What Dinosauria pieces do you want Sideshow to make?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Riojas' work is featured rather frequently in PT. It's beautiful stuff, and he's a close pal of Sideshow artist Anthony Mestas! :rock

I just bought a book, Dinosaurs by Steve Brusatte over the weekend. The book comes with some great illustrations but what caught my eyes is that they illustrated the T-Rex with feathers on its neck. This is the first time I come across such an illustration of T-Rex and I thought it looked cool with feathers!

I did not scan the picture from the book because of IP rights but here's the book I am talking about: https://www.amazon.com/Dinosaurs-St...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1252500821&sr=1-1

Well, we know that some tyrannosauroids such as Dilong were covered in feathers. For this reason, many artists have been depicting tyrannosaurs with integuments of some kind. It is particularly common to see illustrations of tyrannosaur newborns covered in down.

Based on T.rex skin impressions alone we can conclude that adults were not entirely covered with feathers, and also factoring in the immense size of the animal, heat dispersal becomes an issue and feathers would have only served to insulate and trap heat in a multi-ton endotherm, making the existence of feathers far outside the realm of possibility in T.rex. This is also why elephants, hippos, and rhinos look the way they do, devoid of coats of fur.

T.rex young are commonly depicted with down fluff, and rightly so being that, while small, T.rex young had a much higher ratio of surface area to cumulative volume than adult organisms, and wouldn't have retained heat as well. Young Tyrannosaurs shedding down as they grow is easily applicable to both birds and reptiles today which molt their feathers and scales respectively as they mature.

Saw that Brusatte book myself, and depicting the tyrannosaurids with ornamental proto-feathers isn't entirely implausible. Losing down fluff and having proto-feathers emerge sporadically in some areas is possible, but the book has them around the head, and T.rex would have lost a lot of heat cranially; again, the insulation in that region, while it looks neat in the book, isn't likely.

In dromaeosaurids and many other small, derived theropods, it's not only accurate to depict them as feathered but it can be quite striking and beautiful as well.

I'd like to see some coelophysis - maybe based on the taphonomic evidence from the Ghost Ranch dig since the Triassic gets so little attention. A flock of them on a prosauropod carcass would be cool but one can only dream.

I'm torn between seeing smaller scale dinos in packs or having them just make one larger maquette.

I just don't know if the detail would remain if they were shrunk.

Now if they did say a dromeosaur pack VS Dio then did a single maquette of the same critter that would work for me.

I think I like the idea of a pack more. But I agree that losing too much detail would be bad. Hopefully Sideshow can find a happy medium. I know the statues aren't in scale, but I would like there to be some semblence of scale.

I think very few of these pieces will have any real scale..except for the dios. Those showing two animals together would take care of scaled pieces...but a larger smaller dino like a Compy would be good..and it would almost be lifesize if made larger in maquette format. :D

I was clamoring for SS to make a version of the compy from TLW for quite some time. I'm still waiting on that. :D

Now that would be very cool in 1:1 scale, especially if they get the eyes nice and glassy to make it realistic.

Wouldn't bother me in slightest though Dan..lol

Actually I can at least 4 times where there has been talk of making a 1/1 Compy from JP from various businesses , independent artists and sculptors, ect. Josh was the last guy to actually make any progress though and he said he could a pack of them..in various poses made of fibreglass for outdoors and then poseable latex ones for inside... been waiting on those from him for about a year now I think.

I think some 1:1 small dinos, or maybe dinos would be very awesome. I would probably buy one if they could keep it around the price of a 1:1 bust.

Now that would be very cool in 1:1 scale, especially if they get the eyes nice and glassy to make it realistic.

My thoughts exactly. There are plenty of diminutive dinos and a lot of opportunity there. The compy is just a personal favorite both due to Stan Winston's sinewy design and for its pivotal role in JP lore. If we could get pricing in or around what we see for a LSB, that would be outstanding.

Pteranodon, you mean? :D

What's LSB? I think someone tried to slip it into my drink at a party, once.

Pteranodon, you mean? :D

What's LSB? I think someone tried to slip it into my drink at a party, once.

Ouch, nipped by the grammar police ---- sure enough I typed it wrong, but I wants it! :monkey5

Oh and LSB = Legendary Scale Bust. :banana

Back