock

Poppy****. I've seen women wearing Snow Bunny Padme costumes (including the Ex) and it translated just fine.

you guys are making some good solid points here, and I agree with what you're saying Maulfan.

That said, I ordered one in hopes she'll look better by the time production rolls around. If she doesn't, I'll cancel - and that would make the 3rd SSC SW figure I've passed on (ANH Leia and Yavin Luke being the others).

Thanks MF. I agree. ;)

Hope he's not reading all this, might go to his head ;)

As for Padme, I've ordered her too, I think it'll be a nice figure, I don't think it isn't. My only feeling is the cartoon/reality combination kinda confuses the mind when you look at the piece.

And Irish, your comment about 1:1 snowbunny outfits is valid, but their costumes don't seem cartoony, perhaps it's that they use cloth and the patent leather style of the figure adds to the cartoon look. I think if they use cloth instead, this figure will sit better with our brains.

Who'd have thought collectibles actually trigger brain function hehe.

Back