Who would you like to direct the Hobbit?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Who would you now like to direct the Hobbit?

• Total voters

DinoLast

Super Freak
Reaction score
Now that Guillermo del Toro has left the directing chair, who would you like to take over?

This is from the OneRing.net

Peter Jackson: Current Hobbit co-writer and producer, he says he will not let the project fall apart but he told the Dominion Post: “If that’s what I have to do to protect Warner Bros’ investment, then obviously that’s one angle which I’ll explore.” It sounds like Jackson is reassuring Warners and fans not to despair. Conversations with the studios and Jackson on a replacement have already started and it isn’t as though there aren’t talented directors who would want to tackle these films. For example . . .

Neil Blomkamp: His “District 9″ came from the ashes of the failed “Halo” film, with Peter Jackson producing and earned an Academy Award nomination for “Best Picture.” Jackson thought the young director could handle the giant, special-effects-heavy video game film and then he made the independently-financed Wikus Van De Merwe film with down-on-their-luck aliens who crave cat food in Johannesburg. It earned over $200 million worldwide. Imagine what he could do with Weta and a budget. (And, we note, little or no studio interference!)

Sam Raimi: This man is a true geek (in a good way) and before del Toro was signed, we kept hearing his name as a strong possibility for “The Hobbit”. He has made action-oriented films with lighthearted moments and has nailed genre characters while producing big-time profits for studios. Fans who haven’t forgiven him for “Emo” Peter Parker need to have a guffaw with him for “From Hell. He gets it. Would he direct after not being the first choice? Bruce Campbell as Bard the Bowman?

Alfonso Cuaron: A lot of fans (and one would assume studio types) would love to see GDT’s friend step in to fill the gap. The director of a book-adapted Harry Potter film that runs circles around the rest in the series and especially the transcendent “Children of Men,” would be welcome. But unless this MGM situation gets settled soon (and we maintain from whispers that it might), what advice do you think he would hear from his pal Guillermo?

Andrew Adamson: It seems almost impossible that Adamson could direct and produce Narnia movies and Shrek movies and then fly under the radar as well as he has. Like Jackson, he calls New Zealand home and is based just a short flight up the island in Auckland. He already has extensive experience with Weta (LOTR’s, Narnia’s and the Hobbit’s special effects house) and might make the smoothest transition to helm the films. He may lack the “edge” that del Toro and Jackson and even Raimi and Blomkamp have shown in their bodies of work or it may be that he just hasn’t had the opportunities. Still, it seems impossible not to have him in the conversation.

Steven Spielberg and James Cameron are unlikely candidates despite what some fans wish for. Jackson’s circle of friends is pretty interesting though and Cameron raves about working in New Zealand and with Weta but there is nothing to suggest either of these busy guys are an actual possibility. Other names are being thrown around the internet wildly. Some are guesses, some are speculation and some are completely absurd. Hey! Why not Woody Allen? He directs movies after all!

I'd like to see how Nolan would handle fantasy. I wouldn't want Raimi because I hated the Spiderman movies, and I wasn't overly impressed with Narnia, so Adamson would be out too. Cuaron or Blomkamp would be cool, but I don't think I'll get over del Toro not doing it. That would have been too awesome.

With PJ producing and Del Toro still involved with the script. You'll see their fingerprints all over this regardless. I'd like a director that knows and understands both PJ and Del Toro that can translate the work and still have their own (great) style to add as well. Cuaron on this list fits those wants for me.

Voted PJ. Cuaron or Blomcamp would be my second choice though.

PJ was still always my first choice, and if he gets the chance to direct (if he wants to), this whole thing might be a blessing in disguise.

I would love to see Ridley Scott do it (though his upcoming slate of movies won't allow him) The look he got out of 'Legend' was nothing short of pure art.

Does anyone else feel like you can only catch the lightning in the bottle once? :dunno

I'm not trying to be all Debbie Downer here, but I do wonder if The Hobbit will be forced no matter which direction it takes? I have absolute faith in Weta and PJ but fighting against fate is a difficult thing to do.

Just a thought, I haven't really worked through it myself yet. :lol

Ow. I don't even want to think about that. Trolls turning to stone, finding Glamdring, Forhammer and Sting, goblins under the mountain, riddles against Gollum, stealing the ring, fighting giant spiders, SMAUG, the War of Five Armies...all gone...:monkey2

No way. Bite your tongue. :mad:

Figured I would get that type of response :lol , deservedly so. :)

It's just starting to feel like a Gilliam film. :horror

Blomkamp is Jackson's protege and District 9 was spectacular so he gets my vote.

Back